Software
Houzz Logo Print
hktm13

help me pick a mirror please

Coming to the end of a powder room reno. Pics attached, but navy vinyl raffia textured Thibaut wallpaper / white beadboard on walls. Mosaic blue and grey floor, cool grey vanity. Fixtures are polished chrome.

Need a mirror for over the sink - thinking silver, maybe beaded or beveled.

Any suggestions on shape? Stick with traditional rectangle or try oval
Or something different? Thanks!

Comments (23)

  • 8 years ago
    Love that floor! My first thought is rectangular in silver or the gray color in the floor.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Stunning room.


  • 8 years ago
    Oval shape w/ thin silver trim!!
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I wouldn't put another geometric shape in there to compete with that floor .... stick with the shapes you already have going on in there. So I would either do an octagon or a rectangle. In other words, I wouldn't do any rounded shape. And I would relocate the toilet paper holder to the side of the vanity so it's not the first thing you see when you walk in the room.

  • 8 years ago
    Thanks everyone! Helpful. Re: the toilet paper holder. Unfortunately, not gonna happen - it’s recessed. Every reno, I’ve done I’ve learned something - in this case it was about the toilet paper holder. ;-)
  • 8 years ago

    @cpaul1 I believe an octagon and a rectangle is a geometric shape. ;)

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    As for the TP holder, you can move it and fill the hole if you prefer.

  • 8 years ago

    @Beverly, thanks! I wasn’t entirely sure if that was doable, since we cut into the beadboard. I’ll live with it for a while and then see about changing it. Thanks for sharing - good to know it’s a possibility!

  • 8 years ago

    Choose the largest, plain, unframed mirror you can find that will fit your space. You could even choose one wide enough to hang over/behind both the sink and toilet -- just make sure your light works with that.

    https://www.google.com/search?q=large+unframed+wall+mirror&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiBrLniiePZAhUL61MKHZTdCp8QsxgIKw&biw=1366&bih=650

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Since that is beadoard, you would have to replace the sheet.

  • 8 years ago

    What does your fixture look like?

  • 8 years ago

    Light fixture? Not at home at present but it’s a ceiling light fixture. polished chrome to coordinate with sink and other hardware, drum shade.can post a pic later or tomorrow.

  • 8 years ago

    Will add it’s a really small room. 5’ x 5’

  • 8 years ago

    Drywall over the recessed toilet paper holder and relocate it. It's that bad.

  • 8 years ago
    Well, “that bad” is still livable. Lol. I wouldn’t put it there again, but it doesn’t bother enough to go to the expense of tearing out freshly painted beadboard, in a bathroom that mainly services children under 7 while my husband and I are at work. Let’s wait til one of them at least draw on it first . As for the light fixture. Photo attached.
  • 8 years ago

    There is nothing wrong with the toilet paper holder.

    The light fixture- that reminds me of going to a modern art museum and seeing something about which I just have to say, I think I must not understand that.

    What I will say is that if this powder room is going to be for guests, you might as well doll it up and make it a little jewel box.

    I don't understand what "genre" the ceiling fixture is, but whatever it is, please pick a mirror in the same one.

    If you don't need a medicine cabinet, you can get a beautiful mirror, (making sure you use the correct mounting hardware) and amp up the glamour factor by putting up sconces that coordinate with your ceiling fixture on either side of that fabulous mirror.

    Since the cabinet under the sink has storage, why not keep the extra rolls of toilet paper in there, and put the box of tissues on the toilet tank?

    On the wall perpendicular to the wall with the mirror you can put up a wonderful art piece, and a shelf for a three dimensional collectible that is interesting, like a large piece of coral or a large seashell.

  • 8 years ago
    Thanks loobab. Sconces aren’t possible right now. The room isn’t wired for them. That would entail having to open up the walls, which isn’t in the budget.

    The extra toilet paper should’ve been in the cabinet, my three year old put it on top of the toilet. Frankly, I was just happy that she actually got it in the room . If you have kids you understand!

    Agree on art and mirror and jewel box approach. The light fixture I’m not married too. Husband doesn’t love it either and it wasn’t expensive. If you have a rec on a different light fixture I’ll take a look and file away for when I can change it.
  • 8 years ago

    For mirrors there are the Venetian glass mirrors which can be more simple or more ornate-

    You can also mix it up, and have the mirror frame be wood, although fancy just the same -

    The above is probably too big, it is just an example.


  • 8 years ago

    There is also the starburst mirror which comes in silver or gold, rustic, refined, glam, etc.


    and scores more types. Google image starburst mirror.

    The style of your light fixture should be congruent, but not identical.

    Maybe pick a mirror first, and make sure it is hung by a professional, they can be very, very heavy.

    Then choose a chandelier.

    Lastly, artwork and accessories.

    Usually, you would pick artwork first, but this is a bathroom, so no expensive artwork here, and anything here would be just a print with glass (actually acrylic is preferable) over it.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Here are a variety of mirrors that might work for you in your powder room:

    Austin Master Bathroom · More Info

    Mirrors · More Info

    Mirrors · More Info

  • 8 years ago

    Any of Beverly's mirrors would be awesome!

  • 8 years ago

    Don't worry about the TP holder- it is something you expect to see in a powder room and it would take a lot of work to redo that wall.

    I'd go with a simple rectangular mirror in a silver frame.

    The room looks gorgeous- I love the floor!