Software
Houzz Logo Print
mitchellfox

Kitchen remodel -order of the sub-tasks? Tile before appliances?

13 years ago
We are doing a kitchen remodel(new tile floor , using existing subfloor), new granite countertop, new appliances, backsplash, pass through, etc)-
We have not hand stood yet what order these should be in?
What order should these be done in?
Tile floor
Templating of granite countertop
Granite countertop install
New appliance (dishwasher, refrigerator, slide-in stove)
install
Backsplash install
New cabinet install
Wall paint
New outlet installation
New lighting
Demolition
Creation of pass through, new framing

Thanks

Comments (42)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Is this a test to see if I'm awake?
  • 13 years ago
    No, I didn't mean it to be a joke. We were shopping g for granite and one store told us that we had to have the appliances in before the template for the granite countertop was done, so the countertop is the correct fit. Then we didn't know if the tile floor goes in before the appliances. These are real questions for us.
  • 13 years ago
    thank you for the detailed response
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Ironwood Builders came to the rescue once again !
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    The only thing I could possibly add to such a thorough list is...before rough electrical is done, rethink and double check where you want your new recessed cans...under/above cabinet lighting? ..extra outlets...3way switches? ..dimmers? Pendant lights over island/sink? What color switches/receptacles (white, light almond, almond). Do you want toggle vs standard switches? Have these questions answered before electrician comes on board so that all your needs are met correctly.
  • 13 years ago
    Hip, hip, hooray....Dave has saved the day. Ironwood for President.....!..........and I can be the national poet.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Ironwood you crack me up :) You must have the patience of Jobe to take the time to list out the process....I prefer to take the nap.......
  • 13 years ago
    I will need this info someday soon when I get to my kitchen so I'm saving this list. If Ironwood were President, at least all our homes would be built properly!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Jeez, guys! You should see my list of client selections that need to be made before I start the foundation...or the order of operations for a new build on a country property with well, septic, roads(!) and fire safe standards. Good thing we have computers now...used to be all on paper!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Crud! I must have been napping! I left out insulation!
  • 13 years ago
    All iI can say is put your granite countertops in before your tile floor. Some of the tile in my condo broke when they rolled the granite over it.
  • 13 years ago
    Insulation... Check.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Really? My installers always hand carry the slabs in. That way the don't scratch the hardwoods or break tile!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    When do you have time to work - yet alone sleep !!!!
  • 13 years ago
    @Ironwood. It is our fondest wish to make it back to California (my husband is a native and I should be viewed as one!) but for many reasons, too sad to go into here, we are stuck in N.E. Florida. If and when we do buy in the Napa/Lake County area we will need someone of your many talents (and sense of humor) and you can be sure we'll be knocking at your door. Please don't turn us away! The fact that you would put together this list and do it with a sense of humor tells us houzzers a lot about you not the least of which is you're a very talented guy and you've got a lot of time on your hands ;)
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I have zero time on my hands! I sleep little and work fast. I volunteer at a local non-profit, have horses and an acre and a half to maintain. I run a small business....there is an old saying, "When you want something done, ask a busy person"! Right now is lunch time...I'm catching up on emails and Houzz postings, then punch list and clear out of my latest fabu job until dinner time...run home and eat, then come back to Houzz until I fall asleep in my chair... Tomorrow I finish an estimate for a new job and send it off for my site super and my bookkeeper to look over and jump on the last items on my punch list and call for final inspection...this is my life...do you wonder that I am single? I'll be doing this until I drop or manage to find a really cheap beach somewhere (really, really cheap!). So when you make it back to NorCal, I'll be here!
  • 13 years ago
    Cripes, man. I am exhausted just reading that. I have too much time on my hands. If there was a way, I would be happy to pass some of it to you.
  • 13 years ago
    Let's have a party.
  • 13 years ago
    Lets!
  • 13 years ago
    I think Ironwood should be cloned! I enjoy him and learn things, some of them useless to me :-), but I read them anyway.
  • 13 years ago
    @Ironwood. You're probably single for the same reason you're so popular on houzz. You're into the details. But details consume an awful lot of time. I know I married someone like that. I wish I could say he was rewarded for his effort monetarily but he knew he was doing the right thing. (I can recall years ago at a business conference at a N.Y. golf resort, all the other department heads were on the golf course or the tennis court. MY DH was on a teleconference call with his European managers.) And looking at the details of a relationship under a magnifying glass when all should be "light and air" and "wonderful" can sometimes open one's eyes to things better left unseen and not talked about. Enjoy yourself Ironwood, find the right women, get married and make a few exemptions! You need them in the great Golden state of California!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Maddy, way past the point of exemptions! I'm a grandpa! I have three kids over 21 and I no longer have to be Dad for 8 hours a day.
  • 11 years ago

