Software
Houzz Logo Print
spam59

Need advice on kitchen island

8 years ago
I'd like to extend my island - got rid of my kitchen table. Not sure what to do. Should I just extend it and make a counter height table that accommodates 5 additional seat or do i drop the extended piece to table height? Also, does this hurt resale value if I don't have a spot for a kitchen table - I have a decent size dining room. Also, what type of professional would I hire to help me with this relatively small project? Thanks for any and all help with this.

Comments (18)

  • 8 years ago
    Can you provide the dimensions of current island and area for table?
  • 8 years ago

    following

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    You hire a pro KD for this . ........ before you decide to block french doors to a deck with an immoveable island.

  • 8 years ago
    The island is 3’ x 5’. I am a bit worried about the “immovable island” but then I think - what difference does it make - I’d always have something there - either the island or a table.
  • 8 years ago

    I don't see where you have any room to extend that island. I would not extend it into what should be a round table breakfast nook area, and I would not block the french doors. Islands need to stay in the kitchen area, they don't expand out to other areas. Extending that island would look very strange, and no, I would not do that. And yes, that would hurt resale. People do odd things for whatever reason and then other people just have to pay to put it back to how it should be.

  • 8 years ago
    If you have a dining room ...why do you need to extend the kitchen table ? Why not just add a custom made extension out of wood ..to add when needed ..and take it away when not needed ???
  • 8 years ago

    without seeing the wall opposite the french doors.... you need to think in terms that you are enlarging your kitchen, not just extending the island into the dining room. now it may be that opposite the french doors are more kitchen cabinets and then while the longer island could make traffic patterns difficult, at least it would still all look like kitchen. if there arent cabinets there, well, that would look kind of bad.

    also you'll need another pendant, or 2, cant tell.

  • 8 years ago
    I have the same style kitchen. I made mine a t with a raised bar at the former dining area. It’s actually smaller than my kitchen table and chairs were. Look at my kitchen idea book for attached dining to island ideas.
  • 8 years ago

    I agree with keeping the island in the kitchen, not extending, rather than turning it into a continent.

  • 8 years ago

    It's hard to give advice without knowing the real dimensions -- distance to that pillar, say. Agree that an island might be more of a traffic block than a table (since you lose the route between the island and table), but it might not be a big deal if you don't use those doors for much of the year.

    Why did you get rid of the table? What was good or bad about having it, and what were you hoping you woud get out of the change to a combination island? We're a bit short of information to give really good advice. (Motivation, photos of the missing walls/directions, dimensions...)

  • 8 years ago

    I think it would look better if the island extension had a curved end to it (curved towards the patio door), similar to the ones pictured below.

    Larchmont Kitchen · More Info

    The Woodshop of Avon · More Info

    I wouldn't extend it to take up the same amount of space as the table. I think that will make it look out of scale to the kitchen. Plus, as pointed out above, that large an island will interfere with access to the patio door (as acm pointed out, you can walk around both sides of a table but only around one end of an island).

    Make sure you allow generous aisles around it, especially between the curved end and the sink counter's corner so that you don't create pinch points. Do you remember enough math from school to calculate diagonal measurements? If not, here's a refresher for you, Pythagoreum theorum.

    I'd mock it up, too. Cardboard, plywood or an inexpensive counter height table (try Craigslist) would help you make sure that you like the plan before you spend $$ on a permanent change.I also think consulting a KD would be money well spent.

  • 8 years ago
    So here are pics of the rest of the kitchen - hopefully now you can see there is a ton of empty space - 10feet between the end of island and the column.
  • 8 years ago
    I love the dogs.
  • 8 years ago
    Someone suggested it above, a round end. I think it works with the space
  • 8 years ago
    How much seating do you need?...maybe just replacing and enlarging the top of the island (to make room for two more chairs at the end )...would work.....if it looks top heavy you could add some nice legs (designed to go with the cabinets)....on the corners...
  • 8 years ago
    We just recently added a round table to the end of our island adding room for 3 people to sit instead of 1. Plenty of room to still get around etc but much better for entertaining and eating etc.
  • 8 years ago
    Here is what I have had for the last 15 years. It has worked well for us. We can sit 3 at the island and 5 at the 50” round breakfast area. We eat almost all our meals here. We do have a formal dining room also.