Software
Houzz Logo Print
sklunk

What color to do the backsplash?

13 years ago
I like the look of classic white ceramic subway tile, but live by the ocean and would really love a blue or light aqua in ceramic tile. I can't find any inexpensive websites with great colors. Any ideas for tile and website? Thanks in advance! Suzanne

Comments (39)

  • 13 years ago
    You will find that hard! Try going to an actual shop and looking at samples.
  • 13 years ago
    I just did mine in a carrerra 1x2 mini brick and love it! I was between the white subway and this and happy with my decision. It has different tones of blue- gray in it. Also have the white cabinets (they haven't replaced the doors yet) with absolute black granite.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks, that looks great! I am looking for 3x6 or 4x4 tiles, but also love the different tones of blues in your backsplash. Do they come in larger sizes?
  • 13 years ago
    I have a similar backsplash in larger tile! here's a pic. I think we might have the same cabinets too, ikea lidingo?
  • 13 years ago
    Yes, Ikea Lindigo cabinets! Yes, I love your backsplash. What is the name, color and grout color? Thanks!
  • 13 years ago
    The tile is called Milky Way (cararra marble, a bit tumbled for that old world kind of look), grout is Antique White.
  • 13 years ago
    here's another pic.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Back splash areas take so little amounts of square footage. Sometimes it is best to find exactly what your looking for, even if it cost you a little more. It may take a only couple extra months to save up for that perfect tile, but such a little time to wait for a lifetime of pleasure!

    Here are some ideas!
  • 13 years ago
    i love this tile too--has so many variations
  • 13 years ago
    Yep, carera marble subway tile is my pick! We used it, easy to clean, soft muted colors that are clean looking yet not dull. Unless you want a pop of color......
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Hi Suzanne,

    I think you could still do a subway tile, but achieve the beach/ocean feel you're looking for. I think our pearl subway tile would do the trick.

    You can see it here- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/products/mosaic-tiles/colors/subway/

    With the color you already have in your counters and cabinetry, I think the pearl would really work well. Hope this helps!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I guess you'd like something like this ? (currently don't know who it is from though.. sorry) I Think it would look amazing in your kitchen !
  • 13 years ago
    don't make the mistake of doing subway tile because everyone else is doing it, you'll end-up dating the house by doing so. Personally all the other examples shown here are a much better choice. Also have some color variation gives more personality & it would be easy to switch color decorating with more than just plain white JMHO.....have you thought about a wallpaper as a backsplash--there are some really cool ones
  • 13 years ago
    I have similar cabinets and will be putting in dark gray quartz counter tops soon. I'm with you about wanting a little blue in my backsplash so I do like the Carrara marble. I will be anxious to see your finished kitchen.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    If you like the subway look but want to add some personality? Or if you want your back splash to be unique and not look like all the others? Think out of the box and go with something creative! Consider going with a lighter subway tile and add a feature strip of color. Here is an example but add aqua/ blue color.

    Or add a strip of 1x1glass between the subway tiles. The last picture, I took the left over granite slab and created a mountain lower back splash. The subway with the glass 1x1 between makes it look like it is raining. After all my clients of the view of Mount Rainier and it does tend to rain in the Seattle area!
  • 13 years ago
    Might be better to keep it simple with the expensive reno work and then accessorize with less permanent items. You can always add interest and bursts of colour via accessories, window treatments, and art vs. committing to bright tile.
  • 13 years ago
    Such great ideas! Keep them coming! Maisons Laprise, I LOVE that color blue! Any ideas of where to point me? I also like the pearl look, and the marble is great. I agree that I can add color too, but it is SO hard to figure out what to do!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    A retail tile store that carries either Emser Tile, Thompson Tile or Bedrosian Tile are all reasonable priced tiles.
  • 13 years ago
    Do you have a budget per square foot? That would be helpful in terms of specific suggestions. Some of the beautiful blue tiles I am thinking of are pricey and marble mosaics can be pricey as well (you can get marble [venetino] subway tile at Lowes for a reasonable price [under $6 per square foot] but even at Lowes a marble mosaic is going to be more expensive).
    I personally struggled between an aqua/turquoise backsplash and something more neutral, and ultimately chose a marble and limestone mix because I was afraid to limit myself with something so permanent [although I do love the kitchens where someone was more bold than me!].
  • 13 years ago
    I have 31 square feet that I need for my backsplash. I would like to try and keep it under $10/sq ft. I own a condo, so don't want to invest more than what it is worth. I'm not planning on selling within next couple of years, but, with the way the market has been, I am trying to be cognizant of that :)
  • 13 years ago
    Do you have any local tile stores? I agree with the suggestion above re visiting one. I think for colored subway tile you will want to try to find something that has more of that crackled/fired/handmade look or it may look like bathroom tile, and you will want to see it in person, bring it home with you. Trying to find tile online can be overwhelming. If you are in the northeast, best tile has a good selection - they have their own products as well as name brands.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks! I am in NH, and have been to almost every store within a 50 mile radius, but haven't had luck finding stores that have color!
  • 13 years ago
    Ugh I feel your pain!
    OK here is a website, maybe you can get some samples. http://www.southcypress.com/Theme/Subway-Tile#.UcCOBNzD-h0
    There is no pricing info on their website, but Fireclay makes beautiful subway tile that I am going to assume is expensive, but might be worth tracking down. http://www.fireclaytile.com/dealers
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks, I will check it out! Fireclay is my absolute favorite, but WAY over budget for me. Hopefully I can just get samples online.
  • 13 years ago
    find a inexpensive tile that wil match the tile you really love & just do a strip of it.
  • 13 years ago
    Great idea, thanks! Now if I could just find the right hand painted ceramic tile in blue :)
  • 13 years ago
    I redid my old condo a few years ago and was looking for something similar. I ended up going with blue subway tiles from Florida Tile - the Retro Classic collection (though I can't remember the shade of blue!). It was very reasonably priced, I want to say roughly $7/ft, and each piece was slightly different, lending a hand-done effect. I loved it. Good luck, hope you find what you're looking for!
  • 13 years ago
    P.S. Haven't been able to find the same tile online today, but I purchased it through Color Tile... You might try them if you like it!
  • 13 years ago
    Heath Ceramics also makes some gorgeous subway tiles. :-)
  • 13 years ago
    lexiekwong....are your cabinets gray??? I like them, been debating on gray stain or light gray paint with characoal glaze.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    If you can't find an inexpensive tile you like, how about temporary wallpaper? It's like a big sticker, easy to put up and remove, WAY better patterns than regular wallpaper, but just as water-resistant and easy to clean. Chasing Paper comes in 2x4 panels, and has a ton of amazing prints; Tempaper comes in rolls for bigger surface area.
  • 13 years ago
    kcar66: They are actually Thomasville's Chocolate oak. Love the idea of gray cabinets!
  • 12 years ago
    SO grateful for all of the great advice, and so HAPPY with the result - Here it is :)!
  • 12 years ago
    sklunk - so where did you find this tile?
  • 12 years ago
    BTW, wine shouldn't be stored near a heat source.
  • 12 years ago
    Looks amazing!!! Well done!!!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    that looks amazing!!