Software
Houzz Logo Print
amber_d22

Oh no!! Tile off centered?

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

So in the process of getting shower tiled.. the tile is off centered in the shower!! When I asked tiler about it he says it is centered with where the tile will be on the wall (which is about where the mudding ends next to the window) not the where the shower glass will be because, he explained, the glass will make it look like one big mosaic so it's best to center on wall and not shower./ . Im having a hard time visualizing this as all I see is that the mosaic is too far to the left. What do you think? Is the tiler right? Should it be centered with the wall tile or centered with the shower curb?


as is it bothers me a lot but perhaps when the rest of the tile is in it will look better?


thoughts?


Comments (21)

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I started to doubt my opinion. Keep the thoughts coming! I need all the ammo I can get.

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    You don't need ammo. You write the check, the check is the AMMO. Move the darn thing to center on the shower FlOOR PAN, inside the curb,. or leave, and go with no money: )

    Amber D thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Yes needs to be centered on the shower. I wonder why the tile extends so far past the curb, of course I can't see the rest of the bath.
  • 8 years ago

    You're right. It should be centered on the shower. Once the door frame is in that space on the left will be visually smaller and it will look even more off-center, as though the mosaic is smushed right up against the glass.

  • 8 years ago

    Someone measured incorrectly....

    On the bright side, at least you caught it now.

    Amber D thanked User
  • 8 years ago

    Yes! It will have dried by now but at least it's not grouted. :)

  • 8 years ago

    Huh? I do think the accent should be centered on the shower pan, but I think when it is, it will be weird because the accent is too wide and you will end up with a tiny strip of field tile on the right. What kind of enclosure are you using? Can you post a picture of it? You might be better off just doing the whole shower with the mosaic instead of framing it.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    It will be a 90 degree glass enclosure. The shower ended up having to be smaller than we anticipated, and I don't think the contractor let the tiler know to change the dimensions of the accent, so yes the accent tile ended up too wide. I'm thinking they may need to narrow the mosaic on the left to center it on the pan. this would save them from having to retile the whole thing and make it more narrow at the same time. But it really isn't a good situation one way or the other.

  • 8 years ago

    I just want to say that there is FINALLY a post where someone did the waterproofing correctly!

    Take off a few tiles to the left and you’re good.

    Amber D thanked User
  • 8 years ago

    Hooray! Glad they got something right. Haha! This has been a crazy ride!!

  • 8 years ago

    Sorry but I think its more than a few tiles on the left to get it centered. How wide is the field tile? If its 4", you will need to move the pencil frame over about 6" and then you end up with a puny little accent strip.

    Amber D thanked suzyq53
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    3x 6 size. Seems it is about 6 inches too far to the left or I could widen on the right but then I think it will be too wide.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    your tile guy doesn't want to have to remove and redo that, that's why he's saying it's fine! It's not. either remove from the left, or add a few rows on the right.

    btw,,tell dumbo tile guy, when you're standing in there taking a shower, everything should be on center INSIDE, where you're looking at it. with the glass up, it will block it off and look 10X worse off center. At least he's doing a decent tile job.

  • 8 years ago

    So more like 8" off on the left. Where does the glass enclosure meet the curb, at the outside edge?

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Glass goes in the Middle of the curb.. wishing I could just make the shower larger to accommodate.

  • 8 years ago

    If you keep the frame, I think you will have to remove on the left AND add on the right to get it centered.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Makes sense. I'll talk to contractor and tiler and figure it out. Glad I asked!! I almost believed the guy!

  • 8 years ago
    My opinion ... just do the whole shower wall in the mosaic rather than trying to get it centered, and you'll only have to remove some tile.
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I was going to say the same thing as RS. just do the entire front wall w/the mosaic tile. since it's a small area, doing the feature is somewhat wasted. The feature square is too big to begin with. Should have been narrower and shorter for an accent. makes no sense to have two rows of subway tile around it. just do the entire wall!

    Amber D thanked Beth H. :
  • 8 years ago

    That's what I said. I'd do the right wall mosaic too. To be clear, I would do the entire shower mosaic or all field tile.

    Amber D thanked suzyq53