Software
Houzz Logo Print
lmtchll68

Decor

10 years ago
What, if anything should I put on this cabinet? It is located in a living room / dining room space.

I think I need a little pop! But not sure what to add.

Comments (21)

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Because of the functional things around it I'd not add something large / even 3 dimensional, but maybe a cool fabric of some kind. Large placemat, runner to size, etc.... 1 ball sitting off to the side for whimsy maybe?

  • 10 years ago
    Thank you. I'm thinking something simple as the sculpture is very busy.
  • 10 years ago

    A bowl. Something like this:

    Whirlpool Glass Bowl · More Info

    Or just plain white like this:


    Shiraleah - Frosted Glass Bowl - saksoff5th.com · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    I would suggest a wall sculpture with more color and leaving the top clean so as not to draw more attention near the light switch or compete with the sculpture.

  • 10 years ago
    Don't add anything. Highlight that independent bit of wall with a punch of colour or an interesting wallpaper.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Home Goods has clearance. Buy with colors that complement the metal, and other things in the area / cut to size.... bamboo or another with texture.

    Chilewich | Mini Basketweave Placemats S/4, Turquoise · More Info
    Chilewich | Bamboo Runner, Mandarin, Runner · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    Elegant Colorblock Placemats, Set of 6, Green · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    Fold the gold one?

    Beaded Sheer 34"x34" Table Topper, Gold · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I found this silver dish, which is lower and longer, and a better example. I really think you need something modern and black could also be another good option. Your best bet is to head to the stores and bring home a few samples and test them out.

    Polished Steel Canoe Bowl 2-Piece Set, 14"x21" · More Info
    Howard Elliott Cobalt Blue Wood Bowl · More Info

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Hi-

    I am going to suggest something a little different for this area. I like the wall art and am not sure about putting anything on the table. But how about adding your pop of color directly to the wall? I don't know your color scheme there but I would pick out an accent color in a "cool" tone and paint that small segment of wall. For instance, maybe a silvery blue if it worked with your color scheme. Or a wide border/crown molding where you could put a color in between the lower molding and the ceiling molding?

  • 10 years ago
    I was thinking of painting the wall. There is an accent wall directly across from the cabinet (disregard the painting, it is being replaced). Maybe pull a color from the new art work.
  • 10 years ago
    Thanks everdebz! My style is more clean contemporary, so the runners really would not work for me.
  • 10 years ago

    I think accenting that wall with a deeper color will only high light the thermostat/light switch. I like what Maureen posted but in black. You want something to fill some of the space between the top of the cabinet and the wall sculpture but not take away from the focal point which is the sculpture. Adding any color will do that.

  • 10 years ago

    Some looks:






  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Based on your mention that your style is clean and contemporary, I think nothing on table top is best. I think painting the wall would highlight the switch and thermostat, and that a colorful object on top would make the wall sculpture look even more dull by comparison. I think the main issue is that the sculpture color is blending into the cabinet color so moving that sculpture elsewhere and getting one with more color could be a good option.

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I would try the sculpture in your dining space. It might look great where the current painting is. I think it is not in good proportion to the table and looks a little off where you have it. (Sorry to be so frank). Thermostat and light switch placements by builders is a huge pet peeve of mine. I think a complimentary round plate 2/3 size of cabinet might work there and tie your spaces together a bit. The smaller scale piece would allow you to get more space between it and the thermostat. Then a long narrow flat tray on top of cabinet in complimentary finish would complete the look.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Don't mean to argue, but is bamboo not used with contemporary, and possibly good mix with plant nearby. You have metal in the stairs, and metal on the wall.... another shiny item isn't awful at all, but there are too many functional things there. Still think a fabric is a bit of accent. :) and doesn't have to be dowdy.

  • 10 years ago

    grover's 1st low item makes me look the least at the blue thing at right.

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Please paint the doorbell and whatever is next to it the wall color. Your alarm and light switch are a bit of a distraction when just focusing on that wall. Because of your contemporary console and wall object, I would suggest a simple rustic dough bowl/bread trough....it would warm up the space and juxtapose modern art and vintage.
  • 10 years ago

    hmm.. now that I've looked at it again, maybe take it down and hang it up back but horizontally? Or even vertically but on an angle so it hides the switches.