Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliemdesign

So-Cal Beach Home

Julie Mitchell
8 years ago
Hi Houzzers, I need your advice. I am stuck on how to finish this space. I want it to look amazing! The rest of our house has a beachy, yet elegant vibe which I love.

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Alluring Window NYC- Window Treatments
    8 years ago

we can help you with the window treatments aspect.

Our company specialized in window treatments,we invite you to check our website:

http://alluring-window.com

Patryce Design project - Hudson Street, Hoboken, NJ · More Info

• Bev
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Your wall color looks right for that beachy feel. A great piece of beachy art hung above the headboard would help a lot.

• Julie Mitchell
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I am thinking more along the lines of a bench and a rug but I'm stuck on what kind . I also Am not sure about what to put above my bed. I know a beachy something. but not quite sure what.

• PRO
    Paige O'Coin
    8 years ago

Area rug, drapes (Panels), and art above the bed! :)

Hand-Tufted Amulet Floral Light Gray Rug, 5'x8' · More Info

Moroccan Handwoven Star Rug, Aqua, 72"x108" · More Info

Maya 2" Thick Pile, Berber-Style Rug, Blue, 5'3"x7'6" · More Info

Dunes Hand-Tufted Rug, Light Blue, 7'6"x9'6" · More Info

Julie Mitchell thanked Paige O'Coin
  • PRO
    Paige O'Coin
    8 years ago

Painting Acrylic Original Spring Sky Beach Abstract Seascape by Ato Kabe · More Info

"Coastal Reflections I" Original Art · More Info

Julie Mitchell thanked Paige O'Coin
  • Julie Mitchell
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you KBG designs I was actually thinking about some of those things. I just haven't found the right floor lamp. What color on the bench? would you say? The same color stripe that's in the wall with a white background? I also was thinking about a mirror above the bed but everything is so square in the room & also the Feng Shui issue of a mirror above a bed.

• llilibel03zone10bsunset24
    8 years ago

I don't know how much you planning on spending but the travertine or fake travertine flooring is not at all beachy. I would lighten up the color on the wall (less grey) and use a painted wood floor (white or very light color). Then find a good piece of art for behind the bed (but being California anchor it well).

• PRO
    Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Please don't hang a mirror above the bed....If you are in SoCal and there is an earthquake, a mirror is too heavy and could injure the person in the bed.....Hang canvas art that is wrapped around a lightweight wood backing....No frame with glass.......

Julie Mitchell thanked Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
  • Julie Mitchell
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I agree with you, re: the flooring. It is actual travertine tile, and I don't love it either. It was just inherited when we bought the house. It is used throughout the house. I do like the fact that it keeps the house very cool in the summer (it gets so hot here), and it also doesn't show sand.

• decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

This reminds me of your bedroom and could work for you.

New Construction - Bethany Beach, Del. · More Info

This is what I'd do to your furniture to bring it into "beachdom."

Traditional Bedroom · More Info
    Help anchor and theme your room with a rug under the bottom 1/3 of the bed.
    Lido Island I · More Info

• Julie Mitchell
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I actually was thinking of using milk paint on the bedroom furniture, (I am very over the pine. ) I also love the striped rug! Thank you.

• decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

Let us see the "after" pix!