Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cajanosov

Kitchen Island Pendant Help!!!

Cheryl Sherwood
7 years ago

We're in final decision mode for our pendant lights in our kitchen and after looking at a number of lights, we've narrowed it down to two pieces. One, all metal, and the other, almost all glass. Glass one is accented with Polished Chrome, while the all metal is Polished Nickel. They're both basically the same size (10.5" and 11" width), and we have an 84" wide island; 9 ft ceilings; u-shaped kitchen with white shaker cabinets on the perimeter, black on the island. Would love to hear from anyone who has these, any designers that have installed these. We haven't seen either in person. THANKS!

Chanate- Santa Rosa · More Info

Everly 10.50" 1-Light Pendant Chrome · More Info

Arched Opening to Kitchen · More Info

Lighting · More Info

Comments (15)

• Cheryl Sherwood
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh, and they're essentially the same price too! We already replaced the Pelham light with the all metal light that you see here to help with the cost of the project (brand new construction).

• Cheryl Sherwood
    Original Author
    7 years ago

And I guess we could abandon the three rule and go with two slightly larger 15" pendants ...

• jade713
    7 years ago
    I recommend the glass light fixtures. They are a much more elegant solution for this kitchen need. The all sliver lights are much to mid century modern and would need accents of bright yellows and reds to make them fit in. So in conclusion the definitely the glass.
  • Heather Macdonald
    7 years ago
    I'm not keen on glass because when lit you're looking at a light bulb.
  • Jennifer Havin
    7 years ago
    I love the look of glass, but the cleaning of them is high maintenance
    I love the other pendants, and they look like they have a bottom to filter the light. love the 2 larger idea!
  • Susan Mooney
    7 years ago

For your kitchen I like the look of the glass pendants. I have one above the kitchen sink and it looks like a diamond ring in the middle of my kitchen!

• PRO
    Evans Fine Homes
    7 years ago

If the polished chrome of the glass fixtures matches the rest of the metals in your kitchen than I believe they would be beautiful. They will allow for a better sight line as they will allow you to look through them. It really all depends on the style of your kitchen though and without a picture it is hard to know for sure. They are both great fixtures though!

• Cheryl Sherwood
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks everyone. Great feedback.

Evans Fine Homes: This is the closest we have to a picture at this point. The foundation is just being poured. We have a love for classic clean lines, nothing too trendy, but nothing too traditional. We have chrome fixtures for the faucet and haven't picked out the hardware (we had hoped for polished chrome or nickel). There will be white shaker cabinets, a black shaker island and either Bianco Drift Quartz or London Sky Quartz on the countertops. Backsplash will be 2x6 subway tiles in white with a matching herringbone detail above the cook top. All stainless appliances. We haven't determined if the hood will be hidden or exposed as we're trying to finalize details, but would an exposed hood determine our choice of pendants?

• jade713
    7 years ago
    so have you chosen witch your going to do?
  • PRO
    Debra Rigby Design
    7 years ago

I have the Kichler glass ones over my island. The island has the sink in it. I hate cleaning the galss as it shows dust inside and out. Something I always advise by clients of when selecting pendants. I have installed the other in several projects and

they are a lovely timeless look.

• acm
    7 years ago

I'd say that the glass ones seem more likely to act as ambient light, and the metal ones more like task light on the counter. Another penny for the pond.

• Jackie
    7 years ago
    My vote is first for the the 3 polished nickel lights, or the 2 larger ones.
  • Cheryl Sherwood
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Oh wow! Some great ideas to ponder. Yes, cleaning the glass may be a challenge. And one that I haven't given very good thought to. Our cabinet maker is telling us that our design will be best achieved with an exposed hood. Would the metal pendants in front of the metal hood (48" hood and cooktop) be too harsh. Do the glass pendants help soften the look? Or does the polished look of the metal pendants achieve the same softened look? We have an attached breakfast room and I feel that the island selections impact our selection there. But more on that later! Any pictures anyone can share? I found the Pelham pendants in a lot of photos online but at nearly $700 each we're not going that direction. Are these metal pendants a close replacement to achieve the same look?

• PRO
    BaBoo
    7 years ago

Here are two great glass pendants that you might enjoy as well:

Lighting as a Jewelry · More Info

Lighting as a Jewelry · More Info