Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

My first Sonatini and more to come....

I'm going to start a new thread as I've got several Sonatinis about to bloom. Please feel free to add your pictures here too.

First to bloom is one of my new Ratatouilles. Only 2 flower, (I'm wondering if they produce 4) but they are really beautiful. Very green and perfectly formed with a fairly tall scape and just plain sweet!! The flowers are tiny as you all know.

Comments (77)

• raymond__schuck
    7 years ago

Two of my three Orange Rascals are producing leaves and I kept the worse bulbs of the bunch. At the price we paid, two out of three is not bad.

• Michal
    7 years ago

yes, Andre is very reasonable considering bad bulbs. I just gave him some heads up that two of the bulbs are not looking good right after I got them by mail and sorted. But I also wrote him not to worry too much about it since I got 3 per each variety and those things just happen. And also I took best care I could about those bulbs and we'll see. Andre answered in few hours that I shall let him know if they're gone because of that and we'll arrange something in return with next order....

But all those bulbs are looking very good and fine now and no reason to complain!

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Eyecatcher, living up to it's name!!!!

This was the mislabeled bulb that I thought might be # 114 but it's Eye Catcher for sure and it's hard to ignore!! I love it!! It's also large 5" plus.

and another photo of # 105 with two more flowers open...

• mariava7
    7 years ago

So if I am the only one who got bad bulbs just ignore my post before I get misunderstood. Informing is totally different from complaining.

All of my Yellow Rascals are performing and with scapes. Yay! Here is the first one to open it's flowers, 2 scapes on this bulb. Have a good weekend everyone!

• Nguyen Dung
    7 years ago

The #105 is stunning Donna! I didn't see on their website. How to buy it Donna?

Original Author
    7 years ago

No 105 was one of a few new varieties that was offered for the group order at the last minute. There were just a couple of handfuls to go around to 8 people. I think that they had a few that were blooming size so they offered them to the group perhaps just to try them out. I'm sure that this will be offered next year and you'll have your opportunity to buy then. There were a few that I didn't try so I'll be looking for the others next year too!!

If I were you, I would email them and just tell them that you've seen the flowers blooming and how much you liked it and you hope that it will be available to everyone next season. It couldn't hurt...☺☺

Donna

And by the way, the pictures I took look like they have some orange in them but this is a very dark red, very striking...

Original Author
    7 years ago

Just another Eyecatcher.

I'm really in love with this one, it certainly stands out in a crowd and you can see her from way across the room! I'm not going to pollinate on this particular bulb because I just want to admire it but since I ended up with 4 of these I think one or more of the others I will try. I'm thinking Madame Butterfly, maybe Flamenco Queen or maybe a cybister or maybe Santos or maybe one of everything!! Something should take!!

Original Author
    7 years ago

I just thought I'd throw my Sunny Nymph in here. Bought this last year and it bloomed beautifully but this year it put out 6 flowers, 5 of which are out now and there's another scape coming. All this is a plastic coffee cup!! She's busting out at the seams and when she's finished blooming I'll give her a bigger pot!! These flowers are VERY fragrant I mean fragrance that you can smell just walking by!

Donna

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    7 years ago

Beautiful!

• catsandhippies
    7 years ago

Beautiful indeed! I'm not a big fan of doubles but this looks really stunning!

• jstropic (10a)
    7 years ago

Here's my H.120. I really like this although I also have it flowering low on the bulb this year. Hopefully next year will be better. Sweet sixteen is a very strong sonatini, putting down roots fast, having six or more flowers on a scape and holds its blooms for a long time - and it is a sweet pink color as others have shown. J

• jstropic (10a)
    7 years ago

Veneto, I tried to straighten this but it keeps going sideways :) Anyway this is really pretty sonatini and the photo doesn't really show the colors. It is more pink and paler. From B & B - J

Original Author
    7 years ago

Jody,

Your # 120 is much better formed than mine was even though I liked mine, I think yours is prettier!! I guess she likes to bloom on a low scape. Very pretty!

Your Veneto is lovely which ever way you look at it!

Donna

• catsandhippies
    7 years ago

Beautiful flowers everybody, cogratulations!

I have a question about Sweet sixteen's color. I saw it at Keukenhof this year and liked it very much but the color was different, especially to that Michal showed in his photos. How does yours look like, Jody?

Anja

• jstropic (10a)
    7 years ago

here's my Sweet Sixteen not sure how the picture is. Anja your pictures appear a little "peachy" this flower is a clear pink with no orange overtones.

• jstropic (10a)
    7 years ago

Donna, I'm thinking our flowers will improve after the bulbs settle in and get roots. The differences might be due to stress. We will see next year :) Veneto is a very pretty pink with different shades as well as markings. It also sets down roots easily. I noticed that some of my sonatini were taking forever to open their flowers so I moved them out into higher light and that seemed to spur them on as they are starting to bloom. 1755 is next.

