Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ssching28

Delicatus granite turning pink, need help!!

Steve C
6 years ago

I have Delicatus granite installed 1/2 year ago and it starts to have pink patches on the surface. Please help on how to stop this from spreading and how to remove this unknown stain?

We took this photo from a fellow houzz user (reference:

jadekb)

(as i didn't have picture of them), but it looks identical.

Comments (13)

• wacokid
    6 years ago

We have a similar granite and have some orange spots. I am not sure but I think they were already showing when we bought the granite. I do not mind them.

Kitchen · More Info

• steve ching
    6 years ago

When we picked the slab, they weren't there and I know they didn't switch slab because the pattern matches. My concern is this red patch will spread and get worse.

• PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

It's from iron deposits within the stone. 100% natural with all natural stones. 2 methods to draw out the pink, which doesn't always work but are the best that I have seen first hand. Miracle sealers sells a product called Poultice granite cleaner which is a paste that is spread onto the stone. You can also use baking soda to create a paste to spread onto the stone. These 2 pastes will draw the stain out of the stone. Depending upon the density of the stone, these methods don't always work 100% but they will help lighten the coloring.

Steve C thanked Cinar Interiors, Inc.
  • Steve C
    Original Author
    6 years ago

either of those method mix it with water to create a paste?? And then let it sit with a plastic covering??

• PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    6 years ago

Yes sir. No need to cover with plastic as you want the products to breathe properly.

• Steve C
    Original Author
    6 years ago

thanks...going to take a before and after picture once i am done with that. Also, is there a way to prevent it from happening? It was sealed with miracle sealer 511 back in Jan, but we do use soap and water to clean frequently (like 3-4 times a week).

• PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

No. Sealers help protect the stone making it easier to clean. They do not make them stain proof. Considering the iron deposits are within the stone, it could happen at any time. Use a cleaner made specifically to clean stone. Iron + moisture = rust

• steve ching
    6 years ago

Any recommendation for cleaner? For these light color granite.

• PRO
  • PRO
    Melling Gr
    6 years ago

Hey Steven, I am having the same problem with my Delicatus Granite. Did you ever figure out how to get the pink out? Thanks

• Steve C
    Original Author
    5 years ago

nope...i just accept it...i tried the paste method as suggest above, that didn't work...

• HU-727092373
    2 years ago

Hi! i had this going on with arctic ice granite. i posed my question in a decorating panel FB group and someone suggested using paper towel wetted with peroxide and Dawn. it seemed the least invasive method and id already tried the baking soda paste (which never ever works for me).. by morning, it was neon orange (yikes) but the paper towels were dry and pink. i repeated it on new towels and by lunch, the stain is lifted in parts where others spots are beige...ill try it again, then seal it. i have no idea how it happened. i dont splash as much as my husband, and his sude us ok. it might have been my contact solution that rested there.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor