Software
Houzz Logo Print
potap

Kitchen window advice

8 years ago

I plan to have a kitchen with open shelving on one wall. I will build sturdy floating shelves to store bigger stuff like my Dutch ovens, Vitamix or mixing bowls. On the left side of the sink, I will store glassware, stemware, mugs, cups... I prefer to keep dust away so I will use wall cabinets for this.


My problem is that I don't know what to do with the window above the kitchen sink!?!?!


I will have about 5" of space between the window and the edge of the wall cabinet. If I extend the window up to 5" from the shelves, it will be symmetrical from this point but the sink won't be centered with the window (image 1).


If I go with a smaller window centered with the sink, I will have a lot more wall space on the right side of the window (image 2). Would it look odd if left empty? Should I go with corner shelves? Different wall storage?


I could also divide the window in 3 equal parts and put the sink in the middle of the first 2 parts on the left (image 3). I tend to prefer this option but I am not sure it will look great in a real kitchen.


What do you think?


Thanks a lot!


Here are the tests I made with IKEA's kitchen planner :

2)

3)


Comments (12)