Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linzita512

Fabricator rounded corners on eased edge counters

linzita512
6 years ago

Countertops throughout our new build were installed, and all the corners have a 1" radius, which was a disappointing surprise. We were firm on wanting an eased edge and expected to see one as we have in our current kitchen, with eased corners also. Today I'm told "well that's what we always do...." where this was never discussed. Yet another frustration, I'm about to reach my breaking point. They are offering to "trim down to 1/2" radius" but I'm not sure this will satisfy me or not. Am I unreasonable to want them to redo all?

Comments (26)

• flopsycat1
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Not unreasonable at all. I requested eased edges for all countertops because of the more modern, clean appearance. When one vanity countertop arrived with a bullnose edge, the fabricators admitted their error and replaced it. Do you have a written contract that specifies your preference?

• PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago

Did you provide clear written instructions, or did you expect them to read your mind?

• linzita512
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I was unaware I needed to specify corners as well. I thought eased edge meant ALL edges eased. Not eased edges with rounded corners. That seems like a big assumption. If they treated the two areas differently, I feel they should have asked me.

• millworkman
    6 years ago

Were there drawings showing the cabinet & appliance layout with tops for your approval? I assume this means you were not at the templating? Is this a spec or tract home?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 years ago

What is an "eased edge"?

• bossyvossy
    6 years ago

Same ?

• linzita512
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Its a custom home. We saw some hand drawn drawings on graph paper with measurements only and we were on site to draw on slabs where cuts would be made. No discussion on corners.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 years ago

???

You had a house built based on "some hand drawn drawings on graph paper"??

• linzita512
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Just the countertop cut dimensions. I'm painfully aware now the level of professionals we are dealing with. Feeling nauseous.

• ILoveRed
    6 years ago

Is this an eased edge with rounded corner? Do you think the 90 degree corner is more desirable?

i had this in my last house around my farmsink and it never occurred to me to do it any other way. I certainly wasn't asked by the fabricator. I rather like the look.

im sorry you are disappointed. Hang in there. BAH is a PIA.

linzita512 thanked ILoveRed
  • User
    6 years ago

The ONLY way to get a sharp corner is to have a French miter seam there. Any counter that turns a 90, is required to have a radius to prevent breakage.

construction · More Info

construction · More Info

Any other methodology of doing sharp corners will result in cracks when the cabinets settle. The French miter eases the stresses. You may still get some shifting if the two sections as the House dries out and settled, but the stone won’t crack.

• hummingalong2
    6 years ago
    Can you post a picture of your corners?
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

linzita512:

Are you speaking about inside corners or outside corners, please?

• catbuilder
    6 years ago

Edges and corners are two different things. Yes, you are being unreasonable to expect them to replace the counters for that reason.

• Godswood
    6 years ago

When you have a vision on something in your build, do not assume anybody else has that same vision, even the smallest most miniscule details. If your vision is not voiced and written you will get the visions of others.

• vinmarks
    6 years ago

When I met with the granite guy for our build I brought pictures of what I wanted. I wasn't up on all the terminology and I wanted to make sure when I said I wanted eased edge that what they called eased edge matched my vision. I brought pictures of edges, inside and outside corners and specified reveals for sinks. A few things went haywire on our build the granite wasn't one of them. Well except for the powder room where the sink was not suppose to be centered within the cabinet but shifted to left. My builder dropped the ball on that but they redid the countertop

• flopsycat1
    6 years ago

Now I’m confused. Were the edges eased, just not the corners?

• R S
    6 years ago

Post pics so everyone can see what your issue is ... I had my edges "eased" and discussed not having sharp corners that would cut my kids who will invariably run into them. We settled on not having a sharp corner, slightly dulled (but not rounded, still square).

• B Mac
    6 years ago

Ugh. That's frustrating but it sounds like so many things we've run up against in our build. If it wasn't called out specifically, it isn't reasonable for them to read your mind (unfortunately).

Certainly redoing the counter entirely doesn't seem like a fair request to me. Sorry. :(

• B Mac
    6 years ago

I'm looking at this: http://granite-tops.com/select-radius-corners and it seems 1/2" would be a big step towards the look you were hoping to achieve. I think we'll go with 1/4" and I'm soooo glad you shared your (painful) experience because I'll know to specify corners as well as edges when we template next week.

• Erin
    6 years ago
    This EXACT situation happened to me when we built three years ago. Asked for eased edge and expected squared corners; received rounded corners. I was so disappointed and upset. To be honest though- it no longer bothers me. Building can be very overwhelming and all encompassing. The small details can seem like the end of the world when everything is so expensive and seems so final.
  • Nidnay
    6 years ago

vinmarks....I found out that even with pictures, it is still open to interpretation. I’ve shown pictures galore, and ultimately what the trades see in the picture is different from what I see...maddening.

• vinmarks
    6 years ago

nidnay it is crazy. Just from reading on this site what others had gone through I wanted to make sure I got what I envisioned. I went with pictures and the granite guy showed me a sample of what their eased edge would look like and it looked like what I wanted so we were good there. I said I wanted inside corners that were 90 degrees and outside corners that were 90 degree but slightly eased. Gave them pictures. I hoped for the best. Not much else I could do to express what my vision was. Luckily it turned out how I envisioned it would look. But you are right even with pictures sometimes things are interpreted differently.

• Shredder
    6 years ago

Yes, this can be an issue. Sometimes the fabricator "forgets" to ask and then just makes it like they "always" do. Some edges require additional fees. My thought is that unless you want to completely refabricate the counters, you may have to live with the edges. Disappointing for sure!

• Colleen K
    last year

Old thread but this happened to me too. The comments from the “professionals” here are quite snarky, but even if my assumption was wrong that the corner would be straighter, I approved a cardboard template and the corner was straight. The sink radius is rounder than the sink specifications also.

Glad they fixed it for you. I will find out this morning if mine will be fixed.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville