Software
Houzz Logo Print
somehoser

Need help for my kitchen

9 years ago


This is the kitchen in the house we bought (house built in 1988, wood trimmed, contemporary colonial in CT) I just feel overall the kitchen is lacking something. I like the cabinets. Would like to spruce it up a bit without changing too much. What are some ideas you might have to revitalize? Color palette ideas around the dark wood cabinets (and possibly pinkish floor and counters)? Stainless steel appliances and cabinets will stay. All else could potentially go but interested to see what people say about floor and counter, which are both a pinkish color, but in fine shape. Thank you in advance!

Comments (10)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    that floor should go, but then thats a project that will consist of removing all the base cabinets.

    i suggest throw out the base cabinets and counter top, change the floor and buy new base cabinets and counter. to save money keep the wall cabinets on for now until later when budget allows.

    s v thanked create my cabinets
  • 9 years ago
    I think it's a great kitchen. I'd just paint the walls (maybe a nice off white) replace the sink and faucet with a single bowl stainless. I'd replace the curtain with a sleeker roman shade. The pendant light could maybe be a little livelier. New cabinet hardware and a longer cooler rug! Wouldn't break the bank but liven it up a little!
    s v thanked Anita
  • 9 years ago

    Changing out a tile floor can be expensive. One of my friends is currently looking into that and she is a little blown away by the cost - labor for tile removal and install is not cheap. I do think it is possible to change floor without removing cabinets - you would need a flooring guy to come in and assess if the floor is under the cabinets and if that can be dealt with. On the other hand, it is not that bad - a nice neutral and light color

    I think your cabinets really are pretty nice looking. My mother had a few of her cabinets that were showing wear refinished by a competent refinisher and they look just like the original - so that is a possibility if any cabinets look worn.

    I have a similar kitchen and refreshed with quartz counters, farmhouse sink and backsplash. The sink is a Kohler Whitehaven "short apron" style which can be installed on a standard sink base and I really like it - so easy to use and so big:)

    The sink was a little pricy, but since I had a functioning kitchen as you do, I just put off my refresh and saved up till I could afford it.

    Here is my kitchen:

    https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~58830325

    Here is another refresh of an older kitchen which was very nicely done and might inspire:

    http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/4512247/finally-finished-with-kitchen-updating

    s v thanked jhmarie
  • 9 years ago

    Consider painting BM Sharon Rose or Peaches 'n Cream. Replace some of the upper cabinet panels with glass. Change out window treatment with a roman shade in pattern with the peaches and cream/rose and cream colors. Also look for jute or sisal rug. A lantern style pendant light would be nice.

    s v thanked User
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Love Maureen's idea of the light marble + dark cabinets. You can also spruce it up with some of our cabinet hardware if you decide to upgrade the knobs/pulls.

    s v thanked Designer Drains
  • 9 years ago

    I was going to mention Vistas Interior Design's suggestion of glass fronts for some of the upper cabinets.

    s v thanked chloebud
  • 9 years ago

    I'm thinking of that 1950's classic pink and black or pink and charcoal. You could leave the floors and counter, painting the cabinets black or charcoal. Not sure about your window trim. Is that throughout the house?

    PINK от Little Greene, 2016 · More Info

    2-Quart Enamel Teakettle, Pink · More Info

    s v thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 9 years ago
    I can't tell by the one photo, but maybe you have room for a painted island.
    s v thanked annied75
  • 9 years ago
    Good bones. I'd do more substantial hardware, new window treatment, a pendant light that doesn't blend into window treatment, replace can lights with white trim, a longer comfort mat that doesn't match cabinet color, new faucet, new sink, paint that does not resemble the countertop color. If more budget, add new backsplash. If even more budget, add new countertops. Good luck!
    s v thanked simstress