Software
Houzz Logo Print
kristinehankins

Guest room built-in

10 years ago
We're in the process of converting an office to a guest bedroom in our home and decided on two closets instead of one big, long one. I originally wanted to install a closet on one end, a desk in the middle, and an armoire on the other but the quotes came back way beyond our budget. Hence, the two closets on either end (with the original goal of a desk in between). However, due to the size of doors we had to order we were left with less space in between than we wanted. So, my question is--do we still do a built-in desk or do we get more create with the space? Shelves for a built-in bookcase? Four drawers for a built-in dresser? We were hoping to do this piece ourselves so the easier the project, the better (but I'm also willing to spend more to make it look good). Width is 31", depth is about 28.5". Thanks for your feedback and ideas!

Comments (20)

  • 10 years ago

    I think the easiest and cheapest best solution would be built-ins shelves that are the same color as the closet doors.

  • 10 years ago

    next time: find the 'x' the right size so that your project comes out as you wanted. its a lot of work to come out not as you like, all driven by too big of doors, y'know?

    if you dont intend to put a dresser in this room, build drawers into the space. its too deep for shelves to use the space wisely.


  • 10 years ago
    nnigrt - I researched everywhere to find the size of doors I wanted. Unfortunately, in the end I would have had to order them custom and we couldn't afford the price tag. It would have been triple what we paid for the doors we got. I just figured I'd roll with the outcome and make it look great no matter what.
  • 10 years ago
    I think you could do bulky shelves down from the top then stop with a built in desk in the same material just the full depth of the alcove? The is if it'd be enough work space for your needs. I think that's the determining factor.
  • 10 years ago
    Something like this
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    how would you best use the space? Would you like sitting at a desk facing the wall.
  • 10 years ago
    I like the idea of drawers on the bottom, shelves on top. If you want to keep it simple and relatively inexpensive, IKEA has some decent drawer units (and shelves, for that matter) that might tuck right in there with little or no tweaking and give you the built-in effect. Of course, this assumes that there's room on some other wall in the room for you to put the desk you need. If this is the only space for a desk, then build in a simple work surface with some shelves on top and make it work. I've been really paying attention to work spaces these days and have noticed that the big sprawling desks with bajillion drawers of olden days are really unnecessary and starting to look clunky. All you really need as a desk is a nice little spot to plunk your laptop, and that space can work if needed.
  • 10 years ago
    Yes definitely put some shelves up and desk, ideal
  • 10 years ago

    ugh what a mess... whatever you do make sure the hardware on the doors doesn't show. too many of them and they're all dark. get them in white, especially the hinges.

  • 10 years ago
    Hmm, the doors are a little over kill. How about having your contractor come back and fill in that little area and extend the closet. Shouldn't be a big job, just a little drywall and paint. Then have some shelves built inside the closets.The space looks very awkward for a desk. I wouldn't want to sit there and face the wall ;)
  • 10 years ago
    I love the built in desk and shelf examples, but unfortunately your cubby looks too narrow and the scale would be off, IMHO.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I don't think there is room for a desk and would just make it into a cute little alcove and let it become a feature in the room. I would also paint the doors to compliment the alcove, so the wall becomes a bit of a focal point.


  • 10 years ago

    I am assuming you are going to be woodwork around your doors and are going to paint them another color....that said...I measured 31 inches and that is not enough room for a desk work surface.....maybe would work for a laptop, however. How about shelves on top like someone had a picture of, and a shelf for your desk but have the shelf either fold down or pull out for more space...would be narrow but open on the sides.....not explaining it too well, but hope you get the idea.

  • 10 years ago
    If you go for a desk don't forget to add an outlet for a light and possibly charge laptop etc... Even one below and one above counter height while you're at it, since the guests will travel with the their own chargers and cables etc, makes it easier to plug above the desk.
  • 10 years ago

    The trim hasn't been installed nor has any baseboard or molding. The doors have yet to be painted too. We literally just framed in the doors yesterday so there's still a lot of work to be done. I was just trying to get an idea so we know what to plan for moving forward.

  • 9 years ago

    You might put a small chest of drawers in the center space and have room for a television and/or more open shelves above the chest.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Thinking outside the box...(Somewhat literally!)

  • 9 years ago
    Love the doors and alcove. Depending on how you plan to furnish the space I think a stand alone table in the space with art or mirror above will be fine.
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Jean's idea is the best one. It's adding tons of charm to the room, and value to your home.What are your thoughts op?

Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio