Software
Houzz Logo Print
kristi_dorman

Backsplash

10 years ago
Looking for suggestions on a nice backsplash. My cabinets are alabaster with a mocha glaze and my island is expresso. The granite will be ornamental. The walls are painted a revere pewter. Not sure if I want to go with more of a gray or a taupe for the backsplash. Opinions are appreciated. See pic of kitchen below. Thanks!

Comments (53)

  • 10 years ago
    Do you think white will look good considering the cabinets are alabaster? What color grout would you use?
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    HI -- I think a nice taupe glass tile would be classy looking . One question I have is .... is the island already set in that angled position ? If it is and it could still be changed , it would be better to have it set more squared to the cabinets . When tiling behind the range hood the tile should go up to the cabinet top height . Also look at the stainless looking tiles for the backsplash -- it won't go out of style and favor .

  • 10 years ago

    Before you run out and buy your backsplash tiles, wait until your granite is installed. Lighting will make a huge difference in how things look. But considering your granite is busy, I'd go for a backsplash that is one color. Subway tile is lovely, it comes in so many colors (but I'd keep it a neutral color found in your granite). Be sure to add under cabinet LED strip lights. Personally I like glass subway tile as it adds a visual depth to your walls. If it's in your budget, take the backsplash all the way up to the ceiling. (Or at least tot he top of the cabinets on either side).

  • 10 years ago

    Go to the bottom border of your upper cabinets. Backsplash is where you should add your personal style and something that complements the overall tone of your home (e.g.contemporary, rustic, classic). It's the WOW factor. You can't go wrong with white subway but personally, I'd add something that makes your counters pop. (Just avoid sticks, i think that's overdone, but I am by no means a PRO). It looks like you may have have a classic home so neutral subway tile (in ceramic or natural stone) that highlights your counters would go a long way. Make it something you love!

  • 10 years ago
    I have very high ceilings and will have pendant lights hanging above the island. I felt the island looked better at an angle and seemed to give more room in the kitchen. I have an open floor plan.
  • 10 years ago
    Would you guys recommend more of a grey or a taupe tile considering I am going with ornamental granite? Should it be light or darker?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Light grey or all white is the color range I would recommend. Subway tile is always a great way to go!
  • 10 years ago

    Do you have a sample of the granite?

  • 10 years ago

    I do, but don't have a pic. It is the ornamental. There is not a lot of natural light so would you agree I needed to go with white?

  • 10 years ago

    Not sure if it matters, but my pulls on the cabinets will be oil brushed bronze.

  • 10 years ago

    White subway tile is always a safe bet. You said your granite is ornamental. Does that mean there's a lot of movement? If so, it is best to go with something simple for the backsplash (like a solid subway). Does it read cold or warm? Both taupe and gray are neutral so it's likely either would go. Maybe go to a tile store a pick out some samples and post. You might get a lot more input and advice. However, if you need to choose something right away, go with the white subway.

  • 10 years ago
    What color scheme is in the furniture that will be seen from the kitchen? I still say add some color - doesn't have to be the whole backsplash but there are some wonderful tiles out there that could really make this kitchen special.
  • 10 years ago

    This is a picture of ornamental granite.

  • 10 years ago

    I do need to pick something super fast. I think that's why I am panicking. I like color so that is why I was leaning towards a little color versus white, however I understand white will always be in.

  • 10 years ago

    My living room furniture is a solid dark taupe I would say. It is a sectional with an ottoman.

  • 10 years ago

    I will have stainless steel appliances including a stainless wall mount hood.

  • 10 years ago
    What colour counter tops ?
  • 10 years ago

    I personally would go with taupe or white. There are so many options with natural stone and ceramics (especially in subway style). Depending on the style of your home and your budget, you could make the backsplash be the statement in your kitchen.

  • 10 years ago

    I always try to steer people toward a simple backsplash that will let the granite be the star. Your granite has a lot going on so you don't want to install a backsplash with lots of tiny mosaics or accent tiles.


    These 2 x 8 white glass tiles would be great with your counters and cabinets.

  • 10 years ago
    Colour of counter top is a little washed out hard to tell from pic. I am doing a similar colour scheme at the moment my counter tops are darker so I am going with same colour backsplash as my cabinets and a dark floor.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    White or cream subway is the safest bet. You can bring color in in other ways. There are several white/cream subway options available from Dal Tile to Arizona Tile, etc. pull all your samples/colors/finishes together and pick the one that plays nicely with all.

  • 10 years ago

    You could go with a beige travertine subway tile. Google search will find a million examples.

  • 10 years ago
    What is everyone's opinion on beveled subway tiles? Like it or not?
  • 10 years ago

    Another example of a very subtle backsplash.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Kristi, re: beveled tiles; what is the style of your home, how would you describe your style, how long to you anticipate staying in the home---ie, does this choice need to suit the masses or is it a long term kitchen for you?


  • 10 years ago

    That's a gorgeous backsplash!

