Software
Houzz Logo Print
samantha7975

Need help picking Antique Persian Rug for new house

8 years ago

Hi everyone! I am trying to decide on a few things and would love some opinions and thoughts on this. I *love* vintage Persian rugs and looking to put one in our living room under a (being built) custom sofa that will be a beautiful navy blue velvet - a very mid-century feel to it. There will be a gallery wall above with gold vintage frames.


The rug however has stumped me- Please let me know if you like 1 or 2 here. If you know any information on these like what to look for and if they are good quality please let me know too!

I am leaning towards #3 but there is some small damage on the side the seller says. Thoughts?

XO

Samantha




Comments (16)

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I don't see a third rug....but between the 2 you posted I personally love the first one best. I think it will be easiest to design around and yet create a very dramatic statement!

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I love Persian rugs too! I would go for option #1. The second rug's pattern seems too busy and not as classic, so I say go for the classic Persian design.

    Congrats on what sounds like a beautifully designed home!

    samantha7975 thanked User
  • 8 years ago
    I suggest you don't buy a rug that is on the thin side, it may always have a wrinkled look.
    samantha7975 thanked hummingalong2
  • 8 years ago
    Number one.

    You should check with Allison Trogdon on here and see her rug. It's gorgeous and she found it on eBay from a reputable seller she said.

    Personally, I know they are antique but I wouldn't want a rug that is damaged because what if you decide you want to put it under a dining table or in another room and then the damaged side might show so it wouldn't work. There's millions of these rugs out there.

    Another good source is ebth/everything but the house. They do online estate sales...they always have tons of these rugs.
    samantha7975 thanked Melissa Gallagher
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    One other place to check is Etsy.com (which was surprising to me). I just purchased one that I'm very pleased with. Came with stitched tag on back with location, date made, and material. Came from a legitimate seller who only deals in rugs.

  • 8 years ago

    I like the first one.

  • 8 years ago
    Etsy! Great idea!
  • 8 years ago

    Thank you everyone!

  • 8 years ago

    How about this one? Great vivid color



  • 8 years ago
    What are the main upholstery and wood colours in the space? The formality is also important, as some patterns are quite formal/symmetric while others are more relaxed.
  • 8 years ago

    To tell the truth these do not look like “antique” Persian rugs to me. Up until the turn of the 20th century Iranian rug makers only used vegetable dyes and the colors are not that vivid. The use of synthetic dyes began about 1900 and only became widespread in the 1930s. Are they saying what they are made of and where and when? Some dealers say a 50 year old rug is “antique” but many people who are looking to buy an antique rug are looking for vegetable-dyed hand-knotted rugs.

  • 8 years ago
    I have to agree Lois. My rugs have a more muted palette. I would keep looking and try other dealers. They will usually allow you to bring them home to view on site for approval. Try to get as much info as possible and you may want to wait until you get your sofa delivered.
  • 8 years ago

    They did some really unusual colors with synthetic dyes in the mid-twentieth century so they could possibly be sixty years old or so. Are they saying the rugs are cotton on wool?

  • 8 years ago
    I love oriental rugs . It will look great with your blue sofa . I would pick a rug without central medallion. Something with more geometric pattern
  • 8 years ago
    Agree that neither of these look “antique”, but in any case here are my comments: 1. Wait til you get the sofa before buying the rug. 2. No medallion patterns...trust me on this....it will drive you batty because unless you get it just right, something will be off center, too far away, too close, etc etc.
    I’m a rug junkie....have 7of them in a 3 br condo...and they each took months of looking for just the perfect one. When you find it, it will give you pleasure for the rest of your life, so be patient.
    And good luck!
Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH