Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stella_georgiou9329388

Guest bedroom help!

Stella Georgiou
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

This is what I have so far. I don't know how to make the room cozy at all. Please help! (The colourful linens and coral lamps are new..I'd like to work around that. Otherwise change as much as you'd like)

Thank you in advance!

Comments (29)

• everdebz
    7 years ago

In a sense the black chandelier makes it challenging - you need a bridge between it and the floral - art just because of the colors and simple:

Man with Dog Framed Artwork, 36x24 · More Info

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Or a soft black frame for art...

• Stella Georgiou
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I would ideally like to change the black chandelier to a white and chrome light fixture....maybe that could help?

• everdebz
    7 years ago

I'm looking for a soft look like this - woman in dance could almost wear your floral - it repeats the black light vibe:

Renwil "Donna" Frameless Painted Canvas Wall Art · More Info

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Have you tried a simple Home Goods canvas behind the bed?

Imo not chrome but a satin finish cause furniture, etc. seems antique/ soft white. Maybe a drum shade...

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Five Light White Organza White Shade Drum Shade Chandelier · More Info

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Idk which size would be right, but this is soft with wall color, etc...

Four Light Aged Silver Leaf Drum Shade Chandelier · More Info

• Elle
    7 years ago

I agree with a lighter chandelier and would consider a white flower mirror above the bed and a couple of small prints above each lamp.

Stella Georgiou thanked Elle
  • felizlady
    7 years ago
    I would put a rug in the room, big enough that when a guest gets out of bed, the floor is soft and warm. The room is cheerful and I live the red. Find a rug that has red in a geometric pattern, and add a red upholstered chair, a small tangle and a floor lamp to give your guest a small sitting area. Add a couple of cheerful pictures/prints/paintings/posters on the wall and the room will be perfect.
    Stella Georgiou thanked felizlady
  • Sue Burns
    7 years ago
    I agree with everdebz, pulling the black in with a piece of art would help a lot. I like the idea of black and coral, it is fun and different! Your bed and linens look inviting which is the biggest challenge and the lamps are great. The key here is to think in odd numbers ( at least that is what works for me) and add a third thing with black - perhaps a wood chair which is nice for guests to use for putting on their shoes or a tall coat rack or even a ladder against the wall like you see in bathrooms. If you have space for that, it would give you some height and a place for guests to put clothes. You have a great start and just a few tweaks, it will look just great!
    Stella Georgiou thanked Sue Burns
  • Sue Burns
    7 years ago
    Ok, while I was commenting, we switched lighting!
  • Sue Burns
    7 years ago
    Yes, you have some great ideas now, rugs, chairs, etc. Houzzers are the best! One thing that helps me, is to pretend I am the guest and see what things I would want in the room. I have found the coat rack is really helpful and they are very reasonable on Wayfair or Overstock. The other things I do, which have nothing to do with furniture/lighting is to put a basket of necessities that might be forgotten, such as toothbrushes, toothpaste, Tylenol, ibuprofen, razors, etc, so they don't have to ask, some magazines and books, a small fan and a flashlight. I love having company!
  • everdebz
    7 years ago

Try other than green shams, which makes it pretty, and a garden look. Not similar to fancy black. The bright floral color might look right with black - imo, you have one too many looks. [yes the green looks nice with wood floors]

Stella Georgiou thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    7 years ago

A whole other look might be funky - adding retro something - like

Adonis Collection | Framed Album, Crooners · More Info

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Art with your colors and bit of black - guests might enjoy something different:

Lilies Everywhere · More Info

• groveraxle
    7 years ago

I'm sorry. Your coral lamps are pretty, but they're too short.

• printesa
    7 years ago

Those lamps are too small..you need them taller and with a larger shade.
    I would probably remove one of the pillows..the bed seems too crowded with all of them.
    A painting above the bed would be nice...something soft like water colors

Stella Georgiou thanked printesa
  • Maureen Barstow
    7 years ago

I agree, lamps are way too short. Can you use them in another room? I think you need a large piece of art work on the wall behind the bed, something to pick up the colors on your coverlet. If you don't want to change the chandelier, spray paint it with a lighter finish.

Stella Georgiou thanked Maureen Barstow
  • Claisabel I
    7 years ago

Agree that coral lamps are pretty, but to small. (Try to return the lamps for a larger shade)

Stella Georgiou thanked Claisabel I
  • Stella Georgiou
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you for all the feedback! You are all very helpful!
  • PRO
    Geeky4Life
    7 years ago

I love the coral lamps and colorful bedding on the white bedspread. Perfect. I would add to the shabby chic by creating a statement wall behind the head of the bed in Green Kentucky Woodpanel wallpaper (http://amzn.to/2alCHvo), then paint the nightstands black to compliment the chandelier (http://amzn.to/29GKPpF) with white hardware, or purchase new (http://amzn.to/29GKWl5).

If you don't want to commit to wallpaper, you can use WallPops to create a statement wall: http://amzn.to/29MZZbx or http://amzn.to/2alD5tI

• everdebz
    7 years ago

To me Heather's makes sense - adding more green [and black too]. It's young and lively. :)

• Susan Davis
    7 years ago

Find some square boxes paint them white or coral or black and set the lamps on them to raise them up....top of shades should be even or taller than headboard.

Change out the green shams to black check or stripe.

Add a chair in an accent color of green coral or black.

• absg99
    7 years ago
    My fav ideas in the thread:
    -paint night stands black
    - create decorative boxes in white to stand the night stand on
    -run with black in it (like the one in Grover's depiction)
    -add a chair--- possibly green
  • Irene Morresey
    7 years ago
    Definitely rug under bed, maybe a distressed mirror above bed to balance chandalier. Have you room for a chair. Very pretty bedding
  • sandi125
    7 years ago
    The pillows are lively and fun, but they just get in the way. If you want to be guest friendly, don't give them piles of pillows they have to do something with to get into bed. I agree that the lamps are too small. I love the bright color though.
  • Andrea Scott
    7 years ago

For the convenience of your guests I think you need a luggage rack and a table or bureau. There is always a purse, wallet, jewelry, electronics to set somewhere. And at least small cushy rugs for stepping out of bed onto something warm. I vote for eliminating the fussy little pillows,too. I offer a few choices of bed pillows since that is a major factor in sleeping comfort.

• PRO
    Bayberry Cottage
    7 years ago

Perhaps sharing some designs of ours with you will be of use. Notice the lamps, art, and storage chest.

Azalea Cottage - Bedroom · More Info

Driftwood and Seaglass · More Info

Lakeshore Inspired · More Info