  • 10 years ago

    As of now it will be a long term kitchen for myself. I was primarily asking opinions on the beveled look versus non beveled. It is a 1800 sq ft all brick home. Open floor plan.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    It looks great! It's more of a traditional look which is why I asked (reg. subway is more casual/glass subway more modern/etc...)...what do you think of it? If your style is traditional and you are drawn to it---go for it!

  • 10 years ago

    Some backsplashes with ornamental granite:

    GIallo Ornamental Kitchen · More Info


    Kitchen Island · More Info

    SE Clinton st · More Info

    Giallo Ornamentale Granite Counters · More Info

    Hampton Linen · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    I haven't seen the beveled subway in person is why I was asking. I'm not sure if I am drawn to it. That's the problem. I definately want the backsplash to stand out, and I am just not certain using white subway tiles will do that. Maybe travertine would be more my style..

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    We've used travertine on several occasions with Giallo Ornamental and it works very well with the stone. Several of the photos groveraxle posted are travertine. One of the photos posted was also a beveled tile so you can see that. We have used Alabaster frequently in homes for trim and it is a warm white so I would hesitate to put a white subway with it - you may be able to find an off-white subway if that is the direction you end up going.

  • 10 years ago

    Taupe works with Revere Pewter, your living room, island and of course your granite. Consider a larger format such as 4x12 as pictured below.


    Country Cottage Glass Subway Tiles, 10 Square Feet · More Info

    Just say NO to plain old boring white subway tile.

  • 10 years ago

    Be careful if you go with colored tiles, especially if you don't have a lot of natural light. Backsplashes can go very dingy quickly without the proper lighting.

  • 10 years ago

    What is the name of what you posted Leelee?

  • 10 years ago

    Is anyone familiar with Daltile Almond?

  • 10 years ago

    Kristi, do you have any tile showrooms near you? The best thing to do is go and get some samples and bring them to your kitchen. You need to live with them for at least 24-48 hours to find the right choice. If you can do this, it's really the only way to go. And by the way, Jeffrey Court has some really cool glass subway tile in the shades that might work. As an alternative, travertine and white subway would work too (as stated before). It's really up to you and all of these choices will be great. Just insert your personality and you'll be fine. (Look up Jeffrey Court, Daltile, Arizona tile, American Olean) showrooms. Good luck! Would love to see what you choose. Finally, don't be shy about bringing pictures that you like from Houzz. You'd be amazed how helpful tile salespeople can be. :)

  • 10 years ago
    Unfortunately, I live in a very small town, and no we do no have any showrooms nearby so I don't have the option of getting samples and comparing. That's why I'm trying to make a decision using online pics. This is one I found of the almond, but again it is hard not seeing it in person.
  • 10 years ago
    Is it set in stone that the island is staying on an angle? As suggested earlier, you may regret this and it will be impossible to change once your floors are installed. It cuts off the room at a weird angle.
  • 10 years ago

    Got it. Well it does look nice in this picture. Let me ask you, when you look online on houzz at all of the pictures, what style "makes you happy". Yes, tile CAN make you happy. If you had to choose, without anyone else's opinion, what do YOU like. Clean and simple (glazed ceramic)? Rustic (stones)? Contemporary glass?

  • 10 years ago
    Don't forget, once your countertop is on, you will have to dodge around the angled island.
  • 10 years ago

    I would definately say not simple..lol. The more fancy the better. I do like the subway tiles as I sent in the pic, however I think I am struggling with white since my cabinets are not a bright white. Plus, my island is expresso and I just don't know how I feel about plain white. I have looked at some of the travertine, but I certainly don't feel like it makes the kitchen pop if that makes sense. Just so confusing..especially when you're on a budget.

  • 10 years ago

    Honestly, I don't think you'll go wrong with the almond subway. It will warm up the room. And I love mixing gray with taupe. I've done this in my own home over and over and it works. This is tough for anyone and incredibly hard to do online. best of luck! :)

  • 10 years ago

    I can see how you might not feel comfortable with white subway. But whatever you choose, almond or white, you can add textures such as live plants and a textured shade and you're done. You don't need to spend a lot to make a space really nice and classy.

  • 10 years ago
    Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my posts!!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Hi Kristi, the white subway is a clastic, think about using the mocha color from your glaze on your cabinets for your grout color. That's a sure fire way it will blend well.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    This is a simple grey subway tile. I think you may be looking for something different than your wall color? The brick pattern on this made for a great texture effect.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    This is a travertine tile look under white, similar countertop to yours. This has a clost to match porcelain cigar piece for texture and division of the tile patterns.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Harder to see, but this is an actual tile called "alabaster". It has clear glass dot tiles inlayed that have a foil backing of stainless, copper, and reds and a pewter pencil border. The thought was to capture the other colors already in the room and pull them into the tiled splash. If you cant find that "perfect" tile to do all things, accomplish accent via the tile layout and or a mosaic inlay. Happy Hunting.

  • 10 years ago

    Can anyone post a picture of a kitchen backsplash using Daltile Rittenhouse and the color is biscuit and it is a glaze?

Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio