0

New home office ready for the Houzz touch.

Amoeba-meba
last modified: May 13, 2018

This room was recently converted to a home office. I've been working with temporary furnishings until I was sure of how the room needs to function.

The room is small at only 116x93. All measurements on the floor plan are in inches.

The only things I want to keep from the room are the window shades. My style is mainly MCM and I love color.

I'll need a fairly large desk, a desk chair, a file cabinet, a bookcase and maybe a guest chair. I think I'd like to add a low-pile rug (or FLOR tiles) to absorb some sound and probably a new fun light fixture for the ceiling.

I'm not interested in doing built-ins, since this is not our forever-house.

Any layout and design suggestions welcome. I'll add some photos of other rooms in the house that I've redone with Houzz help to give a better idea of the style. I haven't had a room that's completely mine in a long time and I want to have fun in here!

Comments (1K)

• Ann

I prefer the charcoal also.

Amoeba-meba thanked Ann
  • Amoeba-meba

Second guessing my shades choice. Argh!

• Steven Moreno

If you love color try going with a nice simple but colorful wallpaper. Maybe even a floral design!

Amoeba-meba thanked Steven Moreno
  • Amoeba-meba

Ok. Disregard the last options I posted. This manufacturer cannot do a slim headrail. These shades would stick out too far and not be within my window frame. Walking away... Now back to the paint color...

• babophz

No second guessing necessary! With the tiles (those ... tiles!) I think you made the right choice. Now breathe in, and breathe out slowly ;-)

Amoeba-meba thanked babophz
  • miss lindsey (still misses Sophie)

I like the first one a lot.

Is part of the challenge the mirror reflection? You'll rarely see the room from the angle that you're doing the mock-ups from. Most often the door will be shut unless you're walking into the room, and in that case I would imagine you'll be looking at the place you're headed: the toilet, not the mirror!

What gets reflected when you're sitting on the can and when you're looking in the mirror? That's the view you'll most often have!

Amoeba-meba thanked miss lindsey (still misses Sophie)
  • wsea

I’ve been following but haven’t contributed as everything was covered. One idea I had that I have not seen suggested is possibly getting a shade that is color matched to the wall color. It would disappear when down and not compete with the floor.

I think that would look very cohesive and present as a single space, not chopped up with all the varying surfaces.

Amoeba-meba thanked wsea
  • Justin Branstetter

I would go with a mid-century modern look, with floating shelves.

Amoeba-meba thanked Justin Branstetter
  • Amoeba-meba

Breathing in... breathing out...

• hollybar

At this point, I'd wait for the shade to arrive since you are still so conflicted on colour.

Amoeba-meba thanked hollybar
  • Laura

Hi! I've also been following along, but I can't remember if this has been suggested and eliminated. What about really dark green walls? It seems like you might be able to find a color that would relate to both the darkest green in the wallpaper and the greener tones in the floor. Something like this:

I can't wait to see where you end up because your finished rooms are always so fun and quirky and you have the ability to pull things together in a really creative way that my brain never could. It's really fun to watch! :)

Amoeba-meba thanked Laura
  • Amoeba-meba

lindsey: This is the view when sitting. I think I might paint the man a lighter color so he doesn't blend too much into the dark wall. It'll be great to have the new mirror centered on this wall.

• Amoeba-meba

Laura: My stairwell actually has the color you described. BM Knoxville Gray - It's a greenish gray. This color would probably work well in the PR, but I feel it may be too expected. maybe?

• Laura

I was wondering if it would be too matchy for you, but I keep coming back to it when I look at your floor. Love the color in your stairwell!

ETA: You could bring in the unexpected with your ceiling. I love the idea of critters peaking down.

Amoeba-meba thanked Laura
  • Ann

I'm sort of hoping you wimp out a little and don't go quite so dark. With the tile, I think it's all looking too dreary. Dark is a fine idea, but maybe not quite so intense and with white trim. Of course this is just my opinion. I love the other rooms you've done, so you have a good track record for getting it right, but this one concerns me a little. In the past, you've had a lot of really bold ideas, but in the end, you usually pull back just a little and the results have been great - fun but not something one would tire of in a month.

Amoeba-meba thanked Ann
  • Ann

Amoeba, do you like the pic of the bathroom Laura posted today? I think it looks great. As you might guess, I love the white trim with the white sink with the white in the art. Those make the dark paint look cool, modern, and dramatic - but not dreary.

Amoeba-meba thanked Ann
  • lisalane

What about trying a darker charcoal, almost black - such as BM Cheating Heart. A test might be worth it. Would be super dramatic.

Amoeba-meba thanked lisalane
  • lisalane

keep breathing Amoeba.

Amoeba-meba thanked lisalane
  • happyleg

Yes for stairway that color for entry. The bathroom can be painted a hunter green. U would see the head good.

Amoeba-meba thanked happyleg
  • Amoeba-meba

I think I may have to send my husband for paint swatches next time. I'm starting to feel guilty every time I go in and only leave with swatches.

Flo Mangan

No worries, I do this all the time!

Amoeba-meba thanked Flo Mangan
  • miss lindsey (still misses Sophie)

One of our local paint stores does not allow people to take samples. One of the major brands. Ridiculous.

• katinparadise

I see so many warm colors in your floor. What about something like SW Urbane Bronze? It does have some gray tones but it's warm as well.

Amoeba-meba thanked katinparadise
  • Amoeba-meba

katinparadise & Ann: I looked at Urbane Bronze. It's a lovely color, but has too much brown in it for me.

Flo Mangan

I think you will love that Cabernet. Has just the right touch of purple, but enough Chroma to get the tone you want.

Amoeba-meba thanked Flo Mangan
  • babophz

The room that Laura posted is beautiful, but of course the floor in that pic is a nice neutral black/white. I feel about the green like I do about the Cabernet, imo it your tiles will not do it any favours and vice versa. I think that if you'd really want a colour like that, you'd need to tackle the floor.

Amoeba-meba thanked babophz
  • Amoeba-meba

I had some gray paint (Behr Shadow Mountain) left over from painting the vent in my office, so I slapped some on the wall. I put some up on the left, but then thought it would be too shaded under the sink, so put some more up on the right as well. I think it makes the floor look less orange, which I like, but still letting it percolate. The Kendall Charcoal is percolating as well...

I've been talking to my artist friend about the ceiling and am excited to see what she comes up with. Babophz: Thanks for making the comment suggesting Lichtenstein's Oh Jeff. It got me thinking about my friend and the quirky cartoons she draws.

• babophz

"I think it makes the floor look less orange". YES!!!

Amoeba-meba thanked babophz
  • Ann

That gray looks black on my monitor, so I must not be seeing it correctly.

Amoeba-meba thanked Ann
    Flo Mangan
    Mine too. For as little floor as in that space, why don’t you get rid of that tile and put new in that suits your ethos?
    Amoeba-meba thanked Flo Mangan
  • Ann

Tile work is a fairly manageable DIY job. We aren't DIY people, but we have quite successfully put in new tile a few times.

Amoeba-meba thanked Ann
  • lisalane
    I vote for dark charcoal if you don’t change the floor tile. Purple and yellow/orange are complementary colors so the purple really makes the floor stand out - maybe not so desirable. I think it is a fun challenge to work with your existing floor if it is in good condition, which it appears to be. I love the direction you are headed with a light filtering, solid shade and a surprise ceiling. Your leaf man, new mirror and art will top it off. Maybe even new lighting is in order?, especially with dark walls.
    Amoeba-meba thanked lisalane
  • happyleg

I like it, tt really looks planned out.

Amoeba-meba thanked happyleg
  • Amoeba-meba

I would love to replace the tile and even looked at some period-appropriate styles at one point. I’m pretty certain that moving this toilet to get to the tile will cause more headaches than it is worth. I don’t want to mess with old plumbing if there is no urgent need.

• babophz

Sometimes it is possible to tile over tiles without moving the toilet. I have no idea if this would work in your case...

If you're keeping the current ones, well, you know what my preferred wall colour is :-)

Amoeba-meba thanked babophz
  • babophz

Did you see this pic in a Houzz story the other day? Made me think of your dilemma. Gorgeous. Gotta love the Ingo Maurer wall lights too.

Brixton Townhouse II · More Info

Amoeba-meba thanked babophz
  • Laura Hill
    Hi Amoeba, moving the toilet isn’t likely to be much of a problem. You just need to make sure the tile thickness is the same as your old tile. (And you’ll need a new wax ring when you re-seat the toilet). We have a 100+ year old house, with old plumbing and toilets originally installed ages ago - no problems temporarily moving in order to tile the floors. Good luck with this latest project! I’ve been following all of your threads and love the way your home is coming together!
    Amoeba-meba thanked Laura Hill
  • Amoeba-meba

It’s like a giant gemstone!

Unfortunately the PR is still in rough shape, so this beauty won’t be hung for a while. Still a bit of repair work to be done.

I think I’ve decided on a color for the walls - probably BM Amherst Gray. It’s on the same color card as Kendall Charcoal, just a tiny bit lighter.

And the window shade will be delivered this weekend!

Since we’re traveling this weekend my hope is to get everything together the following weekend. Fingers crossed!

Flo Mangan
    Awesome mirror. It will expand everything in your room. Looking forward to end product! Have a good weekend. Houston Chevron Half Marathon this Sunday and our family arrives in about an hour!
    Amoeba-meba thanked Flo Mangan
  • Ann

That's a nice color. My daughter just painted her entire home interior, with the help of a designer. She used Gray Owl on most walls. Then the designer jumped off of that color strip for the accent color of Chelsea Gray in a couple spots and Amherst Gray for the interior of the front door. The house is very open so each color was very visible to the other. It worked out nicely and the Amherst Gray is a very nice gray.

Amoeba-meba thanked Ann
  • babophz

Amoeba, you surprise me. There's no Benjamin Moore over here, so I had to look online. The Amherst Gray seems a bit, er, tame to me. Could be the monitor, but after I googled it, there were all these transitional spaces done in this colour. I fear it lacks the drama that you were looking for and I'm not sure it goes with your fun personality and dito house (read on, though). Did you try a patch in the PR?

The mirror is a stunner, I love it. Combined with some funky art (on the ceiling???) and the scary head it will give you plenty of pizzazz - it may be enough to uplift the more subdued grey. I'd probably do something crazy with the head, then, like painting it a bright pink or green or silver. Not gold, cause we want to forget the floor, not emphasise it :)

Amoeba-meba thanked babophz
  • Ellen Tracy
    Beautiful mirror.
    Amoeba-meba thanked Ellen Tracy
  • babophz

Kept thinking about your attraction to BM Amherst Gray. The thing is, it's so very different from what you were drawn to earlier, like the in-your-face purple. It also looks less dramatic than the grey you had in your foyer before you switched to white. If you decided to go for something more subdued, then it's probably a lovely colour (I really can't tell from my monitor), assuming that it goes with the tiles. As I said yesterday, you can jazz it up. However, if you feel like you have to settle for a colour, or if you lost your nerves (?), you may want to keep looking.

Hope you're having a lovely weekend!

Amoeba-meba thanked babophz
  • lisalane

Amoeba, found this removable wallpaper on Etsy and thought it could be super fun on your PR ceiling.

Amoeba-meba thanked lisalane
  • Amoeba-meba

Top left color is Knoxville Gray - my original foyer color
    Top right color is Rockport Gray - my next foyer color with the Fornasetti faces
    Bottom left color is Cabernet - the purple I tried on
    Bottom middle color is Kendall Charcoal -
    Bottom right color is Amherst Gray -

The lighting is not ideal this morning, so here's a photo without artificial light and one with.

I'm thinking that the Kendall Charcoal may be too dark and the Amherst Gray might be better since I'm still planning to paint all the trim the same color. Hopefully to achieve something like this (minus the beautiful floor and molding).

Dramatic Traditional Powder Room · More Info

• Amoeba-meba

lisalane: That's a cool wallpaper! I will definitely keep it in mind in case my artist friend backs out on making something for me. The ceiling really needs some pizzaz.

• babophz

"minus the beautiful floor and molding" LOL! It's hard to judge from a monitor, both Kendall and Amherst look good with the floor to me. The paint in the picture that you just posted is quite a bit darker than the Amherst, though. I'm not sure you will have that wow-effect as that PR provides, especially because the white floor sets it off even more.

On the other hand, doing all the walls will make the colour darker, and maybe you would indeed find the Kendall too dark for your taste. You seem to really like the Amherst, so why don't you just try it? If you find it a bit meh after a while, repainting it will not be a major job.

Amoeba-meba thanked babophz
  • Amoeba-meba

I wish I were at the painting stage in this project. I haven't had much time to prep the walls and trim. I think with everything being all one color, you'll be able to see the imperfections even more. I really dislike prep work. I've been dragging my heels a bit.

On a brighter note, the window shade has arrived!

• Ann

Sounds like you have a good plan. I'm sure it will be great as all your other rooms have been.

Amoeba-meba thanked Ann
  • happyleg

Don't do glossy, a satin finish shouldn't be bad. Face the fear & do it. You'll be glad u did.