Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ziehmsa

Help!!!

ziehmsa
8 years ago
So I'm having a terrible time picking a countertop. I'm IN LOVE with Carrera Marble (of course) and everything that I keep picking is some kind of marble. I'm aware of all the issues of having marble in a kitchen so I've accepted the fact that I won't be getting it. I would like to do a marble backsplash instead to get my fix but now I have no idea what to do for the counters. I want it light with the more grey blue hues what are my options? I'm not crazy about Quartz (in my opinion it looks very fake and I don't really want to do just a solid color). I found a quartzite that was beautiful but crazy expensive. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!!

Comments (17)

• jhmarie
    8 years ago

This is the quartz I am using. It is hard to get an idea from a picture. It is not a marble look a like, but it is warmer in tone then some of the other gray/white quartz. There is a touch of beige:

It is called "Flaked Pearl" sold by Riverstone or "White Pearl" sold by LG.

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    8 years ago

Man-made products (Silestone,Riverstone, Caesarstone, etc) will produce marble-like products quite easily. A man-made stones do not have to be "one colour". They can mimic anything that mother nature can provide. They are NOT cheap! The more complicated movement that is produced, the higher priced they become. They start out pricing the natural stones....just so you know.

• PRO
    A.C.T. Builders, LLC.
    8 years ago

Where have you looked at quartz? Most people who want the look of marble but not the associated upkeep go with quartz and are usually very happy with it. Perhaps what you have looked at was not very high quality? There are also granites available that have a similar look to marble, but whatever you end up going with, if it looks like marble it usually has a price tag to match.

• seminack
    8 years ago

I've had 5 houses & a lot of experience with different counter finishes, e.g., marble, corian, Quartz. My latest custom built house is a quartz white and grey marble. It us beautiful & looks like marble & is not cheap in price or looks. It is about the same price of granite. Everyone thinks it is marble, unlike corian, marble & granite, quartz is NO MAINTENANCE that is why I recommend it to friends and clients. I have white cabinetry, marble look quartz counter & white subway tile backsplash.

• seminack
    8 years ago

Be careful about the countertop edge you pick. Bullnose & double bull nose are high maintenance. (Debris gets caught in the crevices) I went will a smooth, round edge.

• ziehmsa
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    These are what I found today that I liked the first 3 are quartzite, 4th is Quartz, and the last is granite. I love the Quartzite but it is so expensive. Has anyone had any experience with it? Is the maintenance a pain?
  • D DN
    8 years ago
    These are my quartz countertops that mimic carrara marble. It's LG Viatera Rococo.
  • PRO
    Erica Pigula Interior Design
    8 years ago

Love that first quartzite! Have you looked into Cambria? Also if you are still interested in marble, do a google search on using honed marble as a countertop. You will find a lot of people who discuss that it's not as bad as people say, as long as you can accept that it won't be "perfect." Good luck!

• ziehmsa
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Dawn can you send a photo of it from the top angle? Also I love your backsplash!
  • ziehmsa
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Erica I looked online and I don't think I like cambria. I found a Quartz I really like but the woman at the store said it was more expensive than even the quartzite so I didn't even bother taking a photo.
  • D DN
    8 years ago
    Here are a couple that shows the design a bit better. If you don't like this one, nearly every other quartz manufacturer makes a marble look-alike too.
  • D DN
    8 years ago
    Attached this time.
  • Kathi Steele
    8 years ago

I have Cambria and I love it. They make Brittanicca, Torquay and Ella that resemble marble. I have Bellingham. Wears amazing well.

• PRO
    Stone Systems
    8 years ago

Depending where you are located I would highly suggest looking into full slabs of the colors that Kathi Steele mentioned, Silestone has a few lusso, helix, Ariel,..... and Caesarstone probably at the peak of price has amazing Calacatta. Also Polarstone has some really amazing Marble look alikes. Good luck on your search. If you are near San Diego we have full slab viewing of all that i mentioned!

• mrscollie
    7 years ago
    Stone systems do you slab viewing of polarstone?
  • User
    7 years ago

ziehmsa, all 03 natural stones that you shared pictures are marbles, not quartzites; all 03 stones are marbles, nothing to do with quartzite.

The second one, actually is a very brittle marble, it is amazing to see so many wholesalers and fabricators labeling incorrectly