Software
Houzz Logo Print
smstef

HELP! Did I choose the wrong grout color for my backsplash?

10 years ago

My backsplash was installed yesterday. The tiles themselves are gorgeous, but I chose a bright white grout and I'm afraid I made the wrong choice. I think it looks pretty, but something doesn't feel right. I actually liked the look of the tile better before the grout was added (see last pics). Is there anything I can do at this point or am I stuck with the white grout? Would you change it or is it fine as-is? Why does it feel like the white grout is not right?

Comments (39)

  • 10 years ago

    It looks pretty. The white grout makes the tile pattern stand out. while before they were blending in a bit more..It depends on the look you are after. You have a beautiful kitchen.

    smstef thanked printesa
  • 10 years ago

    I love the white grout against the colored tiles.

    smstef thanked susanalanandwrigley
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I am a very picky person and I think it looks gorgeous. If you wanted less contrast, I can see the shock you might be going through, especially after looking at the tile with no grout. I would let it sit for a while and see if your eye will eventually rest on the overall look of your kitchen (which is beautiful!!). If it still bothers you after a month or so, then I'd look into painting the grout a color that more closely matches the actual color of the tile.

    For the record: you did not choose a wrong color for your grout ;)

    smstef thanked User
  • 10 years ago
    Give it a few days to get used to it. You are concentrating on the new tile and maybe not seeing the whole picture yet. I think the tile looks great with white grout. Maybe so many white items on the counter is making it stand out more. Try different canisters in a color you like and adding a few other small pops of color to redirect your eye.
    smstef thanked justbeckyg
  • 10 years ago

    Personally, I prefer to use grout the color of the tile so that it just disappears. In this case, however, I think it looks just fine. If you had very busy countertops, then a more monochromatic tile/grout combination would compete less. As it is, your countertop material is relatively quiet so that the backsplash suits it perfectly. Don't stress, the kitchen looks beautiful. Enjoy it.

    smstef thanked flopsycat1
  • 10 years ago

    It's perfect!

    smstef thanked Terri Henderson
  • 10 years ago

    Gosh, no. Anything else would have been a mistake.

    smstef thanked leelee
  • 10 years ago
    It looks beautiful!
    smstef thanked loudon1
  • 10 years ago
    So pretty - the grout color blends beautifully with all the other finishes too.
    smstef thanked predpenny
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Looks great! Nice kitchen!



    smstef thanked Sound Painting Solutions, LLC
  • 10 years ago

    You made the right choice. The same thing has happened to me every time I had something tiled in the house, and after a few days, I'm over it, and it's all good. Don't worry about it.

    smstef thanked User
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    It's perfect. All new things take a couple of weeks to get used to, even if they are beautiful and just right. A darker grout would be a mistake in my opinion. By the way, your kitchen is awesome!


    smstef thanked Adrian S. Cutchshaw Architectural Design+Build
  • 10 years ago
    It looks beautiful!
    smstef thanked kara vosk
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Is that marble? The tile is dark as it is wet from the installation. It can take a few days to dry and whiten again. The grout will then not look as pronounced.

    smstef thanked Brian Gannon
  • 10 years ago

    It looks perfect. You did great!

    smstef thanked Susan Mooney
  • 10 years ago

    It's so common to question these decisions, but you made a great choice. I second Glo's response above.

    smstef thanked creativehomeowner C
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    That's what I would have chosen!

    smstef thanked Our Town Plans
  • 10 years ago

    Btw-which counter and tiles do you have? Beautiful combination.

    smstef thanked creativehomeowner C
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    They look fine as they are

    smstef thanked Snaggy
  • 10 years ago

    Looks like mine!

    smstef thanked stoufmason
  • 10 years ago

    Beautiful!


    smstef thanked christyjsmith
  • 10 years ago

    Awesome choice, beautiful kitchen... sit back and Enjoy! ;)

    smstef thanked zazfuzzroc
  • 10 years ago
    Wow, thanks everyone! I think 6 months of planning has really gotten to me and I can't really even "see" the kitchen yet like some of you said. I'll sit with it for a few weeks. I really appreciate the comments!
  • 10 years ago

    I think it looks perfect! Enjoy your new kitchen!

    smstef thanked bbkieffer
  • 10 years ago

    Add me to the list of those who love it! Gorgeous tile and I think the grout accentuates it beautifully!

    smstef thanked mmessbl
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Hi smstef: it looks beautiful, and really is the perfect choice to reinforce the white in the cabinetry and counters. The contrasting grout also highlights the tiles geometry without looking too busy. A grout matching the tile may have looked too subdued.

    - Steve

    smstef thanked Beautiful Space Co
  • 10 years ago
    Now the tile looks like brick.
  • 10 years ago
    No it looks very good.
    smstef thanked wnec1
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    It looks lovely with the grout you selected.

  • 8 years ago
    Is that Pental statuario? What is color and name of your tile? I want to get a sample!
  • 5 years ago

    Hi! @smstef what is your countertop material and name? Your kitchen is beautiful!!


  • 5 years ago

    It’s ceasarstone statuario nuvo - honed. Still adore it 5 years later! (and I completely forgot that I freaked out about the grout! Ha!)

  • 5 years ago

    I like it too! Your grout-less photo is also very nice and quite different, but I think the finished product looks really great. Looking at it without any context, it would never occur to me that something was amiss here or not as intended. That said, if you don't like it, that matters a lot more than if everybody here does. :) Google seems to suggest that it's possible to remove and replace grout without replacing tile, so if you really don't like it, that might be something to look into.

  • 5 years ago

    @smstef lol, I didn't even realize how old this post was! Thank you for your response! One more question, if you don't mind. What color are your cabinets? Thanks!

  • 5 years ago

    Lovely kitchen❣️I think all your choices, even your grout color, is beautiful. Even if the grout choice bothers you a little now, in time you will forget about it. Once the newness wears off you will get used to it too. Enjoy your kitchen.

  • 5 years ago

    It looks great...don’t overthink things! You aren’t even used to it yet. I like seeing the individual tiles in the backsplash. Matching grout would make it look solid.

  • 5 years ago

    I like to have a bit of color added with a fabric valance up above the window. If you need privacy from neighbors’ windows, you can add a window shade.

  • 5 years ago

    Cabinets are Benjamin Moore White Dove. My favorite white paint!

Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio