Software
Houzz Logo Print
ddaschel

Window Treatments That Block Light But Aren't Heavy

10 years ago
I haven't moved in yet but waiting two months to close, I've don't lots of thinking about decorating. The master bedroom will have a similar aesthetic to what you see here. I'm keeping the pale green color and will use my comforter in a pale green print and a family quilt that is multi colored with '30s green squares between. We have a bedroom suite that is traditional cherry, which I will keep. My main issue is that I am a night shift nurse, and must sleep in the day, and my husband has a disabling disease which causes dementia, and sleeps quite a bit. There are custom window shades throughout the house which offer privacy but do not block light. I think I want simple white curtains, but they must be light blocking, which often seems to make them too heavy. I am an experienced seamstress and often make my own window treatments, in fact I have some yards of light blocking fabric, but it is heavier than tent canvas. Suggestions? Floor length curtains or short? Shutters? our bed will not be under the window, but against the north wall. Also, while I'm here, about the mirrored closet. Ugh. I have seen some that are made to look like paned windows, which I rather liked. Any ideas how to DIY that?

Comments (15)