Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zgdia17

Paint color?

Diane Zegar
10 years ago
I need to update my dining space. Should I put wainscoting. Ideas for paint color would be helpful! I also need help with accessories and window ideas. Thank you!

Comments (31)

• User
    10 years ago
    I like the idea of wainscoting to define the area more and make your furniture stand out. I would lower the chandelier and consider swapping it out for something black or iron.
  • elcieg
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Your dining room looks very nice. I like your furniture and your chandelier. Having your paint color flow from one room to the other works well.

Take everything off the wall and the sideboard and remove your window treatments.

Lower the chandelier to 36" above the table top.

Paint the ceiling a pale blue.

Hang a mirror over the sideboard…a little larger than the picture that is there now.

Find a fabric which you love and have panels made for your window and a coordinating fabric for your chair seats.
    Portfolio Latika Delta Fabric · More Info

Gilt Minimalist Mirror · More Info
  • User
    10 years ago
    Love the blue ceiling idea judyg!
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    About this one

Old Town Alexandria,VA. · More Info

Wellington Hand Tufted Rug · More Info
    ]

to complete a medallion
    Ceiling Medallions · More Info
  • Diane Zegar
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you everybody for such wonderful ideas you've inspired me! I like the idea of lowering the chandelier and swapping it out and I love the idea of the blue ceilings and the a lot of thinking to do! I think I'm going to go ahead with the wainscoting blue ceiling swap out the chandelier what color for above the wainscoting to think? The wainscoting will be white
  • Diane Zegar
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @judyg All of your ideas are great! I love the fabric in the mirror! Thank you so much!
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    I like the Wedgewood gray suggested above, or you could use an equally powdery shade of green. The attached bathroom photos shows some pretty tile colors that work well with light wood where you might find more color inspiration.
    Ross Lodge · More Info
  • Mary
    10 years ago
    Your table looks like it needs to be turned, the long way/ and if those are vertical blinds, I'd get rid of them and use curtains.Change the rug, and use color there, then put some fresh flowers on the table. Maybe Crown Molding also.
  • PRO
    MERIT HOMES
    10 years ago
    I would add crown molding and change the veritical blinds to drapes. I do like your paint color, would leave that
  • PRO
    White Lotus Feng Shui & Interior Design
    10 years ago
    I agree with @Merit Homes....add a crown and remove the vertical blinds, along with that heavy valance. Hang sheers or semi-sheers floor to ceiling, and at least 6" on either side of the window frame. The wall color is working with the rest of the house, but if you want an accent wall behind the buffet, use a color that's a couple of shades darker or introduce another color of your choice that's used in the other areas of the house for continuity. The chandelier should be from 30-36" above the table top.
  • daarnold05
    10 years ago
    Turn the table and put the buffet opposite the window. This will give you a nice focal point to see when you come in the front door. I would paint the walls, but use the money that you would've spent on wainscoting for molding to do something in your foyer on the blank wall near the landing upstairs. And finish off the cased opening going into the dining room and the hallway going under the landing. I think I would paint the baseboard. It's the same color as the floor and is making the walls seem short. I would keep the ceiling and walls the same color. The cornice board is also making the ceiling seem low. Just use two panels on each side of the window. Paint your railing on your stairs white too and put a seagrass rug in the foyer. http://naturalarearugs.com/# You can get custom sizes here too. Consider a runner. I'd do away with the medallion and find something that is white or glass so that it doesn't take up any visual space. That way it doesn't make the ceiling seem so low. I like the furniture. You could put updated fabric on the seats.
  • PRO
    Drapery and Home Makeover by Carlos Oliveira
    10 years ago
    Based on your classic style I would suggest you to add crown molding and maybe some trim panelling work, painting the ceiling and trims in the same color and walls on a contrast, same shade of color.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Wainscoting would add interest. Are you keeping all furn? A new area rug in a color with design would change the room. Maybe new seats. Art is nice wall color ok.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    New chandelier, no gold. More crystals. Scones to far from pic move in allow 3" from pic side to scones. I like the idea of turning table and putting Buffett on other wall. Instead of art a large sunburst mirror. Z Galleries has a nice large one.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Remove small scones on other wall too small.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Light over table 36" from top of table. Yours looks too high.
