Software
Houzz Logo Print
godswood

Artwork placement thoughts

8 years ago

I just moved in to my new build and am in the process of decorating. I miffed from a pretty traditional verging on transitional contemporary to my transitional modern home. Some of my furnishings were able to make the cross over and some will slowly need to be phased out.


After building I am really struggling with putting holes in the walls to hang artwork. I want the placements to be right the first go around.


I am currently looking for large scale abstract canvases in blacks, greys, oranges, and/or purples. Of course, other colors are welcome (except red and yellow). I also need a coffee table. I currently have a concrete end table for between the two couches, very traditional brown/mahogany leather sofas for the upstairs den (I hope to find new main level living room furniture in the near future (I just had time to look, perhaps next winter) and move the existing living room furniture upstairs and gift the leather couches to a brother). I need bedside end tables and also a new bed frame eventually as my existing bed feels too traditional. I have an entry table but will need to decorate it.


I like abstract, bright, minimalistic yet powerful art and currently have a blank slate.


Measurements at end of post.


What are your artwork and furniture suggestions and locations for my space?


From stair landing looking towards front door. Dining table will be under the light at the far right. I plan to place entry table on long wall to left of front door and closet door. Next door is to my office, then next door is to guest bath and laundry and mechanical. Far wall to right of front door is 18' high. I would love a giant art of some kind here. I also need coffee table, lamps for side tables, and 1 more side table.


I was thinking about making something like this for entire wall:


This is a view from dining area/ front door to kitchen:


Under the stairs 2nd landing I plan to put my record player and albums. The 2nd landing is 7' high and it's a neat space. The space between the walls and tall column is 35" on both sides. How else should I decorate it? I currently do not have a record console either.


View of 2nd level living room / den where the leather sofas will go. TV and console on wall to the right. On far right where the cut out is, there will be a ladder to 3rd floor loft space. Accent paint color is a dusty grey purple. Art suggestions?


2nd floor den, future ladder on left side. In this room I'd like to also put in a game/puzzle table.


Looking back at den from master suite. I would like to decorate this hall somehow. Suggestions?


Master suite from hall, French doors to deck, door in middle is to closet. Art above bed? Art between closet and French doors? If I put the hexagon art up the dining room wall, it will be visible in this space. I have a chaise lounger that goes in the carpet indentation on front right. There will be a hanging bedside light from blue circle near closet door. Accent paint color is a charcoal grey with dark green undertones.


This is the wall the hexagon art would go on:


Master suite looking back at hall to den. Bedside hanging light will be higher, door on right is to same closet, 1/2 cracked door is to master bathroom. Wall art? Is bed too traditional?

Master suite last view, bathroom door to right, chaise lounger goes in carpet indentation at middle left.


Main level from kitchen to front door in 48' across.

Living room area measures: 16' x 1212' but can be larger or smaller depending on furniture placement.

Long entry wall is: 14'

Tall dining wall is 8' x 18' in opening (where like substantial artwork) and from wall to front door is 11' long.

Den measures: 18' x 20' and TV wall is 15' long

Hall is 8' x 5'

Master is 20' x 20'


Thank you in advance for making it this far and for any suggestions and ideas you have to offer! Truly appreciated!

Comments (62)

  • 8 years ago

    Thank you Galilee. Your work is superb; however, I intentionally did not wire for a stair chandelier as I didn't want to detract from the stairs which I designed and installed myself. They are one of my favorite features in the house.

    I have wired for two art feature lights above each landing on the stair in case I find pieces for these locations. In this instance, I may take you up on your offer of a custom design.

  • 8 years ago

    You asked about the bed being too traditional and, yes, it is, but I would keep it for now because it has classic lines and the bedspread blends it into the gray/cool color scheme. In this most private part of the house you may come to appreciate a little warmth. If not, you can still change it.

    I would suggest moving the living room furniture ensemble back another foot from the window.

    Having lived in a custom-built home I totally understand your fear about holes in the wall, which is a big issue at first. Trust me, you'll get over it. After a while all those pristine surfaces in my home had (small) holes in them that no one ever noticed, and a lot of them were covered with different paintings.

    I can understand your need to fill up these huge spaces with art, but in reality that is the last thing you should concentrate on. Most of the beautiful prints that I had on the walls to begin with are now sitting in closets and cabinets. The furniture is what you need to address first, and the rugs, although I notice you have a lot of wall-to-wall carpeting, so it's not a huge issue. However, downstairs you do have quite a large area of bare floors and sound is going to carry like you can't believe. You will need more area rugs. I notice you have snow outside and psychologically you're going to want cozier spaces there, and rugs will do that without impinging on your minimalist outlook.

  • 8 years ago

    I see a landscape over fp / watercolor on canvas -

    "Pine Ridge" Fine Art Canvas Print, 60"x40" · More Info
    https://www.houzz.com/products/pine-ridge-fine-art-canvas-print-60x40-prvw-vr~31741817

  • 8 years ago

    Add texture? - this seems on wood - many others on Houzz -

    Companions Wood Plank Wall Art, 20"x24" · More Info

    Bleedthrough II Wood Plank Wall Art, 20"x24" · More Info
    https://www.houzz.com/products/bleedthrough-ii-wood-plank-wall-art-20x24-prvw-vr~45061755

    Godswood thanked everdebz
  • 8 years ago

    Perhaps you could use acoustical tiles in a hexagon shape -- create art that also helps address sound issues:

    https://inhabitat.com/colorful-hexagonal-wall-tiles-made-from-sound-absorbing-wood-wool/form-us-with-love-hexagons-2/

    If you have the budget I will give two thumbs up to 1) working with an interior designer and 2) working with a local art gallery.

    We contracted with an interior design firm to help with our renovation and furnishing selections -- basically everything BUT art, as we wanted to collect that over time ourselves, as art is personal. As part of the contract, we agreed they could take photos of the finished product for their portfolio. When the project was complete, they enlisted the help of a local art gallery, who loaned artwork to fill the walls temporarily just for the photo session. We had the art on loan for a couple of weeks, which gave us ample time to see it in our space. Some of the pieces we didn't like at all, one we loved but it was way too rich for our budget, and two pieces we fell in love with and they fit in our budget... so we now own them.

    Note the gallery owner did put holes in our walls to hang the art. They offered to patch the holes afterwards, but we declined because now we know where we will hang future art. We also have a great idea of scale and placement.

    Also the gallery owner is on the lookout for potential next purchases we might be interested in that would work in our space. She also offered to give us a second opinion on any art we might find on our own (i.e., is the scale right, is the color right, does it work with the other pieces and furniture placement, etc).


    Godswood thanked Jennifer Dube
  • 8 years ago

    Following.

  • 8 years ago

    @Godswood I framed some Nama Rococo paper for a

    Eclectic Modern Tudor Entry Stair · More Info

    spare bedroom several years ago. It was an idea I stole from Houzz ;)

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I absolutely love your home, and you have great taste. I agree with pulling the rug further from the window or getting an even larger rug for such a large space. With all of the hard flooring you have, adding larger and/or more rugs will help to warm up the place a bit.

    Godswood thanked RugKnots | Area Rugs
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Wow, thank you all. I will pull the furniture back a little. Fortunately, the concrete floors are heated so they are quite cozy. I also love the ease of cleaning them. I'm not sure where else I would put rugs. Currently - living room, under dining table, and in front of kitchen sink. I will also have door mats. In all honesty, sound doesn't carry too bad. The slope of the ceiling, the carpet upstairs, and furniture so far really cut down on sound. Granted there are no private conversations with one big room but my cat and I don't have secrets. :)

    Because of the snow we have had... 12 inches Friday and another 3 Saturday I haven't been able to get anymore of my furniture nor was I able to go to the art gallery... consequences of living 1 mile from the 1st road that the county plows.

    I'll post a picture when I move the living set.

  • 8 years ago

    Different sizes and looks are sold. Possibly large wall, have 3 looks [maybe 3 sizes too?]

    Blue Brown Digital Art Fractal Flower, Floral Disc Metal Wall Art, 36" · More Info

    Abstract Smoke Reflection, Abstract Digital Round Metal Wall Art, 11" · More Info
    https://www.houzz.com/products/abstract-smoke-reflection-abstract-digital-round-metal-wall-art-11-prvw-vr~85817543

  • 8 years ago

    Your house is gorgeous!

    You're getting great suggestions on art pieces that will work with your decor.

    I encourage you to slow down on decorating and find art you truly love, rather than something to fill the blanks.

    As a person with a lot of art, my newer pieces were collected over two years for this house, and it took me awhile to figure a way for my older originals fit in.

    Five of my original art pieces were purchased at auction, for a fraction of gallery prices. The auctions were online, with a reputable local auction house. Before bidding, I researched the artists and found their work going for thousands (similarly priced to my older paintings that I brought with me). At auction, I paid no more than $400 for any individual piece. Not at auction -- for a nice glicée print, framed, I paid $500.


    Godswood thanked DYH
  • 8 years ago

    Of course I realize I cannot decorate and place art in the course of a week or a month or even a year. I haven't even begun! Although I have been practically living here for 9 months. Granted it's been a construction zone for all 9 of those months! I understand this will take time. I honestly don't even know where to start and with what piece. It's so hard to start over with decor especially when one room runs into the next seamlessly. I want my decor to do the same.

    I do love the appearance of cold hardness in my space although in reality it's quite warm and comfortable to me. Lounging on the sofas chatting with guests or reading a book has been amazing! I'm really enjoying the bright sun today. Ahhhhh!

    Here is the furniture pulled back in the living space and I found a box of pillows yesterday.

  • 8 years ago

    Far enough? I can go a smidge further, maybe 6" or I risk impeding on the walkway.

  • 8 years ago

    Yes, that is better, it doesn't look like the furniture is trying to climb out the window. I can see you're not loving the pillow thing. I'm short so I have to have a pillow at my back. The black and white ones look best since you don't want color. What a beautiful kitty; I have an adopted Turkish Angora who looks very similar.

    Godswood thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    I agree with concentrating on one room at a time otherwise you will be overwhelmed! I would take time buying art and buy what you love. Visit galleries, art festivals, flea markets and if that's not your thing then online has plenty of sites. It will take time to put it all together! Your house looks beautiful.
    Godswood thanked SJS Interiors
  • 8 years ago

    Looks fabulous. The one thing about all this snow is how brightly it reflects the sunshine through windows. Most of our art took years to acquire. Part of the fun,I'd say. Btw,is this really a self portrait done by your furry friend? https://www.chairish.com/product/994174/original-painting-cat-folk-artist-rose-walton

    Godswood thanked hollybar
  • 8 years ago

    This wouldn't glare - I see a blue pillow - this type?

    AICO Freestanding Lunar Eclipse Small Round Cocktail Table · More Info
    Michael AminiSold ByBedroom Furniture Discounts
    W 35.75" / H 13.25" / 76 lbs.https://www.houzz.com/products/aico-freestanding-lunar-eclipse-small-round-cocktail-table-prvw-vr~86285458


    Godswood thanked everdebz
  • 8 years ago

    Depends - hollybar's geometric wallpaper that you liked - if shapes are your thing, and hot saturated for art, repeat a color from it in a solid blue table: just an idea.

    Godswood thanked everdebz
  • 8 years ago

    Thank you all. I love the fresh takes on my space.

    ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 , my kitty is so soft he feels like angora but alas, I found him in a barn and he was a little cotton puff ball. I couldn't just leave him there as his fur would get so dirty living in a barn... fast forward 11 years and he thinks he's king of the house.

    everdebz , I love the second table. It's very different from anything I habe seen. I'm going to look for something similar but not in blue. My pillows are all black/ white, grey, and chartreuse. Perhaps you are seeing the grey pillow?

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Godswood, I also haven't seen that type hardly... I guess the striped pillow is grey....in one pic the sputnik looked golden, but it's not is it? I think you said large art would go there...

  • 8 years ago

    Godswood, how wonderful of you to rescue that little ball of fur. I'm sure the house would seem very empty without him. My cat came from the humane society and from a bad home situation before that, and it was only later that I discovered his breed.

    A really cool coffee table and a small table between the two chairs would nicely round out your living area.

  • 8 years ago

    I have a small table for in the living room. It is cast concrete to look like a thick slice of a tree trunk.

    Coffee table is a work in progress. Still searching.

  • 8 years ago

    I found some of my previous house's decor. Trying to decide if any should stay or if I should re-home or repaint and use here. (Still searching for my paintings. . . Where did I hide them?!)

