Software
Houzz Logo Print
joybedwards

Large bathroom with two entries.

10 years ago
  1. I am redoing a large full bathroom which I would like to have two entries. Hallway and bedroom. Family has privacy issues. Master ensuite bath has large shower, double sink vanity., no bathtub. New bathroom will be gorgeous, I want to be able to use this bath without going through the bathroom. My husband thinks that the master bath should have the tub, I don't , so long as I have direct access to the new bathroom. Is one entry considered better?As in only access is through the bedroom? I think ione entry iwould box in the new beautiful bathroom. What are your thoughts? Is there a trend in placing the tub in another bathroom rather than the master bath? Thank you.

Comments (6)

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Is this the only bathroom?

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    There is at least one other very long conversation string here on Houzz about the need for a tub in the master bathroom, so you might want to search for that.

    We typically recommend that clients have at least one bathtub for kids bathing on same floor as bedrooms. Whether you have an additional tub in master is really personal preference. Many clients prefer larger showers instead, but some still like a tub as well.
    joybedwards thanked Harmoni Designs + Build
  • 10 years ago

    Two entries can make it hard to get a good layout, and it can cause logistical difficulties when one or the other door gets left locked, etc. I gather that you have a separate master bathroom -- is this one a hall bath? Is there some reason you couldn't use the tub there even if it had one door?

    People don't really "place the tub in another bathroom" so much as they eliminate a tub because they seldom or never use it, and opt for a larger shower instead, as long as there is a tub somewhere that they or later buyers can use to bathe their kids. If you really want a tub, I'd find a way to fit one into your own bathroom rather than upend the layout so that you can frequently use another space.

    joybedwards thanked acm
  • 10 years ago

    There are three bathrooms in the house. A 3/4 bathroom for guests, on the other side of the house. My master bathroom is large with large shower, double vanity, I made a definite decision to not have a bathtub there because I really didn't want to bring down a wall to accommodate it and I also like the layout. This particular bathroom that I have been concerned about is off the main hallway. The layout is well planned for two doors and size of this bathroom is large. There will be a beautiful freestanding tub that I will use on occasion.. Going through a bedroom to get to this bathroom seemed awkward. I now feel good about my decision for two entries and will manage locked doors!

    Thank you for your helpful advice and comments. Will send pictures when I complete this project.

  • 10 years ago
    I have a two-entry bathroom in my house, but it's upstairs and serves a guest bedroom, one which isn't used often and the pajama lounge. When we have guests sleeping over then I lock the other door and remove the key so guests have compete privacy. It doesn't affect anyone negatively.
    I can only imagine how irritating it'll be when one locks one door and someone walks in on them through the other door, if you won't have this issue then it's fine. I wouldn't advise it for a frequently used bathroom.
    joybedwards thanked Paula Smith