Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmpadrnos

Christmas overload or is this okay ?

Michelle Padrnos
6 years ago
Navy walls, I think I love the garland .. but not 100% ... wondering if it is all just too much .

Comments (37)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

Not really the right location for the garland. Do you have a fireplace mantel? Maybe around a doorway.

• Michelle Padrnos
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    We also have some around mantle... so I am not crazy ... it is excessive !?!
  • Linda
    6 years ago
    Yes and it doesn’t look good on you he wall.
  • Anne Duke
    6 years ago
    I’d swag it bit and use it to frame the Christmas pictures.
  • LYDIA DILLAMAN
    6 years ago
    I think it's just a little too much with the other Christmas stuff going on. But it would look good over a mantel or a door.
  • tatts
    6 years ago

It's so fake! And it should not be floating up at the ceiling like that.

• northseeker
    6 years ago
    Personally, I think the Holidays are made for decoration overload. I like it. Looks great against that wall color.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

If jailing people for xmas overload were possible, most folks would be behind bars. You asked, so what do you think: ) ?

But. It's a month of whatever. I no longer pay any attention to any of it. I revel in the fact it goes away in January. I like simple overload CONFINED. I concede for most it is overload any and every place that will hold it lol. Just one reason "Christmas is for Kids" Taste not required. lol.

• shirlpp
    6 years ago

I'd remove everything under the garland and put in a big fat over the top wreath!

• K Laurence
    6 years ago

As a “ less is more “ person , year around, I love to see Christmas “overload “, I agree with Jan: “ Christmas is for kids” , taste not required. That’s why I ditched all of my “ tasteful “ white lights this year & replaced with multicolored lighting ... not as elegant looking but the children in our extended family & neighborhood love it.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

For the MOST sensational and thrilling tree for kids? ( for adults too! ) LAYER the colored lights over "all white". The color will be magnified, the tree far, far brighter. It is pretty darn astounding actually.

A ten foot tree with 800 white lights and 800 in colors will blow your mind. Just sayin....: ) I do this for clients and the never fail response is "OMG..., how did you get the tree to look like that?!" Even die hard fans of white love it as it avoids the white glare, is somehow incredibly cozy and bright at the same time, with absulutely juicy color. First time I did it, I couldn't believe how much I loved it.

And skip the led please. I beg you skip the led.

• K Laurence
    6 years ago

Great idea, will add the white to the colored today :) !

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

You want the white as the FIRST layer, tuck well inside too!! FOR DEPTH AND GLOW. Have fun : )

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 years ago

Hey..as long as you remove the decorations by Valentine’s Day, you are good to go.

Last year a neighbor left the wreath on the door until Easter Sunday.

Love the black walls. Just did black for a client in her dining room.

• PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    6 years ago

if it doesn't look like Clark Griswold's house, you can still go farther. It's one month a year, go big or go home.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

lol...lol

• PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    6 years ago

Jan, you should see Halloween here. 8 hours of setup, 4-6 zombies, a full graveyard...

• marylut
    6 years ago
    Can you make that garland into a round wreath shape and keep it on the wall? Then put it in middle of wall with some wall hangings to left and right of it so they are balanced. Or put wreath on left side of wall and group wall hangings on right side. And instead of “stair stepping” your wall hangings, rearrange them so they fit into a square or rectangle shape, or even a triangle like a tree?
  • PRO
    Capital Construction Contracting Inc.
    6 years ago

Its Christmas, and your decor is all about personal preference. its not a fixed piece in your home for years to come, its only 1 month of the year. Enjoy and have fun with it:)

• MCG G910
    6 years ago

I always shoot for Martha on Halloween but wind up going full-out-Grizzwolds. It happens. We also used to get carloads of families that would drive to our house specifically to check everything out while Trick or Treating. If you love Christmas, have at it and have fun!

• auntthelma
    6 years ago

I like the flocking against the blue wall. I might swag it to make it more interesting, but I love the color.

And there is no such thing as "too much" when it comes to Christmas decorations!

• chloebud
    6 years ago

Jan, I'm a white lights girl, but your "white first/colors over" sounds great! Just wish I could snap my fingers and have the tree lights done. NOT my favorite thing to do.

• K Laurence
    6 years ago

Well .... my living room tree already has the white lights on, thanks to Jan I will be adding the colored to it today. I can’t wait to see the results!

• kathy_merritt1
    6 years ago

I always do all white lights, Jan thanks for the idea, next year I am doing that!

• chloebud
    6 years ago

K Laurence, take a pic of it for us!

White lights vs colored made me think of something a neighbor of ours would do for her outside lights. She'd take larger colored lights then twist a strand of mini twinkling white lights around them. The result along the roofline was very pretty.

• User
    6 years ago

Jan can you show a pic??

• Anne Duke
    6 years ago
    When I was still doing real trees, I’d do as Jan suggested. I wrapped the trunk and the branches a few inches out from the trunk in white lights and then did the rest of the tree in colored. The technique blows out the tree and makes it look bigger. Very effective.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

@ penny

I don't have a pic ! Just trust me you will NOT be disappointed!!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

@klawrence

lol bet it blows your mind! Let us all know!! And it's been four hours! Shake a leg and let us all know!

• User
    6 years ago

Putting the lights on is, to me, the worst part. I pretty much just shove them in there (why oh why do they not make lights that are closer together than 5 or so inches??).

Sorry for the threadjack, OP..

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

Second tip: Picture star shaped cookies STACKED . That's how you do lights. Yes, in and out and in and out, start at the top and work your way down. Just one reason a tree takes MORE at the bottom than it does at the top.

LIghts and ornaments inside !!! the tree give it depth and dimension. Ugly ornaments to backside and inside: )

• tatts
    6 years ago

Glad to see somebody likes lights, Jan. I mix white and amber and it glows like candles--bright but warm. 1,400 lights on a fraser fir--always a fraser fir because they have great space to let the ornaments hang inside.

It is a HUGE pain in the keyster to decorate (one evening for the lights--wrapping all the branches--and one for the ornaments), but it's a swell tree.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

Where the heck is K Laurence? Did hubby have a colored light hissy fit or something? She fell off the ladder stringing colored over white?!!! yoooooooo hoooooooooooo??

• chloebud
    6 years ago

I bet the tree looks so good she can't leave it. :-)

• K Laurence
    6 years ago

Lol ... been out of town. I put it on my “to do” list since all my ornaments were already on the tree with white lights ... I just know I’d be breaking more glass ornaments if I messed with it anymore , I broke two decorating that tree, klutzy! but next year definitely... it will be called the “Jan” tree. :)

• chloebud
    6 years ago

K Laurence, that makes two of us breaking two glass ornaments. I managed to drop and shatter a couple of my most favorites this week. :-(