• jstropic (10a)
    7 years ago

Orange Rascal from B&B was supposed to be Alaska but I'm glad I got this instead as I did't have any real orange flowers and this is definitely orange.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Orange Rascal is really cute. I didn't get any # 1755 so I can't wait to see what I missed.

• mariava7
    7 years ago

I'm quite impressed with Sweet Sixteen as 2 out of 3 bulbs are now in bloom with 6 flowers per scape!

• jstropic (10a)
    7 years ago

Here is 1755

Original Author
    7 years ago

Gorgeous color!!

• jstropic (10a)
    7 years ago

Donna, it is a pretty little thing! Very cheerful :)

Original Author
    7 years ago

Jody, I meant to ask, is this a Sonatini or one or RC numbered offerings from the other year??

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    7 years ago

Viridi Rascal and Eyecatcher

Original Author
    7 years ago

Love them both!!! None of my Viridi Rascals want to bloom this time around, but are growing roots and leaves.

• jstropic (10a)
    7 years ago

Kristi, Really curvy Rascal and Eyecatcher seems to be just that and seems to bloom well for everyone!

Donna, 1755 is from the sonatini order this year. This one had a scape for weeks and weeks without developing, so I put it in more sun and it finally opened. - J

Original Author
    7 years ago

Here is my second bulb of # 120. The first scape is blooming with just 2 flowers, the second scape is opening in the neck of the flower and there is a 3rd scape growing normally which hasn't opened yet.

I just love these flowers; in person they are very vibrant and a deep red with the green/cream. I haven't pollinated these yet, (I didn't on my first bulb) but the bloom opening in the neck probably selfed as I couldn't get the pollen out. Since then, the flower is mostly out of the neck but no scape visible yet.

Sonatini # 105 is very happy to couple with just about everyone; she is producing many viable looking seedpods!! She has some very distinguished partners!

Don't forget to click on the picture to make it larger....

Donna

I forgot to add a picture of my flowers of my second Ratatouille bulb. These are more colorful like last year's.

These seem to like to make seedpods too. I only did a couple though...

• jstropic (10a)
    7 years ago

Donna, your 120 is gorgeous!!! I am really looking forward to next year. My Ratatouille flowered like your first one, hopefully next year it will flower like this one. It looks like it selfed though - so we will see. J

• agapanthe64
    7 years ago

Donna , your #120 is gorgeous, seems it is painted with a red brush .

• catsandhippies
    7 years ago

Look what happened to the Sonatini I planted in the garden! Slugs! I don't even know what I'm missing because it was a mix. I built up a little fence and they are all growing leaves now.

This cute Pink Rascal I luckily kept in a pot! It's going to have 8 flowers on this scape! I also have some bulbs that only grew roots but no leaves or flowers. Did this happen to you too?

Anja

Original Author
    7 years ago

All my Sonatinis grew roots and leaves and most all but the Viridi Rascals bloomed.

Get your slugs drunk on the nice German beer, when they drowned, they'll die happy!!

I didn't get Pink Rascal.

Donna

• mariava7
    7 years ago

These poor guys bloomed while I was in Florida....#1799 and #105

• mariava7
    7 years ago

The most decent bloom of my #120 before I left for vacation.

• mariava7
    7 years ago

Ratatouille with earwig bites. Ha! This will be it for this batch of sonatinis. Only the rotten Orange Rascals did not perform (as expected)...no flowers, no roots, no leaves. Not complaining...just reporting.

Original Author
    7 years ago

None of mine have rotted but my 3 Viridi Rascals didn't bloom. Most all the others did and have rooted. Both # 105 & #120 have set several nice seedpods which I have yet to harvest. I've got one absolutely huge seedpod on Eye Catcher x Santos, the other seedpods are all normal size.

Ratatouille faked me out a few times but in the end nothing took.

My second # 120 bulb gave me the best flowers although there were only 2 per scape. No 105 gave me 4 flowers per scape.

Sorry, I guess I had already posted this picture above and now can't remove it...just ignore it please....

• mariava7
    7 years ago

I have 2 decent flowers on #105 so will try Jungle Lady on it. #120 has 3 young and tiny seedpods of X self and X Jungle Lady. Hope they make it.

I also have 2 or 3 seedpods on Eye Catcher.

My Sweet Sixteen bulbs are blooming like crazy! Nice performance on this one with good flower count! I don't think I will pollinate it though. Well...maybe I'll try a few crossses just to see it's ploidy.

Original Author
    7 years ago

I just harvested # 105 x papilio and got a small number of seeds that I assume are good. There is a larger pod on # 105 by Flamenco Queen that should be open in several days. Also on the other #105 I have a huge pod x yungascense and a smaller but good looking pod x a mixture of Suliwesi & #0016. I'm pretty sure it's #0016's babies, Then on # 120 I have Santos and yungascense pods.

