Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherri123w

Help! Countertop and Backsplash don't work together...

Sher W.
8 years ago

1. We just finished a major kitchen reno, now that i see the tiles and the countertop together, i don't like it. Our Island is 10 feet long, can I have 2 different countertops? or do I change the newly installed tile? What should I do?? Add a trim to break up the backsplash from the counter? I just don't like the way it looks, I may have made a very expensive mistake...Any advice would be so welcome at this point, we are 11 weeks in and I am at my wits end.

Comments (34)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 years ago

Did you decide this or a designer ? If you so sorry if a designer make them make it right they do not go with the counter.

• PRO
    GannonCo
    8 years ago

I think it looks great but? In any event glass tiles do not adhere that great so demo would be a minimum. Plus if you change the tops you have to change the backsplash as the backsplash lays on top of the counter.

You probably have quite a bit invested in the kitchen. To spend maybe $1500 to make you happy just have the backsplash changed and be done. By the way I hate glass tile. I think they have cheapened the look with all the low quality and stick on tile available. I honestly feel in 5 year they will be the item that dates a kitchen or bath.

• qam999
    8 years ago

The busy, multi-size, multi-color, slick looking glass tiles fight with the busy, multi-color, organic-looking granite. The most straightforward fix is to choose a new backsplash. Ceramic tiles in a single color and basic pattern (e.g. running bond or stacked) is the obvious choice. I would not choose glass, but rather, a ceramic in a color chosen from your granite. If the tile could have a slightly handmade look (not extreme), so much the better.

• sunnydrew
    8 years ago
    I have a similar glass listello for my tile bathroom tub and shower tile. It is really beautiful. My tile is more neutral and the pattern is more innocuous.
    I think the horizontal lines of your granite are too similar to the horizontal lines of the tile.
    In hind site I guess you know it is not complimentary. I am sorry for the work and decision you have to make.
    Removing glass tile is a messy job. You will have glass shards everywhere, so be prepared for it, if you choose to remove it.
    Have you looked into maybe changing a paint color , that may influence the effect more positively?
    You must decide which is les expensive or stressful to replace, the granite of the tile. And the damage that would be caused to one by removing the other.
    Oh, I feel your pain. So sorry. Let us know what you decide or how else we could possibly help you.
    Sher W. thanked sunnydrew
  • Sher W.
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The tiles were just installed yesterday, I wonder how hard they would be to remove? I think that is the least expensive choice. Something in one tone, It is so busy, it hurts my eyes everytime I look at it. Designers color choice, but the tiles she chose were a hexagon, even busier...

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    8 years ago

Buck stops with the designer. The pairing was not great, IMO.

• gustaviatex
    8 years ago

Sorry for the outcome, I am sure it is very distressing. But the glass mosaic tiles almost always look too busy with any patterned counter top. Something plain on the backsplash is needed to set off your countertops - and would be the least expensive way to fix the look.

• Sher W.
    Original Author
    8 years ago

A natural stone next time...our cupboards are an off white with a very finel horizontal greige line thru, its barely, I am so confused...lol

• drdeb1234
    8 years ago
    Change it, and as soon as possible. Nothing else will make it look nice, and you will breathe a big sigh of relief after.
    And...um...consider changing the designer too?
  • PRO
    GannonCo
    8 years ago

Time is on your side if they installed with mastic. Ask how they were installed. Mastic takes forever to dry if it ever does. Also glass tiles don't absorb any moisture which slows drying even more.

If they used a mastic based product I would bet a simple 8" drywall blade will scrape then right off. If done in a thinnest product you might have some work ahead of you but again most glass tile do not adhere well. They have a mesh glued to the back of them which is what the mastic/thinset grabs to. The tile itself should pop off. Then if you had the one installer who used the correct thinnest and back buttered each sheet you will have a mess.

If you have any second thought call your installer sooner then later it could make a big difference in demo costs.

• joiz2
    8 years ago
    Speak to your designer and see if she will let u change the backsplash.....I had the same problem w a kitchen backsplash and my designer changed it out for me. It's not awful, but it's just too busy. The counter top is really nice. Otherwise choose black cases and accessories and hope that it blends. Let me know what u do!! Joi
  • joiz2
    8 years ago
    Vases, not cases!
  • User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

1. Remove the tiles.

2. Replace with something in a solid, consistent color, either ceramic tiles, glass tiles or paint. The counter is too busy to pair with anything else and the very modern kitchen design calls for that as well.

3. Fire your designer.

• Elina R
    8 years ago
    I personally like the glass tile backsplash look. Yes, even with your "busy" countertop. The issue here it seems is that the backsplash pattern is a greenish hue which isn't too complimentary to the countertop hues. It could also be my monitor though.

