Software
Houzz Logo Print
jordonmusser

Roof structure question

10 years ago

I recently completed (2 years ago) a custom build where the roof structure was built on site.
Unfortunately on one area of 3/12 slope they didnt brace the rafters correctly. half the purlins fall on to ceilings joists that are not structural. Note there is NO ceiling dry wall cracking, etc. probably because a lot of those ceilings joists dont have drywall directly on them due to drop ceilings, etc.
I need to replace the shingles due to a hail storm (yay north texas). I can visually see which rafters are properly support by looking across the roof (can't see from ground). The ones that are supported well are ~1/2" higher than the others. I did verify against a span table that the rafters should only span 13' MAX, and they are as much as 18' (assuming the supports do nothing).
Luckily I dont have large snow loads, but I need to decide if I want to fix this. The reason I dont just fix it properly (beam for purlins to fall on) is that the attic is VERY small (low slope roof) and I have spray foam on the roof decking. so I will likely have to remove drywall ceilings to touch up spray foam, get beams in, etc. I can just pull off the roof deck and brace. There are also a lot of AC ducts running near where this beam would be, so I would be concerned even if somebody could wiggle them selves into the spot what other damage would occur.
My assumption is if I can live with the 1/2" sag it probably won't get much/any worse. It looks bad when talking the roof, but it can't be seen from the ground. Probably more likely to raise a bunch of further concerns and pain in the ass if I have them rip the whole thing apart to fix. Also part of the area that is sagging is actually a vaulted ceiling so I would have to pull down all the ceiling drywall in there.
Just wanted some input from real world experience, the engineering tables say fix it.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio