Software
Houzz Logo Print
magtop

Making more usable space in our closet

13 years ago
We have one of those long, rectangular, double sliding door closets that are so badly designed for functional usage of the space in there. They are 2 ft deep by 12 ft long and the door opening is only 70" so there's about 3ft of "buried" space on each end that is almost impossible to access without being a contortionist. Any geniuses out there with suggestions? :-)

Comments (15)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Wardrobe closets can be extremely functional and actually provide more "hanging" space than most walk-in closets! The key as you noted is "access"!! My house is 12' long wardrobe closets for the girls, I did two pair of 5' wide bi-pass doors for easy access! Important to make sure you can add doors without messing up the wall space for furnishing the room (dressers/desk, etc) also, structural issues need to be addressed prior to knocking down walls!!
  • 13 years ago
    Put shelves across the 3-foot sides, about the depth of a storage bin. Use storage bins for out of season clothes and miscellaneous. While you are at it, see if you can install a light in the closet, too.

    When I clean out a closet once or twice a year, I get out a donation bag before I take everything out. Having at least a third of the closet empty helps a lot.

    If you keep out of season clothes in your closet, you can either put them in cheap garment bags or cover them with a sheet to keep the dust off.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks Kevin and you're right about the furniture and wall space issue. As for the suggestions to clean out and/or store away seasonal clothing we already do that. All seasonal clothing is in another storage closet and I clean the closet twice a year with the change of season updates. I like the storage bin idea but access is still the issue!! May just have to "add" a closet by almost putting another room on... Hmm, any suggestions how to get my husband on board with that idea?? Thanks everyone for your help!!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Maybe negotiate a Garage "Shop" area then move for a bigger closet? IDK, that worked on me! Good luck with this!!
  • 13 years ago
    You are already efficient in clothes storage, I see. How about remaking the closet opening so that you have two openings, each five feet wide with a one-foot separation in the middle? Then get two hinged doors for each side so you can open them completely.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Yes two pair of "swing" doors can work if no impact on furniture! I did two pair of "bi-pass" doors because closet is close to bed and night stands!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    BTW, "Fathers Day" is coming up! I think your stars will align if you play it right! (see my post above)!!
  • 13 years ago
    @Kevin Patrick O'Brien...Could u please take a look at a discussion thread.."I need a second pair of eyes"...(sorry I cannot paste link)...they need a lot of help & I cannot decipher most of it. I know u can help. Thanks!!
  • 13 years ago
    This is the link to the discussion 'I need a second pair of eyes':

    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/i-need-a-second-pair-of-eyes-dsvw-vd~509461
  • 13 years ago
    I am not sure how efficient is this for you but if you don't have that many long garments, what I suggest is:

    Reserve 24 in. for long garments in the center of your closet, hang 25 in. of short garmentson each side of the long garments. It should leave you with about 35 in. on each side where you could have storage on wheels which you should be able to roll since you will have 25 in. of short garment to roll you storage under.
  • 13 years ago
    Suzanne_m's rolling closet storage idea is brilliant.
  • 13 years ago
    I was re-reading my comment that apple_pie_order and Kevin liked. I really should re-read my comment carefully before I submit it. Sometimes, I forget words or make typos that turn-out like 'to roll you storage under' lol. I meant to write 'to roll your storage under'.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    @suzanne, no worries ! I knew what you were talking about! BTW, I hit "submit" prior to reading my post all the time! Usually in working via iPhone so typos common when moving fast with an idea!!! It's all good...
  • 13 years ago
    Typos are always understood and thank goodness for our occasional flubs... apple_pie_order was right on; Suzanne, your rolling storage idea is very clever and now my husband is getting on board with all these suggestions so I think the project has been given the green light. We've reached a compromise on the "shop" area Kevin suggested and we'll be doing a musical "gear" corner since my husband owns 3 upright bass guitars, 3 electrics, 2 keyboards and enough other equipment to fill the entire garage! Again, thanks all for the input. Will post whenever we get the job done....