Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
larsi_gw

Linen sheets arrived today :-O

larsi_gw
7 years ago

With all the linen talk from ALEX, Jane and I think Debbie...I gave in!

For me to not only own Percale sheets which are a ironing project every week, to now Linen....Big step for me. LOL

My choices for CA King sheets were very limited as I had to have a fitted sheet. I had to have CA King, not King or Eastern King/Std. King and I needed DEEP pocket. Most linen sheets were 15-16 in deep. I needed 20", but I found 18" and the sales rep said they will easily fit 20" deep.

They are very soft and feel ultra luxurious. I will wash them tomorrow. Planning on partially tumbling dry using Delicates, and then air drying to prevent or minimizing the need for much ironing! The are from Restoration Hardware, and the colour is gorgeous (Pacific). They are a pale gray-blue.

Comments (48)

• practigal
    7 years ago

Larsi luv are you paid for these pitches?

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Very pretty Larsi...give them a wash on your highest water level, actually wash them twice...remember the more their washed the smoother they will get...one tiny thing..they are dyed linen and linen doesn't like dye..I'm not sure how much fading they will do in your hot washes.

What did you get besides a fitted sheet? Did you get a flat or summer cover or a duvet cover?

Congrats Larsi you should love how these feel cool to the touch ..also some wackos would iron linen (me) but many will not as they will look lovely with the rumpled look...I'm jelly.xoxo

larsi_gw thanked mamapinky0
  • mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Ohhhh..one more thing, since linen resists dye..do not use any detergent with oxygen bleach. ..

• larsi_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Mama! I will NOT use any oxygen bleach, as I know they are dyed and linen does not love dye. While linen can technically be "boiled", I will wash them as I do my Percale and regular cotton sheets....Cottons Universal Cycle, 120F (cold fill), WaterPlus (high water for washing & very high for rinsing), 3 Rinses.

I'm planning on using a small amount of liquid detergent or Rosalie's Zero Suds and a touch of liquid FS.

• larsi_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@ Practigal....LOL. NO. How I wish I was paid for my shopping and pitches! It would make my AMEX bill so much more pleasant each month!!!

• linus2003
    7 years ago

Beautiful Larsi. I also want some since Mamap pointed out that Ikea have Linen now. Most of my bedlinens are from them. One set I bought when we got our furniture for the bedroom, in the store there were this duvetcover and pillowcases in a darkish grev, lovet it and asked for, when time for paying I could not belive what it cost, it were half off, 250 dollors and that were with 50% of, alot of money for me but I have to say it still looks as good as new.

larsi_gw thanked linus2003
  • larsi_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks MamaP! Linen sheets are in the washer as I type this, maiden wash!

Cottons Universal Cycle, WaterPlus, 3 Rinses. 105F (cold fill). Using Rosalie's Zero Suds powder detergent and about 1/2 cap liquid FS diluted with water!

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Tell us how they feel? Are they smooth and cool?

Also forgot to mention never ever use FS on pure linen. .it gums up in the fibers and breaks the fibers. I know you don't want to hear this, but the price of linen sheets are dear so you want to protect your investment.

larsi_gw thanked mamapinky0
  • larsi_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Too late. You know FS is/was like your soup pot....an addiction that is so comforting. LOL I never use FS though on kitchen towels, aprons or microfiber!

I used very little FS though, and it was quite diluted with water and the final rinse in the Miele LiGi with WaterPlus activated WITH water levels raised (in addition to WaterPlus)....very little liquid FS came in contact with the linen sheets.

I dried the fitted sheet, top sheet and 4 pillowcases in 3 loads. Lot temp heat, Timed cycle for 20 mins, and then air drying. Pillowcases are dry and they feel very soft and smooth and kind of slinky, yet they have some heft to them. Interesting and very nice!!

• Debbi Branka
    7 years ago

Oh give more details when you sleep on them! I'm anxious to know how they are compared to my RL. A fitted sheet would be nice :)

• Debbi Branka
    7 years ago

Great - I just ordered 6 samples!

larsi_gw thanked Debbi Branka
  • larsi_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Debbie...I was planning on waiting until Friday or Saturday, which is when I usually strip beds & change sheets, but I just could NOT wait. LOL

They feel very luxurious to the touch. Silky and slinky, but with a heft. They also look supremely decadent on the bed.

I did not iron the fitted sheet, nor the pillowcases! I did however iron the four, long sides on the flat sheet (I like those to look smooth and lay flat).

I love the slight rumpling of the linen though, so I did not iron much!

Restoration Hardware lets you order samples?

Btw, the top sheet and fitted sheet are VERY generous (too much?)....so if you have a thick mattress or a topper, you will be fine. If your mattress is not very thick, you will have A LOT of extra top sheet on each side and a lot to tuck with the fitted sheet. Quality seems to be exceptionally high though!

• Debbi Branka
    7 years ago

They do let you order samples! When you go on the page of the linen you want, then you have to scroll down to choose your item(s). One of those items is a sample, free. No shipping cost either. I have a Tempurpedic mattress, so it is not thick. My Rough Linen sheets are 118x120 (both flat). The RH flat sheet is 118x112, so that should be 8" less to tuck in. The price is much less than the RL. I wonder how they hold up. I'm excited to get samples and compare to my RL and maybe get a new set of sheets. They have some pretty ones.

Oh, and after you dry to damp (very damp), if you can spread them over something (I use my headboard and footboard), they dry almost wrinkle free.

• larsi_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Good to know about the free samples. I saw the sheets on a bed in the store before I bought them, so I knew they felt and looked great.

This is exactly what I did. I dried the fitted sheet, flat sheet and 4 pillowcase in 3 loads. 20 min timed cycle, low heat. Took out when still quite damp and I laid them on the bed to dry. The pillowcases I hung on the clothes line. They looked and felt great.

Of course coming from the RH saleslady, but she claims these sheets look amazing for years & years and just get better and better!!

I'm excited to hear what you think. And I agree, a fitted sheet is great. It is a 100% MUST for me!

• Salmo Trutta
    7 years ago

If you want the most luxurious feel in the whole world...IMO...

Try sheets made from hemp fiber.

I have two sets of organic linen sheets and they are great but the hemp set I purchased is in my humble opinion is even softer and cozier.

I am not disappointed in my linen sheets in the least but in the future I will buy hemp instead of linen.

My Eastern King mattress is an organic all wool mattress, topper and enhancer pad that measures about 20" thick resting on a Bertoncini euro style slat frame.

Pockets of the fitted hemp sheet easily accommodate the thick wool mattress.

They wash up very nicely too.

Sublime.

• Debbi Branka
    7 years ago

Larsi, do your sheets (top or bottom) have a seam? I mean, most linen isn't wide enough for a king so they have to sew two pieces together. RL does not have a seam. Does the RH have a seam?

• larsi_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Salmo!

Debbie....NO seam on fitted or flat (top) sheet. We liked them, although at first my "dear" spouse said they feel like Gov't issued East German sheets, LOL, compared to Percale or many, many times washed wrinkle free cotton sheets.

During the night, we both found the linen sheets to feel warmer than Percale. Not warmer, as is we were hot...but there were no "cool" spots if you move your feet around. Linen seems to be very consistent in terms of temp!

LOVED the way the pillowcases feel on our skin and the way the top sheet is silky and slinky, yet it has heft & texture.

This morning "dear" spouse thinks the linen is good and feels it made sleep easier!!

I would buy more. RH quality seems high.

I told Alex Chicago that Bed, Bath & Beyond has a great Kenneth Cole set of Linen / Cotton (55% / 45%) and they looked and felt great, and are about 1/2 the cost of pure linen.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Linen/cotton blend is WONDERFUL..

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

I Would have issues with Hemp sheets..machine drying breaks the fabers down as does hot water..Hemp needs cool to luke warm water only and I can't see washing sheets in less than hot.

• Debbi Branka
    7 years ago

Larsi, did you read this thread? I remember there was a reason I was afraid to try RH. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/rough-linen-versus-restoration-hardware-bedding-dsvw-vd~2815697

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

I've seen others with issues concerning RH linen over on HD...but was too late to break the news as Larsi already bit the bullet.

Good linen should last for years and into another generation even with heavy use. I'm hoping Larsi got a great set.

• larsi_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'll hope for the best. The quality seems high, and while she could be lying...the RH sales manager said she has 2 sets that she uses as her only sheets, and after countless washes have only gotten softer and better.

She was honest though and said the sheets have gotten thinner with heavy usage and washing, but no holes or tears (yet).

• Salmo Trutta
    7 years ago

Dear Larsi;

"During the night, we both found the linen sheets to feel warmer than
    Percale. Not warmer, as is we were hot...but there were no "cool" spots
    if you move your feet around. Linen seems to be very consistent in
    terms of temp!"

During the winter months we only use linen sheets combined with a down comforter. We have found them to be good at keeping you warmer during our cold Midwestern winters.

The more you wash them the better they feel.

Here is a link to delightful movie about linen production in Europe...in French with English subtitles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRnLd1C-PW8

Cheers,

Salmo

• Salmo Trutta
    7 years ago

Mama Pinky said...

"I Would have issues with Hemp sheets..machine drying breaks the fabers
    down as does hot water..Hemp needs cool to luke warm water only and I
    can't see washing sheets in less than hot."

Mine are not dyed and bisque in color.

I wash in hot and so far no problem.

Cheers,

Salmo

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Salmo, the effects of hot water washing Hemp sheets are not noticed for awhile, eventually you may see the effects.

Flax Linen like the innocence of a new bride...what a perfect way to explain Euro Flax Linen.

I agree that Euro Linen is lovely. I also agree that it gets better with age. There are some people here now buying linen sheets and really like them, but in a few years once they have aged some, these people are going to adore them above all bedding. New linen sheets are grand but don't even come close to what they will be like once broken in, which is why some folks are willing to buy old used linen instead of new linen. Linen will keep you cool in the summer and warm and snuggly in the winter. LOL

• Salmo Trutta
    7 years ago

Mama Pinky;

The hemp sheets were bought two years ago. We have four sets of king sheets, 2 linen, one cotton and the hemp.

SOP is to change and wash every Thursday shifting to the next set in line.

Hot soft water, Shaklee Fresh Laundry for soap and then dried in a natural gas clothes dryer.

Our washer is a Speed Queen TL model # 542. For probably 90% of the
    loads we use regular cycle BUT set for knits on the fabric selector
    knob. This results in a gentle agitation cycle but a high speed spin. Extra
    rinse is also used.

Two years would mean about 100 bed sheet changes which would come out to about 25 washes per set.

As of now all of them show average wear, with nothing untoward to report.

Lint filter after the drying session show very little lint on any of the aforementioned sheet sets.

• Debbi Branka
    7 years ago

Larsi - how are the linen sheets going?

• larsi_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Debbi Branka...Using the linen sheets. Cotton/Linen will go on this Saturday.

Love the feel of the linen. They do seem to "stretch" out a lot though. Each morning, when making the bed I have to pull and tuck a lot of the fitted sheet back around the mattress.

Also, I know it is supposed to be the opposite, but the linen is MUCH warmer than percale cotton sheets. Not hot during the night, but the bed never feels cool.

I am very happy I bought them, and I look forward to trying the cotton/linen blend.

Did you get your samples yet from RH??

• Debbi Branka
    7 years ago

I did get the samples. I thought one was made in Italy, but the samples I got were all made in China except one that was made in India. I held them up to the light with my RL linen to compare. They seem a lot looser weave. I'm not sure about that part. Also the sample I requested of the 50/50 linen/cotton - on the sample it say 100% cotton. Of course, that is the softest sample, but I don't want cotton!

Anyway, I really was interested in a fitted sheet. Does that stretch on you too? And I think them not being cool when you first get in is totally right. They don't have that "cold" feel. They're just kinda room temperature all the time. But I do have night sweats (sorry for so much information) and the linen has been the only thing that I don't wake up in wet sheets!

• Alex Chicago
    7 years ago

Debbi - for a fitted linen sheet that may match/rival the quality of RL, check out Linoto. The proprietor is a New Yorker and everything is made here in the US.

• larsi_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The fitted sheet does seem to "grow & stretch" when on the bad for days or up to a week (I change sheets weekly). It is not a big deal, but the linen fitted sheets does need to be adjusted every morning before making the bed...takes like 15 seconds, so not an issue really.

That is a good way to describe them...just kinda room temperature. With my wrinkle free and percale cotton sheets there was always that (great to me) climbing into a cool, chilled bed. The linen always keeps the bed neutral, bordering on warm. I do however love the way the linen top sheet feels. Pillowcases are lovely too, although they wrinkle easily & if a side sleeper....they can leave slight marks on the face (minor and they vanish quickly).

Overall, the quality of the RH sheets seems high and I am pleased!

• larsi_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

WOW....Linoto now has a deep pocket offering!!! Linen, deep pocket fitted!! :)

• Alex Chicago
    7 years ago

That is a first, and something that wasn't offered even a few weeks ago. I am tempted to get a fitted sheet to go with my RL sheets, just for making the bed more quickly when I need to. His other offerings (towels, coverlets, underwear!!) look fun too.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Alex..does Linoto make the linen sheets in the US from imported linen? Like RL?

• Alex Chicago
    7 years ago

Hi MamaP. Yes, it's Europen linen (Belgian, French or Irish) imported and then sewn in the USA.

• rococogurl
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Deleted my post as I'm still in the ether. Linoto sheets -- just about to wash after a week's use. High quality sewing, many options. Classic texture. They sleep warm but comfortably. These will last a lifetime. European linen, heavy but US made. Excellent value at this albeit very high price point. Sad to say I now need only 2 pillow cases so I returned the 2 from CD. Those were Italian linen, much more lightweight and very close to the single Sferra sheet. Like difference between merino wool and cashmere. For investment sheets Linoto is excellent option. Free shipping, weekend discounts. They come washed (though I rewashed) dry quickly and don't require ironing. I dried them on Wrinkle Free/Permanent press. Company Store also had very well priced beautiful looking set though Chinese made just slightly less than Linoto.

larsi_gw thanked rococogurl
  • miami mami
    7 years ago

You guys are killing me! I want to try linen sheets! Linen is a "thing" down here in tropical sfl with its Caribbean influence, keeps you cool in all this heat! Linen clothing is worn on the regular, and I love the look and feel of the few pieces I have! By the way, nice to see you Roc-! I sent you a message on FB! Have been thinking of you.

• Debbi Branka
    7 years ago

Ok, for Linoto that's comparable to RL, is it the Eco Belgium or just the plain flax? Quite a big price difference

• rococogurl
    7 years ago

I went with the 100% linen sheet set in ivory.

@miami - thanks. Beginning just now to answer messages. They are much appreciated. The only comfort really.

• Debbi Branka
    7 years ago

Rico, have you had or sampled RL to know how it compares?

• rococogurl
    7 years ago

Never compared because RL does not have fitted bottom sheets. Also wanted smooth texture closer to Italian.

• Jean
    7 years ago

Thinking of you rococogurl!!

• rococogurl
    7 years ago

Much appreciated Jean.

• Salmo Trutta
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Ladies and Gentlemen;

Here follows a listing of the companies I have purchased linen/hemp items from...

LINOTO- As Alex and Rococogirl stated these are simply wonderful. I have spoken directly with owner and he will modify/change products to suit your needs. When I bought some bath items he gladly made the wash clothes larger by 2 inches since I like a bigger wash cloth. As stated by others European linen cut and sewn in New York City. An organic option for the cloth is available in a number of items.

PureClothes/Rawganique- This is my source for the hemp sheets I have. Sewn in Romania the craftsmanship is nearly as good as LINOTO. Many items including bedroom, bath and clothing. Based in Canada.

Deutsche Optik- HUH? Yes this vintage military surplus company frequently has authentic linen items from the European Military. I purchased pillow cases from Switzerland, dish towels, pillow cases and sheets from the Czech Republic. Sizes and quantities are limited so you may wait to find something you want. I have never heard of the US military using authentic linen but it appears to be common practice in Europe. This family business is based in Las Vegas, NV.

• Debbi Branka
    7 years ago

Just wanted to update that Linoto has a $30 off sale (if you spend $200) this weekend and I ordered a fitted sheet and contour pillow cases. I was thrilled to find these pillowcases! The website says 1-2 weeks so when they arrive I'll report.

• geslina2
    5 years ago

I have a set of cotton linen blend sheets from Target, the Shabby Chic brand. I really like the way they look and feel. I do throw them in a hot dryer, though, which may be why after a few months they have a couple holes. They have pretty crocheted trim on the top sheet and pillows that has held up very well. I wish they made them in white...they only come in a pale blue color.

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Take them back. They shouldn't have holes after a few months. Both cotton and linen can tolerate heat well. Target is good with returns.