Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
academic3

Need help with countertop decision!

Jannie Humphrey
6 years ago

Cabinets are installed, but I just can't decide on my countertops. My first thought was to put a lighter granite on the island and darker on perimeter and butler's pantry. Second thought is a lighter, whiter granite on all countertops. Third thought is one consistent light countertop on the kitchen and a contrasting black in the Butler's Pantry or should I go bold on the island and simple on all other counters? I want to tie everything together and don't want my countertops to seem disconnected, but love the idea of two toned countertops, but worried about it flowing nicely together. I also love soapstone and have consider that an option, I heard lots of negatives about this counter, but love the classic look.

I've included a few options that I've been looking at.
Any thoughts?
What ever I choose also has to compliment the fireplace in the kitchen area.

Comments (33)

• Sammy
    6 years ago

I would do soapstone everywhere, hands down! It's timeless, and, in my opinion, the finest countertop material there is. What negatives have you heard about it, btw?

• Jannie Humphrey
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Soapstone will scratch and knick, it must be sealed a lot at first, just higher maintenance issues
  • Sammy
    6 years ago

Soapstone requires no sealing, ever, because it's non-porous. And it won't be damaged by hot pots and pans.

• Jannie Humphrey
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    How does soapstone fair next to a cooktop that may splatter oil? Will it become splotchy from oil absorption?
  • PRO
    Jodie White Designs
    6 years ago

Are the floors already stained? Are you going to pick your tile after you have chosen the granite.

https://countertopinvestigator.com/soapstone-countertops/

I like the granite with movement for the perimeter and butlers area if these are my choices. Black for the island.

• simstress
    6 years ago
    It looks like you're doing 2 colors of cabinets. If so, do a single countertop for all.
  • PRO
    Raegan Ford Interior Design
    6 years ago

I love the dark charcoal counter top!

• PRO
    A1 Plus Stone Design inc
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I WOULD DO THE BLACK ON PERIMETERS AND EITHER FUSION OR THE GRAY AND WHITE ONE ON ISLAND

• User
    6 years ago

I like the one with all the veining

• printesa
    6 years ago

I would go with the first photo (gray stone). The second one is nice as well. I would probably not choose the third one since I would get bored of it pretty quickly

• leelee
    6 years ago

This one on all the surfaces. Less movement and will make the backsplash choice easier, maybe. Love the soapstone look.

• PRO
    Tracy Jones Broker at RE/MAX Excellence
    6 years ago

I like the second slab from the top. Looks understated and classy.

• anniebird
    6 years ago
    I think soapstone would look fabulous in your kitchen:)
  • leelee
    6 years ago

I don't think you need to change the counters from the island to the perimeters.

• PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    6 years ago

I would go with all soapstone. Fusion is beautiful, but way too busy and seems to clash with your fireplace.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

Soapstone. hands down. They used it in chemistry labs for centuries. how delicate can it be?? you oil it and it comes alive. with repeated oiling, it builds up a shield so spatters won't matter. I like the gray/gold movement one for the smaller area pantry. (the same that Jodie picked)

About The Material

Soapstone is a natural product quarried from the ground in blocks, like marble and granite. But unlike either of these stones, it’s non-porous, which makes it completely stain resistant. Soapstone is an inert material and impervious to chemicals, acids and heat — so there are no household products that will harm it. It’s durable like granite and marble, but it’s more forgiving under stress, soapstone has a tendency to dent rather than chip or crack. Soapstone is recognized by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a suitable surface material for contact with food.

http://vermontsoapstone.com/caring-for-soapstone/

• auntthelma
    6 years ago

The last one with the movement is stunning. That would be a show stopper. And look great with your fireplace.

The black or soapstone would be more subdued and classic.

The white with gray is my last choice. I would toss that out of the running.

• Ashley Anton
    6 years ago
    Soapstone everywhere!!! That would look amazing in your kitchen.
  • PRO
    Jodie White Designs
    6 years ago

Jannie, the soapstone is an amazing counter top surface. You have options but I agree as the whiter granite choices do not compliment the space. Your kitchen is going to be amazing so please post photos when it is completed. Best of luck and have fun with it.

• leelee
    6 years ago

Here's a great idea that you might still have time to do if you like...

Your electrical outlets are under the cabinets. No unsightly plugs on your beautiful new backsplash.

• PRO
    Mountain MT Homes LLC
    6 years ago

I do have to say the flooring is awesome! For the island I would do a lighter color ten the darker color for your main counter top around then a lighter backsplash.

Ken

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

"Any thoughts?"

Yes, your island spans too far without steel supports. Last paragraph of page 3, please.

• Jannie Humphrey
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Park Place at Silverleaf · More Info
    One of the houzz kitchen inspirations for my kitchen design

• Jannie Humphrey
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Steel supports in the island are planned for

• Jannie Humphrey
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Lake of the Isles · More Info
    another one I used for my kitchen design

• thinkdesignlive
    6 years ago
    Your inspiration shots show a lighter counter however I agree w others that said soapstone everywhere. So gorgeous and practical. It's hands down my favorite countertop and would really shine in your kitchen. Pls post after pics!
  • PRO
    Julia & Elizabeth
    6 years ago

I agree with the soapstone. All countertops had to be granite, now they all have to be quartz. There are other great stones that are durable and unique. I have the dreaded marble and I love it!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

" Soapstone is an inert material and impervious to chemicals, acids and heat — so there are no household products that will harm it. "

Spread some toilet bowl cleaner with hydrochloric acid in it on the soapstone, set the jug on top of it overnight, and get back to us, please.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

joseph, do you just love bird-dogging me or what? if you have a problem w/that quote, take it to the company in which I copied from and left the link to, below it. Perhaps they have a list of chemicals for you to peruse. pretty sure common sense would dictate that the home owner limits these chemicals to simple cleaners and such, not the chemicals used to make meth or replicate stomach acid.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

Beth H.:

The quote said "no" household products. It didn't say "most" or "some". In English, these are known as "qualifiers". I'm not "bird-dogging" you, I'm bird-dogging the inaccurate language unapologetically.

• Laura Mac
    6 years ago

Can you post photos of what you ended up with? ;-)