Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kendertaunt

Please help choose backsplash color to help warm up kitchen

kendertaunt
7 years ago

Hello! I recently got new countertops. Love, love love them! I also cleaned the tile and got new cabinet hardware and a new light over the window to make it feel more new. However, the silestone counters are cold, literally. And with the tile floor and vaulted ceilings combined with all the white, this will be glorious in the summertime, but it's definitely leaving me a bit cold now that it's winter! I'm thinking the backsplash needs some contrast, and should be glossy finish to warm it up. Thoughts? It's a big decision and I want to get it right. Curious about your ideas. I'm thinking a smoke/dove gray, sage green, or a mushroom brown color. Thanks in advance!

Comments (19)

• spymatch
    7 years ago

Im thinking terra-cotta w/ touches of navy. Under cab lighting will reflect the backsplash onto the countertop.

kendertaunt thanked spymatch
  • jhmarie
    7 years ago

I really like my simple cream tile, but it might be too simple for you as my countertop has more going on. I show you just as one of many possibilities.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~57088087

I cannot see if you have a window treatment, but a pretty roman shade along with a pretty rug may also help.

kendertaunt thanked jhmarie
  • kendertaunt
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I really liked the top and bottom ones. It's funny, both Beth and spymatch mentioned the color blue, which previously wasn't on my radar at all. Do you think the top pattern will be too busy for the kitchen? I really do like it.

And I LOVE jhmarie's idea of a window treatment and a rug, even if it's just for the winter and I remove them in the summer to cool it down and brighten it up.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

I like the idea of gray tile but not glossy and then just add color with as mentioned the nice thing with a neutral backdrop you can change those colors anytime . The top pattern for me is too formal for your space.

kendertaunt thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • acm
    7 years ago

I think sage could be nice, or this is one of the rare quiet kitchens that could justify use of a bit of an interesting mosaic...

12"x12" Block Mosaic Tile, Tan & White · More Info

Bliss Creme Brulee Stone and Glass Linear Mosaic Tile, 4" X 6" Sample · More Info

11.8"x11.8" 3D Silver and Pewter Aluminum Square Mosaic Tile, Single Sheet · More Info

12"x12" Jadeite Green Handmade Glass Tile, Full Sheet · More Info

Utaupia Hand Painted Linear Glass Mosaic Tile, Sample · More Info

12"x12" Light Sage Green Glass Tile, Full Sheet, Grid · More Info

11.93"x12.91" Ming Green Glass Strip Super White And Gold Vine Bath Stone Tile · More Info

Just some ideas. I think you want texture, at least, and ideally some color and/or pattern in there...

https://www.flooranddecor.com/tile-decoratives/dream-icelandic-blue-ice-glass-tile-100088426.html#start=4

kendertaunt thanked acm
  • brghealey
    7 years ago
    I like the gray subway tile. It would match the floor grout and would keep things neutral. I would add a rug, for texture, not necessarily for color. And most importantly, I would add greenery and baskets on top of the upper cabinets. Everything you've done is lovely, it just needs texture and textiles to break up the hard surfaces.
    kendertaunt thanked brghealey
  • brghealey
    7 years ago
    I just noticed you already have baskets. What I would like to see are larger, rounder baskets perhaps in a darker shade for contrast, along with some greenery. The round baskets will break up the square-ness and result in a softer look. I'm not big into adding colors, I think texture and contrast will be enough to break up the hard surfaces.
  • Emily Jowers
    7 years ago
    Your kitchen will look nice with any color really since it's pretty neutral right now. I would add some pattern since your counter has none. The arabesque is nice. Blue and gray don't tend to be warm colors. If you want to add warmth, green is warm and it evokes a feeling of nature, which is lacking in wintertime. You could incorporate it through the backsplash or the window treatment and rug. I attached some cool green arabesque tiles.
  • Emily Jowers
    7 years ago
    I also have to post this one. It's my favorite backsplash and it's a warmer blue and very lively, which I think might conquer the cold feeling.
    kendertaunt thanked Emily Jowers
  • grapefruit1_ar
    7 years ago

I would use something similar to your countertop color. Then you can add the warmth with rugs, towels, curtains, etc. Colored backsplashes will limit changes in the future. You could even skip the backslash tile and just paint the room a warmer color.

kendertaunt thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • leelee
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

How about this to work with your cabinets and counters.

kendertaunt thanked leelee
  • leelee
    7 years ago

It's the floor that makes the kitchen look cold. You might add a couple of indoor/outdoor rugs in colors that would brighten.

kendertaunt thanked leelee
  • PRO
    WS Granite Tops
    7 years ago

kendertaunt thanked WS Granite Tops
  • kendertaunt
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you all! I love the idea of a rug to warm it up. LeeLee, I love the tile you posted with the pic of my room. And I LOVE the arabesque tile with the gold border that Emily posted. I did get a few rugs to try out at my local store. I'm digging how red looks in there! Well, more like a burnt orangey-red.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

kender,,,I think you could do any type of backsplash and it would work in your space. You have a completely neutral palette. Lot of good tile selection above! But if you wanted some color,,,,well these are my absolute fave. I have two of the samples in the blue and love them. this color palette would look amazing as your splash as it has the gold glass to tie in the cabinet shade. This top gold one would look so good w/your cabinets. And it's neutral enough that you add other colors around it.

http://tilebar.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=komorebe

or the crackle glass arabesque in hazelnut

also like the white onyx vein cut,,

and Calacatta w/ming green dots.

• Emily Jowers
    7 years ago

Beth, those top two tiles are amazing!

• kendertaunt
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, they are!! I'm on Tilebar right now. Also, LeeLee, where did you get that first rug pic from? The southwestern-styled one? That's perfect!