Software
Houzz Logo Print
beachem

Hacking IKEA cab for trash pullout

10 years ago

I promised to post about how I hack an IKEA cab for trash pullout under the sink.

I'm using two cabs- 36" and 18" for the Stages Kohler 45. I had to readjust the island configuration a bit as the plumbing was in the wrong place after switching from custom to IKEA and some design changes.

The plumbing was done over a year ago before I had any detailed plans. I only roughed out in my head what I wanted.

I struggled with putting the piping inside or outside the cab. After measuring out the garbage disposal, hot water tank, water filter, electrical box and allowance for connection piping, it was way too crowded there with 16".

I went with outside the cab.

I'll be cutting holes for the hookup but also planning on piano doors that opens into that space for access after everything is in.

The sink hole is on the right side just above the disposal that I measured in the first picture. I'm screwing in a filler in the middle and installing slides on the left. I randomly pulled out an 18" drawer in the dark and it was the wrong one. I'll be switching to the deep 18" drawer so that I can set up the Utrusta auto trash.

The Fastbo backsplash sheet you see will be my waterproof sink liner. It will also run completely up the side walls. The liner on the right will be a removable unit. the left side will be glued due to the slides. Total cost is $21.

Hopefully this will allow me to disinfect with bleach frequently without destroying the cabinet paint.

Comments (18)

  • 10 years ago

    Bump for Richbeau. You can use any piece of wood that's 1 1/2" wide for the divider.

  • 10 years ago

    Yeah a 1-1/2" thick board seemed about right to me. My water feeds are small and the waste line comes out of the wall about a 20" above the floor. We're thinking along the same lines. Thanks for posting this.

  • 10 years ago

    @rich you only need a 6" height board. It should be plenty for the slides. The door would be attached to the drawer.

  • 10 years ago

    I'll grab a nice piece of 2x6 fir then.

  • 10 years ago

    Here's my version of this hack...




    Trash bins to the left, kitchen cleansers and such on the right. Sink drain is in the right rear and there's enough space behind the trash pullout to run a 3/8" hot water line up.

  • 10 years ago

    It looks good and damn you already got your doors on. So jealous.

  • 10 years ago

    So both of you have one pullout & one cabinet door? Is the pullout on the DW side of the sink or the other side of the sink (if that makes sense)?

  • 10 years ago

    My sink is a Stages 45 and the drain is offset on the right. The dishwasher will be on the right side of the cabinet.

  • 10 years ago

    @fabulatrice Our dishwasher will be to the left. This is not perfect but it will work for us.

    @buehl I like your idea. I had seen this hack on IKEAFans and was sorely disappointed when the site was taken down. Luckily @beachem had worked it out.

  • 10 years ago

    Excuse me for this, but I'm a bit confused. Ikea already sells a trash pullout sink base, I'm using theirs in my design. Why is this modification necessary?

  • 10 years ago

    The modification allows you to have two separate pullouts under the sink. The standard IKEA version is just one big pullout.

    Having two pullouts means you can pull out one of them and still have some of the space in front of the sink to stand in, so that you can use the sink and the trash bucket at the same time.

  • 10 years ago

    Oh, cool. that makes sense (the concept, not the instructions, still totally lost on that front, lol). Reading this did get me thinking about where the garbage disposal goes if you use the ikea pullout sink cabinet in its current off the shelf state? Is it constructed to work with a disposal, or is a modification needed?

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    A disposal just hangs from the sink bottom so the trash pullout does not affect it. Trash pullout is simply a drawer large or small with a door attached to the bottom of the drawer front.

    You can't put a trash can under the disposal unless it's short enough to fit.

  • 10 years ago

    Thank you!!

  • 9 years ago
    You guys are my heros right now. I could kiss you
  • 9 years ago
    Thank you for your help!
  • 7 years ago

    @richbeau this is the perfect solution. Having a 36" sink cabinet with only one large pull out just isn't logical. Thanks for sharing.