And like I mentioned earlier, a huge pod on Eye Catcher x Santos. That's it for me for this year!! Also, I have a Flamenco Queen x RvR about to open too.

I also had several selfs on a few of the new Maguires that I bought this year and so far, nothing is germinating. The few seeds I got from Natalie look the best and I haven't tried them yet. All in all not a good yield from several of the Maguires on which I just did selfs and mixed the pollens among themselves. I just put them outside in the hot sun. We shall see how they react!!☺☺☺

Donna

• catsandhippies
    7 years ago

Donna, I don't mind seeing a beautiful picture twice! All your crosses sound very promising. You will have lots of gorgeous blooms in a few years. I'm looking forward to see the pictures :-)

Anja

Original Author
    7 years ago

I just harvested my pod of Sonatini # 105 x Flamenco Queen and most all the seeds were badly pock marked. About 12 look partially good but even half of those have a small pock mark on them but I though I'd at least try soaking them. This cross may be a total loss. For such a large, normal shaped pod I was totally shocked when I looked inside!!! Surprise, surprise!!!

Donna

• mariava7
    7 years ago

For the love of my old brain, I just recently saw a pot with 3 Lollipop bulbs that also did not bloom but did leaf out. Hopefully next year it will.

• Carl
    6 years ago

I just stumbled upon this thread and am amazed by the 105 and 120s - did any of you recieve more than 2 blooms per scape? Did those bulbs rebloom for you this season?

Original Author
    6 years ago

Carl, My # 105 gave me 4 flowers but so far the # 120 has only given me 2 per scape, None have rebloomed for me yet but are all growing leaves and are firm so there is hope for later in the season!

This is the # 105 which was my second bulb that gave me more solid red flowers plus four for this scape. This actually was from the first group order the previous year to last year. I didn't order anything this year.

I did find a picture of # 120 from somewhere and it shows 3 flowers at least I think they're coming from 1 scape.

I feel fairly sure that all of these sonatinis, given the right situation, will produce 4 flowers or better.

Donna

• Carl
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Donna, thank you for your immediate response! I do like both varieties a lot. Interestingly they have solid white stamens. Do you think you recieved rather small bulbs so that they'll flower with higher counts once they're older or would you place the 2 flowers per scape on the fact that they weren't firmly rooted yet? Anyhow, I have to see if they'll be available this year.

• Fred Biasella
    6 years ago

Donna,

Your #105 is stunning :-))) Do I see yungacense as a pollen parent for one of your blooms? I can just imagine how beautiful that would be. Good luck with your pollination attempts.

Original Author
    6 years ago

Carl, Most likely it's a little bit of both. I do think the bulbs were on the small side and of course, they weren't rooted but of course, we've all had non rooted bulb bloom their hearts out when they first arrive. In fact as I think about it I'd say it was their small size, not the fact that they weren't rooted.

Fred, Yes, you do! I had to do a seedling search and I found only 2 seedlings that survived that have obvious leaves but I see 2 tiny stubs of bulbs that haven't grown leaves yet this season. I then checked my cache of seeds and I don't have any left. I would surmise that from the looks of the seedlings this is not a vigorous cross, but maybe I'll end up with 2 which is better than nothing. :-))

• catsandhippies
    6 years ago

I looked up the discription Andre gave us to his bulbs last year. It says that #105 should produce 3 and #120 3-4 flowers per scape on a top sized bulb. The #105 I got last year looked very poor when it flowered. It didn't grow well neither and I think it won't flower at all this season. It already grew two new leaves so maybe there's hope for next season but it is not vigorous at all. #120 was already sold out when I ordered this year but he gave me two small bulbs of his planting stock that probably won't flower this year.

Donna, it is because of your pictures that I really wanted those two :-))

• mariava7
    6 years ago

#120 consistently gave me 2 flowers/scape as a new arrival bulb and as an established bulb. May 2017 pic.

• Carl
    6 years ago

Thank you both. Andre Barnhorn wrote that he'll be able to send a stocklist next week. I will see what's available then. That those beauties only show 2 blooms is a shame ... but I like them nonetheless.

• lokai99
    6 years ago

I was able to order #120 this year. I have pollination plans for it with papilio heavy cultivars.

I ordered #105 last year but my package was seized and all bulbs destroyed. This year, it was not available.

I loved the red and the green.. wouldn't it be a nice cross with aulicum or Green and Saturn?

• Fred Biasella
    6 years ago

Hi Joey,

I'm sorry they destroyed your bulbs :-(((( Those dang buzzards!!!!! Your crosses sound beautiful and I wish you much luck. When my Green and Saturn finally does decide to flower, I would like to cross it with yungacense x mandonii as I'm sure they're in her bloodline. I can imagine something close to Beatrice's outstanding hybrids...but I don't think they'll come close. She and Mother Nature seem to have a wonderful agreement and her climate is another wonderful benefit :-)))

Sponsored
More Discussions