    @Ironwood. H,i love your list, it is so helpful I typed it into a word document to print out and check off. One question, we want to get our cabinets painted, where would that go on our list? Last? Thanks for your info!!!

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    maryferguson60, The cabinets are usually painted before we put them in. If it is a re-paint, it should be done in lieu of cabinet installation. Less masking, no finished flooring. BTW, things change when hardwood floor is involved. Different order of operations.

  • 11 years ago

    THANKS! We are having the wood floor installed, then granite counters, then cabinets painted, then backsplash...right?

  • 10 years ago

    Ironwood, I echo the gratitude. Great list! So... I'm refinishing hardwood. I'd guess this would come much earlier in the process than tile/flooring install. Would it be before cabinet install & doors/windows? Are steps in that process split by anything?

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Mitchell... please don't put tile over an existing subfloor...that is just looking for trouble, your tile and grout lines will crack...I assume you meant ceramic tile..not the peel and stick. Use Schluter or Durock products MUDDED Down!!!! If you have to take out and reinstall the entry door to meet the new floor height, it is what it is...Order of operations...1 Find money, lots of it 2. A qualified contractor. 3 Designer/architect/ blue prints 4 building dept for permits 5 order materials 6 demolition 7 pass thru 8 electrical, plumbing etc...8 building dept inspection 9 Marriage counseling 10 hide the beer 11 drywall, tape/finish/prime/ 1st coat wall finish 2 coats on ceiling 12 tile backer, tile, grout, cover floor with cardboard 13 hang door casings and trim out pass thru 14 install cabinets 15 first coat, trim baseboard 16 install dishwasher, oven 17 call for countertop measure 18 wait 19 final coat paint 20 install electrical fixtures 21 install countertop 22 install back splash 23 complain 24 give contractors more money 25 vacuum house top to bottom and shampoo carpets 26 Enjoy ....Ironwood, did I forget anything??
  • 10 years ago

    I am keeping my Almilmo cabinets. Have linoleum floor currently. Half bath is entered from kitchen. Will be removing linoleum in kitchen, breakfast room, and 1/2 bath. Will have porcelain tile 12x24 installed in these areas. Will replace Formica countertops with Quartz. Island will be recycled glass. Replacing old stovetop with new one. New undermount kitchen sink will be installed. Will tear out built in vanity in 1/2 bath and will remove mirror above vanity. Will replace with free-standing vanity. Will remove wallpaper in kitchen and breakfast room and walls will be painted. I am the "contractor" and need advice on order of things to be done. May need electrician to do a few minor things. Please advise. Thanks.

  • 10 years ago

    I am doing a kitchen remodel (removing a wall into dining room a building a large breakfast bar- moving existing cabinets and appliances) and haven't yet picked a contractor. The first bid came in and the only surprise was that he wants to put a new subfloor in. I currently have the sheet rolled vinyl and was thinking of going to "luxury vinyl" wood style planks non-floating. Do I really need a new subfloor? I was comfortable just putting in a patch for the 10' wall that will be taken out. The house in less than 15 years old, do I really need the extra expense of a new subfloor? If so, what type of flooring can I have installed that I don't need a new subfloor- I'd rather put the money into the flooring itself- hardwood? another style of LVT? sheet vinyl? Also, I have a 15' island/breakfast bar going in- do the floors always get installed under before the island is built or can the planks be put down around the island. I appreciate any help, I have learned a lot from these comments. Thanks!

  • 10 years ago
    Geez I'm wondering the same.. I'm not doing a total remodel just updating & on the fence about changing the tile I currently have.

    So what is the order if I'm changing countertops from tile granite to slab quartzite ,painting cabinets, adding a backsplash, painting walls, new sink & faucet & possible replacing the tile flooring?

    Any help appreciated! Thanks
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Sorry folks....there are so many variables that it would be a forever project to answer to all of them. Painting cabinets goes BEFORE counter tops. Refinishing floors is just before wall and trim paint (paint is among the last things to do, along with finish electrical and finish plumbing). I install engineered flooring after cabinetry and cabinet repaints...I hate the damage that can be done as we mess about....which is why the hardwoods get refinished at the end. Face lift only? Demolition, cabinetry painting, counter tops, tile floors and back splashes (cabinet toe kick after), wall and trim painting, finish plumbing and electrical, appliance installation. This is my way of doing things....others have success doing their way.

  • 10 years ago

    And I'd demo everything before proceeding. Including the cabinets. There is very little return on value of getting rid of everything but them. The tile really needs to go under the cabinets, or you end up with trapped dishwasher syndrome and other clearance issues.

  • 10 years ago
    Don't think the cabinets need to be demolished. I would prefer not to spend 30k or more on more custom cabinets.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Sorry Sophie, I don't place tile under cabinets. That locks the tile in forever and styles change. Good cabinets can be painted or refinished or even have new doors and drawer fronts put on...but that special Moroccan tile someone liked 10 years ago is out of fashion now. We simply install the flooring into the dishwasher space (refrigerator too) and use the handy adjustable legs on the appliance to make it all happen. Clearance tolerances do need to be considered and good measurements require a good craftsperson.

  • 10 years ago

    We have installed new hardwood floors, sanded and applied first two coats of finish. Should we apply final coat before or after appliances are installed?


  • 9 years ago

    Hey guys, Great trail!!. Now a question. We're doing a full kitchen remodel, putting in Coretech plus vinyl plank flooring. Will put new cabinets in before flooring. Then do we need to put flooring in before countertop ( so there isn't a problem with removal of dishwasher at later date), then after flooring put in counter top with appliance hook ups? BTW: we live in Southwest Florida.

    Thanks!!

  • 8 years ago
    I’m using the same granite for counter and backsplash. The kitchen designer says he will place the electrical line to the hood behind the wall the DAY OF the granite counter and granite backsplash install. He doesn’t want to do any additional electrical work at the
    right now and wants to wait till when granite guy comes he’d unmount the hood and place electrical line in the wall so we don’t see it plugged into the outlet and then remount the hood after the granite backsplash is in. Is this feasible on same day or should I ask him to have all electrical inside walls prior to the day of granite install?
  • 8 years ago

    That is so hillbilly it isn't funny. Get a real electrician. I don’t touch electrical and your hack of a kitchen guy shouldn’t either.

  • 7 years ago

    my granite guys will fabricate on the spot at my house. (Cut the hole for sink). My question is; when does the cook top go on? Do I secure it before the granite fabricators? I will talk to them but just want to make sure they give me the right answe.

  • 7 years ago

    Sink holes should be cut at the shop. A cooktop can't even be mounted until the counter is in.

  • 7 years ago

    When they cut the hole for the sink, they should also cut the hole for the cooktop. Usqually, these two holes are cut at the shop, using templates for the sink and cooktop. My fabricators wanted the actual sink in addition to the the template. However, when I later remodeled my bathroom, they just used the templates.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio