Software
Houzz Logo Print
emily_klein73

Rounded edge kitchen island. Yes or No?

8 years ago
Our designer is recommended a rounded kitchen island and I’m unsure about it. For one thing, it will be more expensive for countertops and likely custom cabinets for storage, but on the other hand it appears to have more seated space for entertainment. Thoughts? Photo below is of our floor plans.

Comments (15)

  • 8 years ago
    I have a rounded island bar and love it. It’s not quite as much of an arc as your plan shows. I like it a lot, as people that are sitting there are not all lined up and can actually have a conversation. Yes - the cost is more for countertop, but still a good option, is you can afford. My only concern is the size of yours - maybe consider a smaller arc.
  • 8 years ago
    The issue with moving a table to the breakfast nook is that we have 3 seated areas for food and don’t see the point to that.
  • 8 years ago
    I think this is a great option and mix of both worlds...I think the idea of the seats at the island would be casual and more entertainment vs everyday eating.
  • 8 years ago

    i dont think my sink is ever clean enough to be the focal point for 4 people. i'd like it more without the sink.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I like it because it's pretty and soft and a little different. I can see the appetizers all over the round surface at a cocktail party.

    But, as mentioned above, it's about how your family lives. You still have a dining table and coffee corner. Is that enough? We like a bar for people to hang out. I'd go for it.

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    This feels like a personal preference. For me personally, I do not like rounded islands, which somehow feels dated to me. However, the one Beverly posted doesn't look too bad. Even still, I prefer linear islands and would be opposed to this design option. I vote no.

  • 8 years ago

    I love it too! It works really well with all the other areas and looks fun! I have a 60" diameter round table where we eat most of our meals, I will give it up when we remodel and I think I might miss sitting around it. ..I don't have the depth to have anything but a rectangular island.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I estimate that the side to side measurement is about 88" so it will be impossible to reach the center from either side.

    What is the measurement, top to bottom, at the widest point? It's not as much as the side to side measurement but it's not that much less (72"?). If so, unless you're quite tall, you'll likely need to climb on a stool to clean the center of the island.

    If the island is about 88" wide, I don't think you need such a deep curve to seat 4 people at the counter. This island looks to be about the same width as yours will be.

    Normandy Rd Kitchen & Dining · More Info

    You could also consider an island shaped like the one in the photo below.

    Hillside Barn · More Info

    Here's how that might work in your kitchen:

    There's room to add another cabinet to the island, which you can't do with the shape your designer recommended plus it won't require custom shaped cabinets. The center portion is for counter support only, not storage.

    Here are a few more photos of curved island seating for inspiration.

    Hershey PA Farmhouse Kitchen Remodel · More Info

    2017 Artisan Home · More Info

    Austonian Luxury Condo · More Info

    Before you settle on an island shape, mock it up with cardboard and make sure you can reach the center of it to clean the counter.

    Is the T for the cab next to the sink a trash pull-out? If so, I strongly encourage you to go with a single bowl sink with an off-set drain and put a trash pull-out under the sink instead. You have limited cabinet storage in your kitchen so I don't think you should give up a cabinet to trash.

    Here's my trash pull-out under my sink. It works really well!

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I am a fabricator. I think a mostly rectangular island with a shallow arc will actually give you one more seat (1 on each end plus 3 on the long side) and it won't require expensive custom cabinetry. I like an arc, even a shallow one. A straight rectangle to me is boring.

  • 8 years ago

    We currently have an island with a shallow arc and considering changing it to a rectangular. I have two pix attached, one of our current kitchen island and one of the one I want (however. ours won't be quite as big)).

    Reason we are considering changing the 'look' is because we are replacing countertops (switching from 6 x 6 off white tiles to Labradorite blue granite on the island, and leather dolce vita quartzite on the parameter countertops), and looking to make the most of the Labradorite.

    This is our kitchen currently. NEXT post will have the picture of the island we are considered changing it to (but ours will be much smaller).


  • 8 years ago

  • 8 years ago
    Is there a design reason that you did not like the arc? And prefer changing to a rectangle.
  • 8 years ago

    HI Emily - I posted this above:

    Reason we are considering changing the 'look' is because we are replacing countertops switching from 6 x 6 off white tiles to Labradorite blue granite on the island,, which is a very expensive stone, and looking to make the most use of the Labradorite since we can not use it elsewhere in the house.

  • 8 years ago
    Here’s another option. I am replacing this breakfast area with a square butcher block table that will be anchored to island in a similar fashion.