Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karenr__sternberg

Disappearing 9 patch - current obsession

Karen S. (7b, NYC)
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi Folks,

There's a current thread showing a Disappearing 9 Patch where some admirers of that poster's 1st quilt mention their interest in doing one soon. It's called TADA ...

Well, I'm currently undergoing an obsession w/ them & thought I'd share bits in progress.

It started a couple of months ago when I came home w/ some scraps of a bright multi- colored print that wanted me to make it into a Disappearing 9 Patch. Well I started, then couldn't stop & learned a week later a neighbor's wife is pregnant! Seems this soon to be baby quilt had a mind of its own.

The print on the lower left block & upper right block w/ that multi-colored print is what started it all. I was going along fine, using largely blues & then learned the baby is a girl.

Oops, need to pink things up some. Here's the new 9 patch starting out:

Here again after cutting & reassembly.

I'll post it after it's assembled; it's partly done as I got distracted & onto the next whole new set of them.

The whole other set of Disappearing 9 Patches using fancy wovens, gingham check & shirting fabrics.

& after scrambling

Here's the alternate block, 1st as its 9 patch

& after its scramble

So it seems I've lost my mind a bit & have all in various states of progress. Design walls everywhere! Here's the overall shot of the these blocks in their preliminary 9-patch configuration.

I think it'll be cool to compare before & after the scramble.

Will post more when done.

Comments (20)

• grammyp
    7 years ago

Next you need to try the disappearing 4 patch.

• jackier123
    7 years ago

I have made many of them. Especially if I needed a quilt in a hurry. Different colors make them all look like different patterns.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    7 years ago

You got distracted? LOLOL That's normal with me! Enjoy making the D9P, I know you'll have fun with all the layouts! The last 'disappearing' quilt I made was the D16P using the one our Sue made for a pattern. That was fun, too. I just love finding easy patterns that are new to me.

• beth7happy
    7 years ago

lol... I love these, too! so, who says that sewing is boring?????

• polardream
    7 years ago

Fun! I love DP9, and the DP16. There are so many variations once you get started. I think I will try using up some scraps when I get home and do some of the DP16s ... so many ideas - not enough time!

• bkay2000
    7 years ago

I look forward to seeing the final result. It's a fun quilt to make.

bkay

• beth7happy
    7 years ago

love it!! it sure turned out sweet!

• fran1523
    7 years ago

Whoo Way to go girl. Have fun. That's what it's all about.

• loisflan
    7 years ago

Very sweet. If I were your neighbor, I would love to get that quilt. A three month old baby is still a new-born in my book.

• colleenoz
    7 years ago

And it's colder now so it will keep baby warm. It's so pretty, I'm sure your neighbour will love it!

• bev2009
    7 years ago

Very pretty. I'm sure your neighbor would love it and use it.

• vasutx (storiedquilts.com)
    7 years ago

All of tall of them are very pretty. This can be quite addictive :-)

• littlehelen_gw
    7 years ago

very cute...i agree with others, your neighbor would appreciate it for her new addition.

• jlt37869
    7 years ago

That's adorable! Anyone would love that quilt.

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi All,

Thanks for your kind words & lovely support. I'm on the fence a bit.

Here's some fresh pix in outdoor light & this wknd's fresh snow.

I haven't washed it yet, wonder how pouffy it'll get.

Yes Vasu, they're very addictive.

I have to stop work on the Blue Green one to work on an entry for my Guild's Quilt Show in April. Excited to get back to that -- holding myself back ...

I'm on the fence w/ this over technical issues (which I partly (rationally) understand few care about other than me).

Like the fact that 3 out of 4 corner units are Blue, but the 4th is Green.

Like the interior block's Green is different that the rest.

AND last, the backing fabric isn't plain weave; it's a sateen & it snags a bit. It has a slight discoloration which I only saw AFTER I'd sandwiched the thing (backing fabric might have been from scrap table of donations), but it doesn't seem to show in the pic.

So, some issues here. I'm realizing I should wash it & see how it fairs, then I'll decide.

• jlt37869
    7 years ago

The quilt looks great! I think the colors work well together. Good job!

• quiltnhen
    7 years ago

Fun quilts.

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for encouraging me to give it to them, I gave it to them this evening. The young Mom looked pretty pleased, the young Dad, my helpful neighbor positively beamed at me, a radiant smile I'll remember for a long time, commenting that he could see there was a lot of work involved.

My Guild colleagues were in agreement w/ you for me to to give it to them. A senior fellow quilter told me if I made it w/ love, then give it to them; he sure was right. So I did & I feel great about it.

Only down side is the pink backing bled pink on some of my white undies, ... sigh ;>) I washed & dried it a 2nd time, it still bled a bit. Guess I should buy & keep some color catchers for emergencies. I've never used them, but sure wished I had them today.

Such a feeling of accomplishment to send another quilt out into the Universe, especially for a baby!

• polardream
    7 years ago

Karen - so glad you gave it to them. They appreciate your kindness and efforts for them. Also - go ahead and get the color catchers and rewash your undies - should take out the pink!

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County