Software
Houzz Logo Print
rrsdesignbuild

Are frameless glass shower doors on the way out?

Whole Home Custom Interior Remodel · More Info

As an Austin Remodeling Contractor and Custom Home Builder, we are always on the lookout for the newest home design trends. The highly acclaimed Kitchen and Bath Industry Show this week showcased several unique framed shower doors. What do you think - is framed the new frameless?

Picture Perfect - Loving the new thick frames!
Less is More - I still love frameless!

Comments (20)

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I can see that black and red door being very striking in the right bathroom, although I'm partial to the frameless look personally.

    RRS Design + Build, LLC thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    I am not in love with the thick frames and the red.

  • 10 years ago
    I just hate shower doors period. longing to go frame less at least.
  • 10 years ago

    Love the frameless look it makes the bathroom feel bigger and let's in lots of light. I also don't find it hard to clean.

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Looks like frameless has started off as the strong favorite!
  • 10 years ago

    one thing is certain, there WILL be something after frameless, because otherwise you builders won't have a job to do. i dont think it will be this red and black number tho....

  • 10 years ago

    I have notice they are very much in-In some countries and not so much in others, something 'the latest' in one country may not catch up in another until a few years after. It depends.

    RRS Design + Build, LLC thanked Momof5x
  • 10 years ago

    Frameless looks cleaner, and is easier to maintain, so it's a classic from all angles.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Would anyone do a framed shower door in a secondary bathroom to add interest while keeping a frameless style in a larger master bath?

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    The majority of our clients request frameless as it can make smaller spaces appear larger. It also has a very clean look, which shows off the beautiful shower walls.

    RRS Design + Build, LLC thanked Pacific Builders
  • 10 years ago

    Frameless and Frame shower doors are hard to keep clean if you live in an area with hard water. I actually prefer a shower curtain. It can be taken down and washed.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Interesting perspective ocotillaks. What do people think about having a wet area/open shower without a shower door or curtain? Better/worse? Too cold? Not enough privacy? Or does that solve the cleaning challenges?

    Award Winning Spa Retreat in Austin, TX · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    Too cold where I live. Just stepping to the far end of the shower chills me, and that's with the steam kept in!

  • 10 years ago
    Re open shower, I think it depends on where you live, and the size of the bath. I personally don't splash around that much, so not that much wiping up for me, but my honey? He's a flailer in the shower, and the wipe up would be awful time consuming!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    That is hilarious teamaltese!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I have one of each in my house. Give me frameless for cleaning. I had to go with a frame due to the layout of one of our bathrooms, I don't particularly like the look and the daily wipe down takes longer.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    we are still seeing a trend in building out wet rooms like the one below .. no demand for framed showers , yet.

    Contemporary Bathroom · More Info

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    We still do more frameless glass doors than framed doors. Rarely do we have a request for a framed door.



    Bamboo & Egret Custom Shower Glass · More Info

    Check Point Custom Showers Glass Enclosures · More Info

  • PRO
    8 years ago


    Fairview Row Master Bathroom · More Info

    Still a fan of the frameless shower, especially when dealing with a beautiful combination of tile.