Software
Houzz Logo Print
scarmstrong

Help with color (x posted in home building)

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
  • I just ordered the windows in bronze in keeping with the current theme. Then, I started watching Last Man Standing with Tim Allen. I find myself wanting to change to the depicted homes color scheme. This would require a change in window color to cream. Also a repaint of all wood to cream and tan/beige on the stucco.
    Current home

possible color change:

Please voice your much needed opinion,

Comments (9)

  • 9 years ago

    The house in the 2nd picture has a much more complicated exterior so I don't think changing yours would be as successful. I like the idea of the dark window frames because I think that it will add richness. Doesn't the home in "Last Man Standing" have a much darker paint scheme with almost a forest type landscaping? Landscaping with some evergreens might get you closer to the look you want. In fact, I would post your picture on the Landscape forum and let the experts there have a go at it.

  • 9 years ago

    I think painting all your wood and windows in cream would make the 4* pillars of brick more prominent (maybe 5 depending what's on the other side of the garage). That's not necessarily wrong. But it wouldn't make it look like the inspiration picture.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Although both houses have half timbering, they really are not the same style. Yours is Mock Tudor and the inspiration house is a form of American Stick style house. (They both owe a lot to Tudor, and a Stick Style house strictly speaking is all wood--but the massing is completely different, because the age of the two houses is completely different).

    The subtle differences between the two styles would mean to me that the result would not be exactly the same. I don't think you have the width of casing around the windows to get the same effect, for example.

  • 9 years ago

    I could not find the actual inspiration house online so here's a "screen shot" on my tv:)

    Powermuffin, Thanks for your suggestion. I just removed the majority of our landscaping, my dogs did the rest. We will be redoing the front walk & stone wall area. We are heavily wooded on the side & back so I'm hoping for a cleaner look in the front. We do have larger groups of trees closer to the road but I'm well in front of them for the shot posted.

    Amberm, yes 5 pillars of brick. Sorry for the confusion on the inspiration pic (it was color pallet example but above is the actual pic).

    Palimpsest, Thanks, We have new casements with larger casings installing soon. (Currently on order for bronze exterior/white interior with matching grids.). I would need to paint out the odd window box in beige & white boxed windows.

    I appreciate your responses.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    You have a gray roof with brown bricks.

    To make it work, and I believe you can, you'll need the right paint colors. Obviously, the cream color from the windows will have to be matched and used on the trim and should help guide you to a darker beige.

    I'd also repeat the detail on the very front portion of the house on the area above the front door. The beefier window casings will help.

  • 9 years ago

    Roof roof is actually brown, though it doesn't look it in this pic for some reason. My husband is skeptical at best that this would work. Everything just seems so chocolate (& boring).

  • 9 years ago

    I see. I was looking at the wrong house, the one you posted just for color.

    Houseofsticks thanked palimpsest
  • 9 years ago

    Kept the bronze color. Thanks for the responses!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Columbus' Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting