Software
Houzz Logo Print
prockmrs

Granite countertop suggestions

13 years ago
I am redoing my kitchen with maple cabinets in a ginger snap with espresso glaze. I would love suggestions for countertop and backsplash. Imwill try to add an image. hope it works,

Comments (31)

  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    the doors are beautiful! I would do a white quartz countertop. It is a much "cleaner" look than granite, with less "movement.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks for suggestion. How does quartz hold up with much use. Also any backsplash suggestions with the quartz? I am also going to take picture of floor..which is not being changed. Do you think white quartz will go,with it?
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    What about delicatus granite? I love the milky off white color of it with the darker specks through it. An off white subway tile for the backsplash would look nice too. Seeing your floors are an off white color I wouldn't do anything that is pure white.
    Granite Countertops · More Info
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Quartz come in many colors and is hardy and ideal for kitchen use. Glass mosaic tiles for backsplash works well with quartz.
  • 13 years ago
    I appreciate your suggestions. I saw Ivory fantasy granite today. I liked , but have difficulty committing to a granite. I will check out the delicates granite. Please keep ideas coming.
  • 13 years ago
    With your cream color tile floor, you cannot use a white. Also, you should not choose a "busy" pattern. A granite you should look at is Sand Cream.
  • 13 years ago
    I want to hear more comments about quartz vs granite too. I put granite in my kitchen and love it. I like the natural stone look and feel over the artificial product of silestone/quartz. Also, friends who have been talked into quartz say that they wish they had granite. Why are designers talking up quartz so much? I am hearing from kitchen planners that quartz is to be preferred now. Please elaborate. Thanks.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks for your input, Brenda. I will check out the quartz as well . My floor is off white with some white veins... Will a white counter top be too bright?
  • 13 years ago
    Mountie, I looked up sand cream on line...could not find , Does it have another name? thanks
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Personally I love granite. I have quartz (caesarstone) in my kitchen and yes it looks very modern and clean and is very low maintenance, but I'm noticing little chips on the edges showing up. Not a huge problem but it has never happened with the granite I have had in the past. Also as jdmh pointed out I love how granite is a natural stone taken straight from the earth as opposed to an artificial product made with crushed rocks and resin. It really depends on the look you are going for though. Each to their own.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    WHAYEVER PRODUCT YOU CHOOSE, I WOULD LIKE TO SEE A HONED CHARCOAL WITH YOUR CABS. PREFERABLY CONCRETE.
    Charcoal Concrete Countertops · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    These would also be very beautiful with your cabinets and flooring
  • 13 years ago
    Visionaire1, thanks for your input. I like granite also. I am having such difficulty deciding on a color...I don't want the granite to be too busy for my kitchen.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    First let me say great photography on the door, finally somebody asked a question where we can see the product being talked about. While I agree with the thought of stepping into 2015 comment from Brenda, there are "Classic" Granite patterns that will stand the test of time. Much of what you see in homes today is Granite from China or the Cookie cutter Granite sold in Home Depot. What I like to use with your color cabinetry is Giallo Veneziano or Imperial gold, or a vyara Gold
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Another example with kitchen design, note strong contrast to kitchen flooring in slate.
  • 13 years ago
    I have had siltstone quartz composite countertops in my kitchen for 12 years, love it! I have one tiny chip around the sink, can't see it, but I can feel it, I think that happened with my creuset pot:( I have never had an issue with staining or anything else. I think it depends on what edge treatment you have, some more elaborate edges are more prone to chipping, mine is bullnose. Hope this helps.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Caesarstone Organic White is a lovely stone. It's not too stark, has some warmth. It will go very well with the floor you are keeping. In terms of durability, no problems. No sealing necessary, be careful with hot things on it for long periods of time and here's an inside tip, use Spray and Wash for food based stains like wine and coffee.. It's magic! BTW, Love the cabinet doors.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Hi darlenerunner, you're right. It's the edges that make all the difference. We have straight edges with a little chamfer on the top. I think bullnose would have been a better choice as the sharp edges are more prone to chipping.
  • 13 years ago
    I love the kitchen design in the picture. What granite is it? My counters are in. U shape..with a peninsula.... It is large but not huge by today's standards. I guess I am afraid to make a mistake.
  • 13 years ago
    My granite warehouse sells Caesarstone as well. I will get some samples tomorrow...and compare the look with my granite samples.... I never thought of quartz..but will consider now. I do good. And bake a lot..so counter need to be durable!
  • 13 years ago
    If you want to see a few more colors of stone, here is a link
    http://www.houzz.com/projects/111048/Granite--Marble--Quartzite--and-Soapstone-Colors
  • 13 years ago
    I just did a complete kitchen Reno and even though I knew granite had been around long enough to be on the verge of being "so yesterday" I found slabs that I loved. The key is to go to a professional, NOT a big box store. There is a HUGE difference.
  • 13 years ago
    What do you think about the matte granite look? I saw it for the first time today.
  • 13 years ago
    Btw....love your cabinet choice!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Love the matte look. I think it's called a leather finish. I've heard that it's very good for disguising spills compared to polished granite.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I think a lighter countertop will look beautiful with the darker cabinets.
  • 13 years ago
    I love this concrete countertop. It's matte, not too dark, and not quite as trendy as granite. If you wanted to do a shiny backsplash of some kind behind it, it'd be lovely.

    [houzz=
    Gray Concrete Kitchen Countertop · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Leather/river finish looks really good on some granites. You can use it as an accent on your island or peninsula while keeping the rest polished as it's not as great a work surface for kitchen.
  • 13 years ago
    Michelle, what is the counter top made of in your picture?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I think it is caesarstone or essastone.