Software
Houzz Logo Print
jankhan88

Help....too much honey oak!

13 years ago
I love the layout of my kitchen and the quality of the cupboards but I do NOT love the color....honey oak. We are changing counter tops and flooring but are not changing appliances. Help!

Comments (7)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    As a Realtor, people think this is dated now. Why not paint them a dark colour?
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Removing the overhead ballast light will help alot. Install small canned lights in the ceiling instead and the honey oak will be gone at least from the ceiling. I'd considering painting the cabinets. If you don't want to paint the cabinets, how about painting anything else that is oak a darker color...i.e., the table top, chair seats, stools, etc.
  • 13 years ago
    My first thought was to paint the cabinets white, grey countertops and a darker floor, perhaps slate or slate colored. Remove the box light about the island and replace with 3 suspended light fixtures, new light fixture over table.
  • 13 years ago
    If painting the cabinets is not an option how about adding a dark glaze to the finish? I would change the cabinet hardware and replace the light box with a more contemporary fixture or recessed cans. The white toe kicks at the base of the cabinets need to match the cabinets. Since they are white they have become a focal point.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks so much for your comments....it sure helps to have others see things I didn't notice. Painting the cabinets is an option but would be a lot of work. I don't want to kill my hubby!!!! However, he would do it. Kris...you suggested adding a dark glaze finish. Would it be the same work as painting? And yeh, the light box is going for sure! I never thought about the toe kicks.
  • 13 years ago
    To glaze the cabinets they need to be sanded to remove the finish without removing the stain. Then a good wipe down, apply glaze all over door, frame, panels. Allow to sit for a minute or two and wipe off. If it is not dark enough repeat the process. Once cabinets are dry apply finish coat. (you might want to check with a local paint store regarding the best products to use. You may want to stay away from the big box stores). Please consider changing the toe kick material to something that more closely matches the cabinets. It really dates the kitchen. Hope this is helpful.