  • Anna-Lisa
    10 years ago
    Crown moulding would really finish off the room
  • jimmythegreek
    10 years ago
    yes mouildings and where ther bureau and picture are...put a fire place and change the light as for colour taupe.
  • Diane Zegar
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you everybody I am overwhelmed such great advice! I'm going to try moving the table and the buffet and I already planned on changing out the chandelier with you guys think Of a drum with Crystals?@daarnold Thanks for some good advice what do you think I should do with the space above the dining room? Those are shears on the window I need them can I just had panel? We have to paint the dining room living room and foyer so that's what I thought I would change the color it's been 13 years with the same color. And we plan on changing the Baseboards throughout the house to white and a little wider but not to wide because we have 8 foot ceiling. The carpet is permanent should I put an area rug on top of it or change the permanent carpeting? Everybody's help is greatly appreciate!!!
  • Marta St_John_Anders
    10 years ago
    Lots of good ideas already! I like the idea of a mirror where the picture hangs of the sideboard so that instead of looking through the chandelier to see the picture, you are getting reflection, adding light and sparkle. I think the room needs a bit more sparkle in metal or glass accents. I think wainscoting might make the ceiling look even lower. I would go with a not too large crown molding in white/cream, paint or replace the medallion with white/cream, and proceed with the plan for white/cream baseboard. I like the carpet. Look elsewhere on houzz - there are some great tips on using black to define a room that I think would work well for you.
  • PRO
    Tricia Heliker
    10 years ago
    I read thru all the previous comments and here are the ones I strongly agree with. First turn the table and replace the chandelier hanging it lower as well. No to wainscoting in that it will make the ceiling look lower. Yes to crown molding. I second removing the vertical blinds. A really impressive mirror over the buffet that is the focal point of the room. Changing out the rug to something with more color and then choosing a color for the walls that compliments the rug. Drapery panels on either side of the window hung high on the wall to give the illusion of height.
  • PRO
    Beth McCulloch Home Decorating Services
    10 years ago
    I feel that the painting over the buffet is too high. Perhaps something that is more horizontal could be hung lower.You might be able to swap with the painting shown on the other wall...but I cant be sure by these photos.
  • Diane Zegar
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I am going to take the advice of some of the people and turn my table around and get a new light fixture and move the credenza to the other wall and I plan on shopping for a new mirror round to put above the credenza. Any thoughts on a new chandelier? I was thinking a drum chandelier with crystals
  • Diane Zegar
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    That carpet is tacked down. A couple of people mentioned about getting an area rug I don't think that will look good on top of that carpet I think I have to get color from the drapery panels and possibly changing the seat fabric on the chairs
  • mallowskahen
    10 years ago
    Your dining room needs crown molding and a new chandelier for starters. The brass is very dated looking. Try painting it a deeper taupe too.
  • Diane Zegar
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes I definitely need crown moulding and a new chandelier. I am going to get a round mirror for over the credenza and lower the new light fixture, thanks to all of the great suggestions. It is very dated right now but I Am hoping to change that!
  • bestideasever4u
    10 years ago
    Loose the rug and pictures, go buy some real artwork from an actual artist this summer at the local art stroll. Get rid of the vases and fake sconces put up real lighting if needed and keep real flowers on the credenza they will make you smile and if you get them at a florist will last 2 weeks at a clip.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    I like the drum style chandeliers.
  • judrand05
    6 years ago

I think a paint color that matches or a couple shades lighter than your dining set would be beautiful and keep it flowing rather than chopped up with a big block of contrasting color. The other option would be to use that same rich beige with a lighter navy (big this year) design - abstract rather than floral or a sophisticated stripe would be lovely.