Software
Houzz Logo Print
sherrym78218

Need advice on colors for kitchen remodel - right in the midst of it.

10 years ago





I've come here before and received such great advice so figured I'd try again! I'm in the middle of a kitchen remodel. I thought I had done so well picking everything out but I came home today to the newly pained walls and now I'm freaking out a little. I had the walls painted Valspar's Woodrow Wilson Putty which looked to me to be a light taupe. I painted a swatch and it looked perfect. Now the kitchen and dining room are painted that color and cabinets are being installed on Monday and it looks SO gray!

I'm having antique white cabinets with chocolate glaze installed and Giallo Napoli granite countertops. I have black appliances and plan on putting down a dark flooring. I really don't think I have time to repaint it all before Monday but please tell me your ideas. Can I pull this together?

And I hadn't picked out my backsplash yet so am trying to tie it all in together. See examples below.

What would you do? Be HONEST please. I've spent so much time and money on this and I want it to turn out well (I've hired a contractor - I'm not doing it myself. LOL. But still...)

Comments (10)

  • 10 years ago
    Either but I am leaning toward the darker one
    Sherry thanked Danielle Black
  • 10 years ago

    Thank you for input. Problem is that I'm using that same paint in my kitchen, dining room (I knocked out the walls between the kitchen and dining room so it would be one big room), living room, entryway, and hall. So, it would be a lot of work to repaint it all and I want it all to flow. I guess I could have the cabinets installed and if I still didn't like it, ask them to repaint around the cabinets. Paint color is definitely tricky...

    They haven't cut the granite yet so I could always change the granite but I hate to do that just because of the paint color.

    SIGH.

  • 10 years ago

    The granite goes nicely with the cabinets. As much of a PITA as re-painting would be, it's not a permanent choice, like the cabinets, granite and even backsplash. I think, over time, you will regret it if you base your other choices on the paint color.

    Sherry thanked latifolia
  • 10 years ago

    So I guess the consensus so far is that the paint color needs to be changed. Here is what I painted it - Woodrow Wilson Putty

    And here are possibilities:

    Oatbran

    Shoreline Haze

    Any opinions? Of course, it's so hard to tell from swatches because it looks so different once it's up on the walls.

    Thanks everyone!!

  • 10 years ago
    Paint color can be changed. Live with it for a couple of weeks before deciding. I repainted my fire place, and first thought it was way too light. It wasn't how I pictured it in my head. But now I really like it and realize the color I thought I wanted would have been too dark. So you never know until everything is up!
    Sherry thanked bekahjoy2015
  • 10 years ago

    Bekahjoy - I think you may be right. Really, there's very little paint color that is going to show in the kitchen. The cabinets go to the ceiling and there will be backsplash so I think I will just leave it for now. Once everything is done I may find that it all blends better than I thought! : )

  • 10 years ago

    Sherry, I always like to have paint on the walls with a little grey in it as the grey makes the walls recede into the background visually. You may find that the color you chose will make your cabinets look fabulous. So I agree with bekahjoy and others to leave the paint as is. Get everything finished up (maybe leave the backsplash decision until later) and live with the color for a while. Put your things in the kitchen dining room, and living room, art on the walls, rugs on the floor, etc. Then if you hate the kitchen color, you can change it.

    Sherry thanked leighanngilson
  • 10 years ago

    Leighann - thank you for your input. I will probably do just what you said and post follow-up photos to see the consensus. I appreciate your help. You know, Saturday night freak-out when you see the paint color and it isn't what it looked like on the 12x12 section you painted in your house.... : )

  • 9 years ago
    Did you repaint or leave as is? I would love to see how it turned out.