If you don't like it, I think you should take it down before its cured. Life is too short to settle with bad choices that you made. You will have to look at this kitchen everyday!!! It should make you happy!! Don't let it bog you down... And use this as an opportunity to learn from. Good luck!
  • luvmidcentury
    8 years ago

I agree with the others. It's the backsplash that has to go. This time get samples of solid color tiles that you like and place them next to your countertop to see how they look. Then make your decision. I don't blame you for being upset. You need to be happy with the finished kitchen.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 years ago

Sorry no. I feel your pain actually. I would change the perimeter counter top or change the splash. One has to go.

Given the number of these dilemmas that appear and reappear on Houzz:

When you are renovating or building, a kitchen splash is virtually the last item to be installed in the kitchen. There is no need to select it until all your cabinetry and tops are in place. Have the drywall guy prep and smooth and have the painter paint the splash. Breathe. Then and only then.......bring samples home and stare at them within their new home. A month or more with no tile on the splash will kill nothing and no one. But you CAN avoid this scenario. Particularly true when using granite for tops.

Thank you.

• teamaltese
    8 years ago
    Consider brown or gold glass subway tile, or a mirrored tile. With both you'll get a reflective quality that will help brighten the room, and both are easy to keep clean. Your other option is to have the tile guys repair the backsplash wall, after removing the tiles, and paint it. Still functional, and you can take your time finding the right tile.
  • Angel 18432
    8 years ago

Your correct, it doesn't compliment the counter top. Remove, and replace with something simple. Neighbor did the same thing. You will probably have to have it drywalled first, then new tile.

• K Sissy
    8 years ago

I understand how you feel. I don't like my own backsplash that much. It's been 12 yrs, and I have been unhappy with it every day. Do yourself a big favor and change it now. Make your designer pay for some of it at least, especially, if she chose the colors. You really need a solid color for most of it. You could try a rope tile that is glass or a metal, or some glass tiles randomly placed, but for most of the backsplash, a stone would probably look great. Good luck, speak up for yourself now, not yrs later like me!

• sw042002
    8 years ago
    Coming out, we tried a few and they are coming off fairly easy, I don't think it has cured yet. Tile guy is coming on Tuesday , if we are done, he can repair and patch the wall. We will paint a neutral color and take our time deciding on a new tile. Thanks so much got all the great advice, I love this site,
  • smileythecat
    8 years ago

Good, live and learn I guess

• sunnydrew
    8 years ago
    I am glad it seems to be working. Your designer should compensate you for part of the changes, at least.
  • bdptfh
    8 years ago

I would change out the tile- go wtiht something simple- it will cost a lot less than replacing countertops

• drememon
    8 years ago

Glad you decided to delete the backsplash. Other than that unfortunate choice, your kitchen is really lovely.

• Angel 18432
    8 years ago

Keep us posted with new back splash.

• suezbell
    8 years ago

Even plywood as a backsplash would be less disconcerting as this color clash -- at least you'd be able to look forward to finishing it. Very much agree with all that say lose the backsplash. Like the family friendly kitchen otherwise.

Even if you cannot get any money back for the backsplash otherwise, keep your receipts as you donate what you pull off to Habitat to Humanity for a tax deduction -- some handy DIY person may find a way to reuse them.

• Angel 18432
    8 years ago

Give me a break - plywood would look better !

• PRO
    Chris Robinson
    7 years ago

The easy fix, but there would still be money involved would be to replace the Kitchen Perimeter counter top. It appears that you have quality cabinets and appliances. I question why your designer would even consider a laminate top in a kitchen of that caliber. There are nice laminates, don't get me wrong. Keep the island counter top the same, for now. The backsplash is OK. Not stellar, but OK. That's why I suggest replacing the Kitchen Perimeter tops, that would be easier. Find something that goes with the tile. The other route would be to remove most of the glass tile. Leaving a 4-6" deco line about 6-7 inches up. Then put a subway tile that compliments the Counter Top, in its place.

• Priscila Martin
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I really like it, by the way I just did mine and it looks like yours, busy countertop and multi color tile backsplash.

• Priscila Martin
    3 years ago

• Angel 18432
    3 years ago

That tile doesn't go with the counter. Which are you going to tear out?

• felizlady
    3 years ago

You may be able to remove the backsplash without damaging the counter. I would have a tile professional do the removal. The new backsplash should be simpler than the counter and the color of the backsplash should match a color in the counter material, maybe the gray. The current backsplash has absolutely no visual relationship with the counter.

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

Houzz friends- this is an old post. (I wish they would do something to prevent people from commenting on them). Let’s hope she ripped out the backsplash for nicer tile. She didn’t repost for over 4 years.