Software
Houzz Logo Print
imanij

Should I get a larger rug?

13 years ago
I've always thought this rug was too small for the space but have just dealt with it. Now I'm willing to get a new one. Let me know what you think. If I get a larger one, should it have color or get one similar to the one I have? It's hard finding something that won't compete with the black & white chair. Thanks!

Comments (61)

  • 13 years ago
    I apologize for adding more choices but I don't think the issue is the size of the rug. Try it without a rug or try a different style coffee table.
  • 13 years ago
    Tayloch, interesting! Yes, picture existing rug with coffee table posted in first picture by Judyg. I think that would work beautifully.
  • 13 years ago
    I do not see any issue. And putting front feet of chairs on rugs is just ugly.
  • 13 years ago
    Yes bigger 8 x 10 with some color. Traditional print in color of furn. Plus a accent color ??
  • 13 years ago
    I see black, cream, red, and wall color a gold for rug. Persian would be idea.
  • 13 years ago
    I would go with an 8 x10 rug, in a subtle grey and white geometric design--enough to offset all the white furniture and enough to provide more visual interst with all those solid colors.
  • 13 years ago
    The rugs shown by Judyg and genivee, are great zebra would be perfect. Change out red pillows to zebra just a couple.
  • 13 years ago
    Good comment tayloch and pcmom1. A simple metal frame glass coffee table might be great - much better than a rug change.
  • 13 years ago
    Can you find another chair like black and white one. If you can remove white chair and replace with chairs. Still go bigger rug but only 6x9
  • 13 years ago
    It's a pretty room but too matchy. Never by sets of furn n one color. But, a lot of people do it. They like the very uniform standard look. So all comes down to what you like. It seems that most people on this site like more color in rooms. It's all a matter of taste.
  • 13 years ago
    Here are closer-up pics of the patterns in the room. I really like the rug that judyg posted but am wondering if it would clash.
  • 13 years ago
    Yes, a larger rug would be the right choice. Measure it, leave al least a foot of your beautiful hardwoods showing. As for the color I would suggest it match a main color in your pillows. Make sure you that at least the feet on the front of your chairs are on the rug!
  • 13 years ago
    Love the zebra suggestion. It would take your room to the next level.
  • 13 years ago
    I think judyg wasn't suggesting the rug but the article about area rug rules. Right judyg?
  • 13 years ago
    I actually think the zebra rug would be fine with the chair. I would add a couple pillows also in zebra. I think you need a larger lamp. Although the one you have is really pretty it's too small. I think a metallic silver base would add the jewelry for your room. Maybe a nice round sunburst mirror would add to the room.
  • 13 years ago
    Here are some rugs that I pulled based on some of your suggestions.
  • 13 years ago
    Let me know what you think
  • 13 years ago
    More
  • 13 years ago
    More Zebra. Does anyone know where I can find the zebra rug judyg posted?
  • 13 years ago
    Nice choices!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I do like the Zebra in red/wheat color right above
  • 13 years ago
    Yes, I agree the rug is too small, the occasional chair should be on the rug. If I went with the zebra rug, a glass table would be beautiful, transparent so you see the rug and lighten up the visual mass in the space. Also, just FYI, I would have gone with 2 chairs instead of a love seat and chair. Two people never sit in a love seat and it limits furniture placement.
  • 13 years ago
    I would have to disagree about two people never sitting in a love seat. There are two cushions, one for each person. We strictly use this for entertaining and have never just had one person take up the whole seat. I agree a glass table would like nice!
  • 13 years ago
    Schroeder Design, i like that one too!
  • 13 years ago
    Are you thinking a rectangular zebra rug or a zebra shape? Either could work but a shaped one doesn't have to be as large to make an impact. You have beautiful wood floors and your furniture arrangement already ties the area together.
  • 13 years ago
    Try Lamp plus.
  • 13 years ago
    Maybe you could do a rug that's bigger and one that matches the plum pillows so that way there isn't too much cram on that ice.
  • 13 years ago
    http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/rugs-usa-zebra/white/200SBSA02-406.html

    FYI
    Zebra looks great layered over a larger sisal rug
  • 13 years ago
    Hmm...I haven't thought about a zebra shape over a larger sisal. I like that idea! Thanks sharpkl!
  • 13 years ago
    zebra would look great layered over the rug you have now!
    I know you didn't reference yr lamps but they look like they belong in a bedroom.
    A lamp with a larger shade would look more appropriate and fill in some of the empty wall space next to the mirror
  • 13 years ago
    I like the wine and tan zebra rug, too. It is unusual and totally unexpected--quite the conversation piece!
  • 13 years ago
    That's really pretty sharpkl! I found some more.
  • 13 years ago
    I love the whole look. In this case it seems more is better. The sisal, zebra, white, black, tan are all considered neutral.
  • 13 years ago
    Yeah, at first I thought the zebra would clash with the damask chair but seeing it in the pic above makes me think it would look really nice.
  • 13 years ago
    anne dee, I love my lamps but also think they could be a tad bigger. I haven't found anything that I like more. They have a crystal base which picks up the crystal chandelier in our dining room which is right across from the living room.
  • 13 years ago
    Overstock.com good pl for rugs.
  • 13 years ago
    Travisinteriors, I agree about overstock. The rug I have now is from there along with the rug we have in our dining room.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Imaniij, try hanging the mirror vertically and add something on each side. Maybe some crystal sconces? Or a couple of your framed black and white photos?

    This is shown in the photo you posted just above of the brown room with the zebra rug. Think that will give your wall more "wow!".

    And keep up the search for larger lamps!
  • 13 years ago
    in my opinion a few too many pillows, looks cluttered a bit. Add a colored throw over loveseat. The rug is too small and too bland. One that will allow your sofa legs and at least front of chair would work better i feel. Best of luck!
  • 13 years ago
    Pillows should be corners only and on one side only. Do groupings of 3. Never space pillows across sofa. Just a accent. Add pattern to pillows, to bring interest. Add animal print mix it up.
  • 13 years ago
    I like the rug with the zebra margins...not too zebra and not too plain. Some places allow you to take home the rug for a couple of days to try it out (e.g. Living Spaces)
  • 13 years ago
    Room 4 of the ones you posted is the direction I think you need to go. You are almost there. Bigger amps, dress out the mirror with side pics or?. Don't be meek. You have a lot of area and a great start. Maybe your lamps could go on a credenza somewhere?
  • 13 years ago
    Wow, room 4 is almost exactly like yours. Your house is very nice. I would follow room 4 tho not sure if I like the zebra rug but it is what you like!
  • 13 years ago
    I agree with everyone that said room 4 is the way to go. Thanks for the suggestions! I'm wondering though if I place black & white photos stacked on each side of the mirror, should I replace the photos that are on the side wall with a large piece of artwork.
  • 13 years ago
    I think you need 2 pic one atop the other on either side of mirror to make an impact and balance. Then two larger lamps. Now the room starts to say "I've arrived and I'm special"
  • 13 years ago
    After retreading your comment I see that's what you planned. Lol
  • 13 years ago
    Yup, similar to this pic. Two stacked pics on each side of the mirror. I am now wondering what to do with the side wall. Leave the photo wall as is or replace those pics with a large piece of art work.
  • 13 years ago
    Hmmm...it's not as imperative as getting the sofa wall right. Maybe a piece of metal work? Just brainstorming here.