Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
devonuk

CAMELLIA 'Shin-akebono'

devonuk
6 years ago

In the course of trying to identify a camellia, which I think is "Nobilissima", I came across photos of a similar looking camellia at https://www.burncoose.co.uk/site/plants.cfm?pl_id=850&fromplants=pl_id%3D675%26page%3D5.

Burncoose are highly authoritative - run by the Williams family as in C x williamsii - but everyone else on the internet thinks C 'Shin-akebono' is single-flowered, and pink. http://www.suncrestnurseries.com/plantdisplaypage.php?id=camejsa - and lots of other examples if you google for them.

Any views on who is right?

Comments (4)

• Vicissitudezz
    6 years ago

Here are the two entries from the pdf version of the International Camellia Society's Web Camellia Register:

Shin-akebono. Nuccio’s Nurseries Catalogue, 1948-1948, p.11. Synonym for Minagawa’s Akebono. Imported to USA by Domoto as Akebono but changed to ‘Shin-akebono’ (New Akebono) as ‘Akebono’ was already invalidly used for ‘Valentine’ (Akebono Pink). Orthographic errors: ‘Shino-Akebono’, ‘Shin-Ake’bono’.

Shin-Ake’bono. Burncoose & Southern Nursery Catalogue, 1985. Synonym for Akebono.

Both names are used as synonyms for two different varieties called 'Akebono'.

Here is the entry for the older camellia called Akebono:

Akebono. (Dawn)

(C.japonica)

Chinka Zufu, (before 1700), Watanabe, 1969, plate 40: A medium sized, open peony, white with irregular petals and intermixed stamens. Originated in Japan. (Believed extinct.)

Here is the entry for a later cultivar, also called Akebono:

Akebono. (Dawn)

(C.japonica)

Minagawa, 1931, Chinkashû; Wada, 1941, Japanese Garden Treasures, p.28: Single, widely opened, large flowers, very pale, flesh pink, slightly paler at edge and base, a leafy, compact grower; early blooming. Tuyama 1966, Camellia Cultivars of Japan, pl.98, p.166; Tuyama, 1968, Camellias of Japan, pl.84, p.111: Light pink, medium size, single, 6-8 petals, cupped form, large cylindrical stamen cluster, a little spreading, filaments light yellow. Early flowering. Introduced to USA where its translated name 'Dawn' was invalidly used as a synonym, causing confusion with the C.x vernalis Ginryu, which was also known as 'Dawn'. See 'Dawn' for details. In the USA the name 'Akebono' was given to another cultivar, originally listed as 'Akebono Pink'. The true Akebono was then given the synonym 'Shin-akebono' to distinguish it from the invalidly named 'Akebono'. For colour plates of the valid Akebono see: Encyclopedea of Camellias in Colour, vol.I, 1972, pl.43, p.52. Seibundô Shinkôsha, 1979, Senchinshû, p.9. Originated in Kyôto Prefecture, Japan. It is the seed parent of Showa-no-akebono. Chinese synonym: 'Fuxiaohong'. Resembles Tarô'an but flowers are larger and more widely open.

http://camellia.unipv.it/camelliadb2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=23&Itemid=36

The photo of the Burncoose camellia matches the description for the older Akebono, and it may or may not be the old variety. The ICS thinks the older camellia is "probably extinct", but they could be wrong.

At any rate, it seems that Burncoose and Suncrest are both right; they're just referring to different cultivars with way-too-similar names.

Cheers,

Virginia

devonuk thanked Vicissitudezz
  • devonuk
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you! I understand it means "new dawn" in Japanese.

• Vicissitudezz
    6 years ago

I don't speak Japanese, but I have the impression that 'shin' in this case means new, as in 'new and improved'. It's not the dawn that's new, but the 'Dawn' (plant).

Virginia

• devonuk
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sounds very possible, I don't know japanese either!

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz
More Discussions