Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccryer

What in the heck do I put in here?!

ccryer
6 years ago
We just moved into a new house and there is this tiny cabinet next to the sink. It's about 6 inches wide. My first thought was spices, but there is a separate pull out for spices. Maybe take out a divider and stand up my cutting boards?

Comments (19)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

Need to see more of the kitchen

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago
    Hi ccryer,
    Maybe it was used as a medicine/vitamin cabinet. I do like your idea though.
  • Carol Mullane
    6 years ago
    small appliances maybe....like a hand mixer or a small blender?
  • ccryer
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    These are the realtors photos. The kitchen is currently covered in moving boxes!
  • ccryer
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Oh- medicine and vitamins are a good idea!

I'm donating most of the really small appliances since I haven't been using them. My blender and kitchenaid mixer are out- so easy to use!
  • acm
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

We have something similar, and it sort of collect small oddments from the kitchen -- the vitamins, the couple of shot glasses for evening tippling, a heating pad we use for chest congestion, a rack of napkins we can pull out when we have informal company, the tupperware of special food for that one cat...

I'd wait and see what else occurs to you -- for example, depending on how you use the various counters, this might end up being handy for most-used baking stuff (salt, baking soda), or for small pesky sink accessories like drain fresheners or that scrubbie that only comes out for burned-on stuff, or your favorite set of family-only souvenir mugs. Or you could fill one shelf with plastic shopping bags, if you don't have a magical place to stow those, or plastic ware that's just for when the grandkids visit... etc. Storage spaces attract uses! :)

• janecalle
    6 years ago

Oh trust me. You'll find something to put in there! Give it a minute. Save the space until you discover what you need it for. Congrats on the new home! Lovely.

• lbk01
    6 years ago

In one house, I used a similar cabinet for kids (and pets) vitamines, aspirin, themometer, etc... as the kids usually found me in the kitchen or den to tell me they did not feel well; having those things close was convenient. In our current house (empty nesters), we use it for coffee mugs and water bottles. You'll figure out something and make good use of it. Congrats on the new house!

• PRO
    R - Design & Staging
    6 years ago
    What about rolled or folded kitchen towels? I also think the cutting board storage is a good idea.
  • Doreen Lynch
    6 years ago
    I have the same size cabinet in my butler pantry area. I put shot glasses etc. on there. Maybe you could put a glass cabinet door instead of solid, and put little decorative items in there??
  • felizlady
    6 years ago
    Do you use Costco size spice containers? They could go there. Or remove or adjust a shelf and make it the cereal cabinet, or keep your vases there. Cookbooks? Cutting boards storage is a good idea if they fit vertically. The goodies stash? You'll think of something. It's a pretty kitchen.
  • carladr
    6 years ago
    Band-aids, vitamins, hand soap refills or hand lotion
  • tallgrassdesign
    6 years ago
    Since we usually buy big containers of dishwasher tablets at Costco, I keep a smaller plastic container of them in the upper cabinet next to the sink. I'm old enough to appreciate not having to bend over to get them from under the sink once, sometimes twice a day.
  • btydrvn
    6 years ago
    Dry cereal boxes?..
  • btydrvn
    6 years ago
    Cookies?...crackers?...much depends on the depth of the cabinets...if they are regular depth small items will not be as accessible...if deep enough cutting boards are an excellent idea...anything that is big and light weight will make the best use of the space...you can manage a box of oatmeal from the top shelf...not so much a bunch of little items
  • Sue 430
    6 years ago

I have something similar, but worse because it's a triangle shaped cabinet on the end. I have a holder with vinegar, oil, salt and pepper, as well as a small spice rack that I used to keep on the counter. Salt and Pepper shakers, a little sugar dish and some butter dishes in there.

• functionthenlook
    6 years ago

Since it is next to the sink, I would use it for my tea towels and dish cloths.

• Lois Huneycutt
    6 years ago

I have always found, that when moving in to a new kitchen, it takes about a year for the kitchen to tell me how it wants to be used.