Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_5721134634653919

HELP! Can this granite seam be repaired? Or less noticeable?

8 years ago
Our granite was just installed and this is a pic of the awful granite edge seam that is in a highly visible place on our kitchen.

At first it looked like one big jagged colorless line. To fix it, he took a razorblade to the granite and this is the end result.

Any suggestions?? We have already been going round and round with the contractor on other issues - this is just going to add to the nightmare.

Comments (28)

  • 8 years ago
    Any suggestions?? Would a granite repair kit help this?
  • 8 years ago

    i have a million questions but i will start with....
    WHY is there a seam on the side?

  • 8 years ago

    "i have a million questions but i will start with....
    WHY is there a seam on the side?"


    Built up edge to make the granite appears thicker. Sloppily done however.

  • 8 years ago

    Was it 2cm granite? because it already looks like its standard thickness?

  • 8 years ago

    Sure looks like 1 5/8" - 1 3/4" to me which would be (2) pcs 2 cm thick.

  • 8 years ago
    Yes, I believe it's two pieces. Not home to measure the thickness.

    Attached is another pic where the seam looks a lot better. Not sure what happened on this damaged side???

    We tried asking him the million questions and got little response with his limited English...so frustrating.

    My biggest question is how do we fix this? Do we need to replace the entire slab??
  • 8 years ago
    Any reputable Granite repair company can fix that. You can request a pro on Houzz to give you an estimate or look for granite repair in yelp. I have had great success reaching out with both.
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I could make that section much less conspicuous for about $500.00 or so if you were local.

    "My biggest question is how do we fix this? Do we need to replace the entire slab??"

    No, the entire slab doesn't need to be replaced, but you need a diamond burr and the only place I know where to get it is with the deluxe FillaChip kit which costs about $500.00. I don't even have one yet, but that crap lamination would damn near disappear if I did.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Joseph: Are those granite pieces that you epoxy-ed (?) in to repair missing chunks, and then ground down and polished? Looks great!

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Sammy:

    When I made the new sink cutout for that job, my saw blade bisected the original grinder slot made to hold the original sink clips. Nuthin' I can do but fix it, 'cause the new sink goes where it goes. The replacement stone is taken from the old cutout drops, shaped, fitted, then adhered in place with color matched methacrylate. I freehand them to near flush with a grinder, take 'em home to flush with a water bottle misted 60 grit, then polish.

    If this happens on your job, I'm not saying a thing, because you can never "unsee" it if I point it out and you'll never find it if I don't. Look for the beginning of the arc to the right in the middle of the last picture or for the three larger dark particulates in each picture. And remember, unless you're scrubbing, your face is never that close to that edge.

    Some are better than others:

  • 8 years ago
    The contractor said he's going to send someone out to fix the granite. Hopefully, I can post pics soon with an acceptable repair.

    Thank you for the feedback. Its comforting to know the slab doesn't need to repaired since this would just open up a whole new can of worms.
  • 8 years ago
    I meant ..."doesn't need to be replaced"
  • 8 years ago
    So glad it all worked out!
  • 8 years ago
    Hood pic was for another post - my mistake.

    Joseph - the contractor is sending someone out to repair the chips. Is there a certain approach I should make sure they do to fix the side. I don't want them to try to do another awful quick fix for us
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Explain that you’re going to be reasonable and give them one chance to fix it, so they better get it right this time.

  • 8 years ago

    Glad you like it. 1/4" was a bit egregious for what was there, 1/16" or 1/8" was probably sufficient. As long as you are happy with how it looks. There was however, never a reason for it to look that bad to start with.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Excellent.

  • 8 years ago
    I agree Super L...the fact that he walked away from it the first time as a "finished product" is ridiculous.
  • 8 years ago

    nice work. it looks better

  • 8 years ago

    Oh yes, so much better. Glad you got it fixed!

  • 8 years ago
    Me, too Crl! Spent years of waiting for a kitchen with new countertops!
  • 8 years ago
    Glad you got it fixed! What is this granite?
  • 8 years ago
    Thanks, Amy. Yes, its granite.
  • 8 years ago
    I meant what is the name of this granite? I like it.
  • 8 years ago
    This is Crema Atlantico. It has a cream background with specks of black and gray.
  • 8 years ago
    Thank you! I really like it. I am trying to pick a granite. What color did you paint your cabinets?
  • 8 years ago
    We are putting in cream cabinets and a dark gray/black matte island.