Software
Houzz Logo Print
jennjustella55

Need help!

13 years ago
Help! My den is so dark...what should I do? Should I paint the walls or leave them?? All suggestions are welcomed!

Comments (26)

  • 13 years ago
    Upgrade the lighting.
  • 13 years ago
    I have the same challenge in my '40's old farmhouse; I discovered natural lighting, Sola..?.stores like large hardware ones and such have them I cannot recall the entire name! So sorry! Google it, and even Lowes' has it, any designer/decorator would know the name; it is simply from the inside, working like a light, and flat on the ceiling like an installed piece, and through technology it is guided through tubing to your outside of your home, gathering sunlight; I am installing three! I will let you know if you would like.
    ALSO my one son, now 27, asked if I had considered painting my hearth brick white; well, not really but it may make a lovely difference, as would arranging furniture that is dark with some lighter pieces. I need to run, otherwise I would write more! Best of luck!
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you! Often have thought of whitewashing the brick on the fireplace, but its old historic Charleston brick so I keep chickening out! I am definitely taking out fan and upgrading to a lantern. But other than that I am stuck!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Paint the walls and change drapes. Also painting out fireplace will be awesome
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    would change the curtains into a non print,maybe an accentcolor you like...and have an uplight behind the tv,and put black/white deco/art pieces on the mantel and or a mirror ,dont think i would paint the the panelling or the bricks,it looks good as it is
  • 13 years ago
    Paint the walls a light color, leave the brick and the ceiling beams. Would be spectacular.
  • 13 years ago
    jenn, is the sofa the same black as the chair? if they were switched to an off white it would help a great deal.
    lighting changes for sure. caroles uplight behind the TV is great idea.
    a distrssed white coffe table .
    you could paint the beams to match the ceiling. or stain all of the wood a light weathered driftwood. or paint all of the wood white.
    i'm normally in favor of painting red brick white, in fact i painted my own and love it. however, your brick is attractive. painting would be only if all else failed to lighten the room to your satisfaction.
    the mantle needs different art/dressing. i'll see what i can find.
  • 13 years ago
    I think that if you painted you might regret it at some point in the future. It looks like pretty wood and brick. I agree with lighter sofa and chairs, light solid colored drapes, and better lighting. If you have the wall space, you might consider a large mirror, or a light colored tapestry or quilt. A quilt could tie in with the colonial feel to the room.
  • 13 years ago
    Yes, unfortunately the sofa is also black.... I'm looking for a new rug if u have any suggestions!!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    You have too many different styles. The black couch and rug are too modern for the country look. Paint out fireplace and walls to fit with the furnishings and it will feel completely different.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    If you decide to change rug I would still paint out fireplace and wall but leave beams in ceiling. Distressed furniture would look great and a chunky rug Depends on your style which way too go. Are you country or modern
  • 13 years ago
    love this!!very country i would think.... i like the rug you have and to mix country with modern or contempory makes for a more interesting home
  • 13 years ago
    Track lighting would look good. I'd leave the brick and paneling but paint the beams, mantle, baseboards, and molding white. Get rid of the rug and replace the drapes with something lighter.
  • 13 years ago
    I love distressed furniture... More into teals, blues, etc. I guess I'm more modern, definitely not country!
  • 13 years ago
    more like this????
  • 13 years ago
    I like idea of lighter walls, keeping the fireplace brick that is so dear, as well as the wooden beams; the touches like even a single wall in a light aqua would light you up, too! I have done this and it makes me smile every day! Or go with the lighter furniture; I am on a hunt myself, tired of the dark leather, so saving $$ up for new and someday it will happen.
  • 13 years ago
    p. s. a hint. Right now Crate and Barrel has the very sectional leather sofa in all colors, on sale, 15% off of all of their upholstered furniture actually, which is huge as it adds up.....check it out! The one I saw on the floor locally is my absolute favorite,AXIS---AND is filled with down, it is soft, nice leather not drum-dyed, which is thicker feeling and not soft; and the design is streamlined but wide enough for our tall guys, you could even sleep on it; I am dealing w/ a small space, too but think that I can work it. There is a love-seat w/ right end arm, a center seat, and a love seat w/ a left-end arm that are small enough. I am checking out colors. See if you can find it. I noticed you had leather chair same color as mine and it is so dark when looking at my whole room done in it! :)
  • 13 years ago
    if a new sofa is not in budget maybe start with changing out the chair and the curtains...
  • 13 years ago
    An alternative to painting the walls is to run light drapes the entire length of the wall or at least from the dark corner past the doors. Then place a large horizontal canvas painting (with lots of white in it and no frame) over the fireplace. If you keep the rug ( and I think it is really fun) use the white/off white color in it for the drapes and as a dominate color in the art. The art you are using above the fireplace is too small in scale and the mat on the picture is too yellow/beige to go with the rug. I would personally love mixing the warmth of your home with modern elements. You could then paint your coffee table that same light color....Lots of fun options.
  • 13 years ago
    I think if you put the tv on a taller stand and move it behind the corner of the fireplace it will allow more light flow. I like the idea of lighter curtains and I also like the idea of the rod and curtains going all the way to the left corner, which will lighten that wall and corner. A mirror in place of the picture on the mantle would brighten the room, too.
  • 13 years ago
    Another thought on the light colored curtains mentioned above. Make sure the fabric has texture..lots of texture.
  • 13 years ago
    I have no idea about the lights Deb is talking about but I would certainly look into it. I'm with others on the drapes. I would put up beautiful ivory linen panels. Then I would have professional slip covers made for the chair & sofa. Creams , ivories & tans & lots of textures. Here are some pics for inspiration.
  • 13 years ago
    Love the ideas! Thank you so much!! I am going to definitely going to go with ivory panels all the way to left side.... Love the last photo that was posted! Great inspiration! Should I keep the zebra rug or look for new one?
  • 13 years ago
    Maybe put it in another room & use your zebra in pillows.
  • 13 years ago
    I would keep it. However, You might put your new curtains up first. They will give you a new perspective. You can then decide for sure on the rug. Notice the pictures in the room you like. something like that would work above your fireplace. You could also put light cushions on your hearth ledge.