Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snarkyinla

Washer is only using hot water no matter the setting?

snarkyinla
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Anyone else ever have this problem? New washer/dryer was delivered and everything seemed fine until I did my first load, the clothes were boiling hot. I then did a load of cold-only wash, still boiling hot. As my contractors are here doing work, they tested the line and cold water is definitely working out of the cold water spigot. I did another small, cold load after they tested the spigot, still boiling hot.

The appliance store is supposedly sending someone out tomorrow (I give it 50/50 odds they will really show tomorrow) to check it out, but I looked online and couldn't find anything to describe this.

Any thoughts?

This is the model, FYI: http://www.lg.com/us/washers/lg-WM4370HWA-front-load-washer

Comments (12)

• snarkyinla
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks! I'll check that out...

• Ava
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Dadoes, if that is the case, wouldn't selecting hot...give a cold wash?

• snarkyinla
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    In all cases I’ve tried it would have had a cold rinse so that’s why the clothes would be piping hot at the end. Having taken a look I’m sure that’s what happened but it’s a stackable set so I need them to come out and move it to fix it. They also made a rats nest of the pipes and connections so they can clean that up while there...
  • snarkyinla
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks everyone, they came out and fixed it, and that's exactly what it was -- the hoses were reversed. They also were installed in a very "rat's nest" sort of way, which they fixed as well.

• snarkyinla
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yes switching the hoses solved the problem. My last few washers have been LG and I’ve not had any issues. This was clearly an install problem
  • N 2Guess
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

The problem is probably the water heater setting is too hot and needs to be lowered. I had the same issue and saw online in a couple of forums that the water heater hot water being at such a high temperature may through the system off in your washer. adjust the hot water on the water heater, and this should fix the cold water setting on your washer. My washer is a Samsung Front load by the way and there has been no issues since.

• shalla villett
    2 years ago

wow i have been searching for the answer to this.....just got a new water heater today

I hope this is the solution. Thanks for sharing this. My brand new Maytag has been

boiling hot on the cold setting

• dadoes
    2 years ago

@shalla villett ... more likely your hot and cold supply hoses are reversed at the machine's inlet valve connections.

• Stax
    2 years ago

N2Guess,

How insulting. You (sorta) Then you post a "solution" that has nothing to do with the OP's problem and get read a 3 year old thread that includes various contributors diagnosing the problem as cross hoses and the OP confirming that was the problem and switching back solved the problem!

Then shalla jumps in, doesn't read the thread, and accepts your improper diagnosis.

Wow!

• JANE HESTER
    last year

im so confused by all of these none make since and then the lst one really confused me

• w0lley32
    last year

Most newer washing machines will mix in a little bit of hot water with the cold even if you select the cold wash cycle. My LG machine has a cold setting and a "tap cold" setting. And even the "tap cold" will mix in a bit of hot water to bring the water temp to 25 deg C according to the manual. Having the hot and cold hoses reversed, will result in the machine washing clothes with a little bit of cold water mixed in with the hot, and the final rinse will be made with hot water only.