Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amber1960

What to do with this Ugly entertainment center??

amber1960
11 years ago
What can I do with this??? Thinking of doing a canterra stone fireplace. The tables are carved with marble tops. This entertainment center fit the hole but I've never liked the way this looks. It's all you see. I thought about having it painted or doing something different with the hole it sets back in. The wall on the right is all glass.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Comments (59)

• PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    Oh my! Lots more going on, than the wall unit! Ok, so this is the tile for fireplace? Have you thoughts on the new furniture?
  • amber1960
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes I'm looking for new furniture too. No, the tile fireplace is going. Wer're looking at canterra firplaces.
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    Oh I see, the tile is for the floor. Well, if redoing almost everything in the room, I would say to have a built in done that works with your style and gives the fp the room it needs.
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    I think if you made all these changes and yet kept the one thing you are most unhappy with, it would be a mistake you would regret.
  • amber1960
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I agree about the built in but I don't want to end up with something that takes over the room like I have now. I thought about a simple console stand for the tv but then maybe shelves on the sides. Or fill in the whole thing and hang the tv on the front of the wall.
  • amber1960
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    If this was your's what would you do?
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    Well lets see. How do you use the room? Do you entertain a lot, or is it primarily a family space? What is your style? If everything is going, what did you have in mind for the finished room?
  • PRO
    Classic Painting & Contracting.LLC
    11 years ago
    Demo fireplace and old built in and take advantage of the spaces by designing new fireplace and entertainment built in.
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    I don't have one single tv! I am not a fan of a tv dominating a room. Let me have a think!
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    And yes as classic said, I would demo it all and rethink it.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Like Susan said see your priorities and decide and write it down or keep looking for ideas in this wonderful site . Nice to meet you Susan am gonna look at your pics
  • amber1960
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Ok. The room is our family room and it flows right in to the kitchen. I want it to be classy but comfy. We're in a hot, dry climate so maybe use the fireplace once a year on Christmas Eve. lol But still we have one and need one if we ever go to see the house. We don't need towers on each side as we really only need a place for the dvd player etc. HOnestly, the wall unit fit the hole and was on sale. My husband bought it. He's ok with doing something different. The tables in the room are carved with marble tops. The fireplace will be bigger and carved stone. I've had two painters in bidding on the interior job this week and one said he could paint the et center. The other said it would never look right as you would still see the grain and the lights and darks would come through the paint.
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    Thanks Classic, all my recent pics are on a stolen laptop!
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    Great amber, and yes painter two is correct. I would hire him because he is honest and cares.

This is a big job and worth getting right amber, you need a design for the fireplace, the tv wall, whether it be built in or other. Also need floor plan for furnishing and a colour scheme. You will also need accessories and perhaps art. Much more than can be done on Houzz. You will get many suggestions and ideas but you need one good professional to pull it all together and create a home to love. Many of us on Houzz work via Internet doing e-design. I do and have worked with clients across Canada, UK and Australia. You may prefer working with someone local, either way, I strongly recommend it.
  • amber1960
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Classic would you try and connect the fireplace and et center or keep them separate. Here is the style of the fireplace.
  • amber1960
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I agree Susan. I tried a couple months ago but had totally different taste than the designer. She was much more rustic and suggested very, very dark colors, dark floors and contemporary/rustic furniture. So I have to make sure they will help with my style instead of trying to re-invent my wheel with something they like.
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    That fireplace must remain separate, to try to unite them would be to lose the focus IMO.
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    Definitely! A good designer will as my latest referral said " respect her ideas but bring new and exciting ones".
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I love the style! In my opinion I will make the fireplace the center of attention by placing the flat screen on top of fireplace and built a nice built-in next to it with door so all devices are concealed
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I think Susan is also right but it depends on how comfortable you feel with this whole idea to make this room great!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Well good luck with it and Susan I will be in touch with you for ideas.
    Beautiful day here in Westport, Ct heading to lunch with kids cheers. You both!
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    I'm getting a rustic/elegant old world meets classic vibe. I would not put a tv over that glorious fireplace but would find a gorgeous armoire to house it. This would be placed far enough from fireplace to compliment it not stifle it.
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    Sounds lovely classic, enjoy!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Susan how do I follow you? Or put you in my friends
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    What size is your tv?
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    Classic, not sure if there is a friends, that would be nice, but click on my name in this box and click follow.
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    I've got you:)
  • PRO
    InSiDesign
    11 years ago
    the painters were right about seeing the grain come thru, also once painted, that unit will not have the durability it has now. . if you are going to replace the mantle, incorporate the mantle design with a new built in. that way it is all done at the same time, you have the same style and one focal point.
  • amber1960
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Susan if measured diagonally the tv is 72".
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    Agree on that insidesign, I think the design posted is a bit too ornate for that though, or how do you see it being done on that scale?
  • PRO
    InSiDesign
    11 years ago
    ooor.. you could just hang the tv on the wall there, get rid of the wood built in, build in a simple lower cabinet assy there... you could top off with the canterra stone, or have a coordinating cushion made.
  • chanteln
    11 years ago
    My brother is a painting contractor and my mom had a large oak et that he painted black, the added a distressed finish by sanding off edges here and there. You can still see the grain, but it works because of the distressed finish. The et has become a beautiful, updated piece of furniture. If you wanted to go a little more modern, I would paint the et (since it fits sooo perfectly), mount the tv on the wall, add an accent color to the back alcove wall, and put in a big overstuffed black leather sectional. The room is classic, but comfortable, and you can replace the mirror with art that picks up on your accent color.
  • amber1960
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    insidesign would you keep the hole then, hang the tv back in to it and have the cabinet go the full length?
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    Amber, the drawing you posted for the fireplace, is that what you want? If so, what about closing the space to width of Center piece of cabinet(size of tv) mount the tv above, frame it in with doors that bifold in a shutter old world look or something similar to the styles of tables you wish to keep. This would give the fireplace the room it needs to be the focal point, you would use a bit of what you have and support the look you are after.
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    Good to see we have discussion here, I need to do some things, will check in later. Be interested to see how things develop.
  • pattyag
    11 years ago
    I would change the legs, paint it black and put some bevel panels to replace the glass... I think you can seal the wood so the grain doesn't show...
  • pattyag
    11 years ago
    Maybe something like this?
  • mousemaker
    11 years ago
    do I have this right now? she's taking out the previous fireplace? and then building a new fireplace where the entertainment center is? i'm trying to follow! :) I think you should get some cats! they would love the windows and you could put a long soft bench there for them :)
  • pattyag
    11 years ago
    didn't work..
  • pattyag
    11 years ago
    OK Try again...
  • amber1960
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    mousemaker the fireplace is being redone but staying in the corner of the room. The hole in the wall and the entertainment center is a totally different thing.
  • amber1960
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Pattyag is this what style you would use for an entertainment center?
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Fill the hole with a custom built-in that meets your esthetic.
  • L M Nolan
    11 years ago
    I would get rid of the unit and hide the TV. They should never be a focal point. There's a recess to mount the TV there, can you put a door or sliding wall over it?
  • groveraxle
    11 years ago
    The television dominates the room. It needs to be hidden or toned down. Here are some options:
    Newtown Terrace · More Info

Alta Plaza Residence · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/media-wall-hides-the-television-in-plain-sight-stsetivw-vs~921686
  • pattyag
    11 years ago
    amber1960 Yes it is... That picture is just an idea of the type of beveled panels I was thinking of..
    It wouldn't dominate the piece like it does in those cabinets..
  • mousemaker
    11 years ago
    thanks amber1960. by the by, is that a vintage you like? :) I read through the posts but no one suggested a bookshelf. would that interest you? I know you need a spot for the TV, but maybe the tv could be worked in.
    I am against Tv's over fireplaces, sorry :) I think books would be perfect.
  • mchandyman
    11 years ago
    Have a carpenter take the bridge off the top, then use the matching crown on the face of the bridge to finish top of each side. Move TV up to balance space. The results is a balanced look in the cavity. Then decide to paint or not.
  • marytinson
    11 years ago
    Just a couple of comments. I painted very heavy grained dark vanity cabinets and the wood grain did not show through. The secret is to prime the wood and then paint with good quality paint or melamine paint. Does an excellent job.

Comment 2...didn't read all the comments but did anyone suggest having doors made for your cabinet to close off the tv when not using? A talented carpenter could make doors or sliding doors for you. Lot cheaper than scrapping and buying or building a new one. Good luck.