Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cooz

cooz
12 years ago
Help!!! I have a traditional red brick home with white trim. I want to paint the door and shutters a fun color. I am not a traditional gal and am looking for a way to modernize it a bit, without getting a letter from the homeowner's assocation :)
Magnolia Residence 03 · More Info

Comments (26)

• motherbear
    12 years ago
    You could change to dark trim & shutters & add a punch of color to the door.
  • PRO
    Lohr Homes
    12 years ago
    I would change the dark trim & shutters to a pink/orange soft color. That would give it a great punch!
  • smorgan865
    12 years ago
    I agree, I love the black and grays.
    To the other elements: I would paint/stain the wood a darker color, square off the column, and change up the landscaping to maybe some tall grasses.
  • marybennett
    12 years ago
    I love it...just ditch the rose bush and add something else

• Alison
    12 years ago
    Is there an inside trim to those windows? I can't really tell by the photo... if so what about keeping the outer trim dark (charcoal) and then do something fun an unexpected on the inner trim like a washed out wasabi green (although it might be hard to find one that didn't look festive with all that red brick) or you could do any bright colour that worked for you... The dark outer area really would allow for any punch...
  • Stephanie Halen
    12 years ago
    I agree with mother bear. I would buy some fiberglass plant containers that have alot of color and design. www.frontgate com. I would keep it simple to with a shade of grey or black for a pop. I would spruce up the landscaping it does wonders. I would call in a landscape designer...
  • Christine Hilton
    12 years ago
    I love it,just change out the roses to tall grasses.I would only add colour to the front door.
  • PRO
    User
    12 years ago
    I think those colors, already modernize the space BUT I think if you take out the rose bush- add some really GIANT aloe vera or agave plants & some modern really GIANT vases or pottery like maybe in 3's at the corner of the steps and/or by the landing & a modern table & chairs outside or add a pop of color with the black chairs that are there with colored chair pads & something modern to the table- those things will definitely modernize the space WITHOUT having to be permanent & deal with the homeowners association!
  • myhouzzisyourhouzz
    12 years ago
    Periwinkle. Use it somewhere for a pop!
  • Joanne Shaw
    12 years ago
    Colors are great, I would remove spindles and add tempered glass instead.
    Big bold size urns, but with simple planting, remove rose bush and add boxwood for a nice formal touch. Nice modern light fixtures on either side of the door would look good too!
  • inkwitch
    12 years ago
    There's a website which lists the "meaning" of various door colors. It's interesting reading. Benjamin Moor & Sherwin Williams offer online virtual painting although it's hard to find a house example close to your own. I use them as tools, and it helps hone in on which colors I really like and really dislike.

You have enough red (brick) and the gray is solid and grounding. If you want something fun, think of unexpected colors. A bright (but not taxi) yellow front door would be a great contrast to all that gray. There's also deep orange, but watch the tones on that one, and black.

Redoing your garden would add pizzaz -- if you do a yellow door, swamp the beds with yellow-blooming flowers. Orange - rusty daylillies. This will take some research because you don't want to have to do it more than once! And where you live will determine what will survive.

Decorating (inside or out) with grays tend to traditional combinatins such as reds, blues and whites. Not too original. If you really want to change the look, think about painting all that gray (!!!) a different color or even a lighter shade at some future point.
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    12 years ago
    I'm confused - you said white trim? I don't see any. Love the look of your home, and yes - change out the roses to tall grasses. Paint your door a rich brick red, something with substance that will compliment the brick colour because if you go too wild you will get a letter from the Board! Good luck.
  • Carolyn Caines
    12 years ago
    Consider using a natural wood trim instead of paint. Perhaps an ipe, dark like a walnut, but weather resistant like teak. The brick and wood would have a more modern feel. Also perhaps add a metal (maybe nickel) streamline minimal railing for the porch and stairs. And yes, change out the garden. Think about using concrete trough planters.
  • tunrida
    12 years ago
    Difficult to say on one elevation but as an easy start you can just paint all the highlights charcoal black (a nice matt sheen) but I agree with the replies saying to change up with the garden. Something simple, maybe some round box along that planter in the middle distance and on the edge of the patio. Also some other structured plants on the near window and wall, but would need to see the front elevation. Some sexy garden furniture , maybe in a dark coloured sleek weave with white cushions and understair lighting.
  • redsez
    12 years ago
    Can you tell me what these paint color name or numbers are? I think it's stunning. Just bought a red brick house. thank you
  • bargnshopr
    11 years ago
    I love the color combo with this red brick. What color is on the porch/decking?
  • bargnshopr
    11 years ago
    Hi again - do you have a picture of the front of the home?
  • PRO
    mynorriskitchen
    11 years ago
    Me too! did you find the color? jksimom@aol.com
  • 87pears
    11 years ago
    Please what colour is the stucco?
  • meemltl
    11 years ago
    love this trim color...kendall charcoal? could this work on a red brick house if the grout is not dark grey but regular aging grout?
  • Monica Martin
    11 years ago
    I have a traditional red brick colonial as well. I recently painted the trim a dark taupe and the shutters and doors a medium gray/blue. I get ooohs and aaahs from all the neighbors. I picked a more modern color pallette for the outside to reflect the updated interior. Sherwin Williams has an application on their website where you can upload pictures from your house and try out new colors. I did 5 color combinations and had my friends help me with my selction on FB. FUN!
  • rsherma1
    10 years ago
    What color gray is used?
  • PRO
    Vida Shore Design
    9 years ago
    Could you please tell me what the 3 paint colors are for the exterior?
  • Shannon Hart
    2 years ago

Looks like wrought iron Benjamin Moore

• Shannon Hart
    2 years ago

would you mind sharing what dark taupe you went with for the trim and what gray/blue you used as well? sounds lovely