    The lady head and 2 candle holders are just primed grey and a little beat up from moving 3 times in the past 1.5 yrs, I can repaint them. The fossils are a vacation souvenir. The silver see through orbs are probably my favorite. I like the swirl. The orange balls and small silver balls in the oil rubbed bronze "basket" are just okay. The basket would have to be repainted if it stayed. The little bird is just a little bird, nothing special.

    I love this giant floor vase (it's a very shiny charcoal grey) I just struggle with what should be in it. I am impartial to the greenery.

    and finally. . . LOL. My wooden figurines climbing the stairs. I think these will be donated but this was fun to do.

  • 8 years ago

    That vase would do well with tall twigs from trees or bushes, nothing green please. I hope you keep the wooden figurines. They add a touch of whimsy that is modern at the same time. I'd keep the embedded trilobite and the fossil on the stand. As for the rest - noooo.

  • 8 years ago

    I can respect your opinion, but why no to the shiny silver swirl and odd bust of the lady (perhaps painted a bright color?).

    Unfortunately that tall vase has a very shallow basin, don't ask me why, making it difficult to decorate. I love the twigs idea but do you have a solution for how to keep them upright? See picture:

  • 8 years ago

    That shallow basin is a problem. With somewhat deeper pots I put in sand and that held things in place, but this one is too shallow to support anything tall.

    My opinion on the objects you show is not really important. Decoration is very individual and your home should reflect you. It should be totally unique to your personality. I've gotten lots of good advice on this forum, and also lots of advice that didn't resonate with me and I therefore had to ignore.

  • 8 years ago

    Personally I hate dead twigs in vases. Such an overly done look.

    What I love is anything that answers the "Konmari" question-- does it bring you joy. If yes, keep it and figure out a way to display it.

    That said what brought you joy in your last home may not fit quite right in the new home, and you may find it no longer brings you joy. This you can sort out over time. I've been going through this myself lately. Have re-homed a lot of items I love that just don't work in the new interiors. It takes time. And playing around with your stuff.

    Like your vase... could that go in the entry way and be used to hold keys, wallet, sunglasses, etc?


  • 8 years ago

    ... or perhaps the bath? And use it to hold rolled up towels?

  • 8 years ago

    follow


  • 8 years ago

    The vase. I love this vase, I hate the shallow part! I don't bring keys, sunglasses, wallet/purse inside the house. I couldn't stand looking at them in the bowl if I did anyway. Same goes for towels. The ones not in use must be put away.

    Maybe I will "fill" it back up with wine corks like I did at my last house or maybe I'll put it outside and use it as a summer planter.

  • 8 years ago

    Okay, I got the leather sofas here! There is no way I'm carrying them upstairs as I barely got them loaded and unloaded. So I decided that I would just move the sofas that were going upstairs after I found new main level sofas right now instead of later. They are much lighter and easier to carry. So I currently have over stuffed reddish brown leather sofas with nail head trim (so not this houses style) in my main living room! Ugg. Here it is along with some of the art work I have found. I also have my entry table in place and a side table between the two chairs that I don't love here but I feels like it helps balance the sofas until I modernize.

  • 8 years ago

    Just saw.... ok something warm in the space! :) where are we at?! what size art, and where? I could see the largest behind sputnik light....but none that I can't really tell, are large enough.... with so much floor space, and air space, maybe an over-sized canvas?

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    The creamy lady might seems nice with the creamy sofa? I love houndstooth for some reason - sophisticated not fussy.... full wall of windows, somehow seems an arc lamp would go...

    Versanora Arquer Arc Floor Lamp, 66.93", Black Shade and Black Marble Base · More Info
    https://www.houzz.com/products/versanora-arquer-arc-floor-lamp-6693-black-shade-and-black-marble-base-prvw-vr~51969751

  • 8 years ago

    The photo of the multi-colored idea -- do you mean the entire wall, because you could frame wallpaper instead [a large amount of]...

  • 8 years ago

    One idea - not large enough - and size of dining table??

    City Graffiti, by Ben & Raisa Gertsberg, 48"x48", Canvas Print · More Info
    https://www.houzz.com/products/city-graffiti-by-ben-and-raisa-gertsberg-48x48-canvas-print-prvw-vr~94063875

  • 8 years ago

    To me, dramatic:

    "Magic Canyon" Limited Edition by Scott J. Menaul, 69x44 · More Info
    https://www.houzz.com/products/magic-canyon-limited-edition-by-scott-j-menaul-69x44-prvw-vr~37586997

    Godswood thanked everdebz
  • 8 years ago

    Upper level with purple wall maybe? and could refer over to the number of windows...

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Perhaps on the "Magic Canyon". I like the design in the print. I would prefer no red.

    I like the "City Graphiti" butfeelit is too symmetrical. I like a more abstract and minimalistic designs.

    Yes, I do mean the entire wall, like faded up to more wall color showing and fewer painted pieces.

    I also feel a simple arc lamp would go nicely in this space. Just looking for the right one.

    None of my current prints seem large enough for me to go anywhere. I really dislike the city prints and will be donating those. The creamy lady is my favorite but I think she will be hung in my laundry room because I don't want any red or dark yellow in my living space.


    I'm currently far from home in Idaho and there is a cool art gallery I have passed twice. I'm hoping tomorrow I have a chance to stop in and see what they have! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for something that screams my name!

  • 8 years ago

    I would ditch the green pillows pronto; the black and white houndstooth will help to integrate sofa with the rug, would eliminate the beige, black and black and white striped ones. The cat can definitely stay. The Klimt-like lady I would not use; the others might all be usable because they have the cool colors and modern vibe you are going for, Sizes are fairly small; perhaps you can group them.

  • 8 years ago

    The green and striped pillows are already gone. (They moved upstairs.) I dont have a beige pillow. I have all charcoal, all black, and the houndstoodth left on the leather sofas. The city scapes are going to be donated. They were always my least favorite prints at my last house.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Godswood, is this current, checking.... "I am currently looking for large scale abstract canvases in blacks, greys, oranges, and/or purples."

    If you click M.Canyon's 'More Info' it should lead to variations w/o red...

    diy sounds great!


    Godswood thanked everdebz
  • 8 years ago

    I'm a little late to the party, but your home is gorgeous!

    Have you looked at Artfinder.com ? It is original art at all different price points. I've gotten almost all my artwork from there or Etsy. I'd keep buying more but, I'm all out of wall space!

    I think your home would be well suited for some textural wall art.

    Here is a metal artist I purchased from

    https://www.etsy.com/shop/JonAllenMetalArt?ref=l2-shopheader-name

    I like the whimsy of this

    https://www.artfinder.com/product/one-that-got-away-bespoke-commission/#/

    Or glass wall art

    Godswood thanked aimeekm
  • 8 years ago

    Wow, thank you Aimeekm!

    The glass work is gorgeous! I will be looking into those more in depth. Thank you for sharing.

  • 8 years ago

    Everdebz, to answer your questions...

    I don't know how big my dining table is (I haven't seen it in 1.5 years). It seats 6 comfortably or 8 if you crowd the ends. I prefer to keep it to 6.

    Yes, I am still looking for large scale, abstract, minimalistic art in any colors except red and yellow. I especially like black (if there was a darker color it would be my favorite), grey, dark to medium purple, and dark or rust orange.

    I'm not a huge fan of whimsical or fantasy. I wouldn't do 3 paintings to make 1 or have something that yells modern cliche to me. I would say I have a thousand dollar taste on a five hundred dollar budget, every time I see some thing I love, I wish it were about half the price. I do understand artists and art dealers need to make a buck but I think my expectations thus far exceed my pocketbook's depth. :)

  • 8 years ago
    Go to art.com and search 84x84 size which is the biggest they sell. More in the ballpark of the size your lovely home demands. It's part of they're Loft collection. I believe great big canvas only goes to 60x40. A fellow Houzzer gave me that tip. I had gone to art.com many times and didn't see anything larger than 60x40, but they have it if you know to search.
    Godswood thanked lshack17
  • 8 years ago

    Thank you Ishack

  • 8 years ago

    I finally had time to unpack and move the remainder of my stuff! My parents are likely delighted (it was all stored in their house!)

    Progress: (but by no means completed, I haven't bought any decor or furniture yet, still deciding exactly what I want)

    I think I am going to wait until I find a new living room set to replace the leather sofas prior to purchasing new art work. I will update again once I'm at that point!

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I look forward to seeing your updates but realize it will take time. The house is fab and your choices for it will be stellar,I'm sure. Thought of this dilemma the other day when I ran into this artwork ;-)

    Godswood thanked hollybar
  • 8 years ago
    Thanks for the update! Shopping for contemporary furniture will be fun!