Software
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_marie83

CRAZY how Fast things happen

8 years ago

my lawn is getting more and more fungal issues, I put down Bayer tonight and Ringer, as I didn't use anything for a month and I get dollar spot ( if you ask why I put down N in heat ) anyways, I was driving tonight really paying attention to all the homes in the area and their lawns and OMG, made me sick, for like 4 blocks almost every and i mean every lawn had fungal issues, I really don't pay attention to other people's lawns but tonight did and I was in utter disbelief, thought i'd share ;) it's an epidemic here Lol In good ole Pittsburgh PA

Comments (20)

  • 8 years ago

    No, I Do and a few others also but I never saw so much damage on lawns since I moved here from MA it's crazyyyyyyyyyy

  • 8 years ago

    Heat will do that. Has it been abnormally hot lately in your area?

  • 8 years ago

    Not really like high eighties, we get rain bursts that don't last long and super humid, a week we has in the nineties but that was all for abnormal heat

  • 8 years ago

    Do you use the dry granular type fungicide (systemic) ?

  • 8 years ago

    Yes

  • 8 years ago

    Here in NJ I'm seeing lawns of all types, residential and commercial, that are surely treated in very different ways, and many of them have fungus. Some have severe outbreaks. I'm keeping my eye on the neighbor two doors down. He has a nice lawn with no fungus last I checked. He irrigates every night or other night.

  • 8 years ago

    I think some people use a combination of systemic and liquid fungicide spray- when the out break is really crazy !

  • 8 years ago

    I just discovered the tiniest bit of brown patch myself, and i used corn as a (weak) preventative this spring. For me, this is an extreme rarity!

  • 8 years ago

    Lisa, Did you get the blue bayer bottles at home depot?I was using that same stuff and spent over $100 for 5 bottles and it didnt do a good job.Well I found out it only has 2% active ingredient in it, No wonder.I bought online and got the commercial stuff that lawn companies use with 14% active ingredient.A gallon cost me $87..That will last me for a looong time.The active ingredient is called propiconazole

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I have it here the banner Maxx generic, I am scared to spray my front lawn Lol I did the back ( which is a mess ) I have a Labrador, it's his world back there hahahaha, but I use the Granular Bayer and I put down some Ringer too... it's all staying at bay for the most part ..trying not to Obsess as much it is what it is at this point, done w chemicals for this season. and Fert till Fall. where r you and do you have fungus?

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I been battling fungus for about 6 weeks..I am in north georgia.I have a warm season grass called bermuda and I have a few small brown circles in my lawn..They are suppose to go away but it takes some time.I am still waiting lol..I just sprayed my first application of the 14 % propiconazole I got online this past weekend. So hopefully this stronger stuff will knock it out for good.Gonna do another application not this upcoming weekend but the next.I also had the spider webs on the lawn early in the morning when the dew was visable when I first got the fungus.I no longer see those in the morning but I still have the brown spots..They dont seem to be going away like I was hoping for.

  • 8 years ago

    Randy, think about this for next time. Since 2002 I have had excellent results using ordinary cornmeal to kill fungal disease in my St Augustine. I have reported it since then and have gotten enough feedback to confidently say that it works in warm season grasses, but not so much in northern grasses. But it requires a healthy population of fungi in the soil to begin with. If you apply a chemical fungicide first, the corn meal will not work. So for next time, or if you still see it in 6 weeks, try the corn meal. If the spots are small then use a heaping handful of cornmeal. If you want to do the entire yard, the app rate is 20 pounds per 1,000 square feet.

  • 8 years ago

    I think lawn enthusiasts go way overboard. Lisa, it is not standard practice in my area to use fungicides like you do as if it were standard cultural practice. I suspect Pittsburgh may be hot and humid, but so is the Cleveland area. Maybe not as much. We don't sweat dollar spot, red thread, powdery mildew or even an isolated fairly ring. I honestly believe these fungicides build up resistance and you have an even worse situation on your hands. Not to mention that many of these agents do harm to the beneficial soil microbes and earthworms.


    I've said it in the past, but anyone who cares that much about their lawns needs to consider nuking the old and going with newer cultivars of their grass of choice. There is no comparison.

  • 8 years ago

    mish my KBG has done quite well until the last two years in which I got hammered with fungus. I do all the organic apps and all that good stuff yet it got so bad I had to bring in new patches of sod here and there last fall. This year I decided to go with fungal treatment to see what happens. It wasn't my desire to do that but I didn't think I had a choice. So far it has prevented a problem in one of the bad sections of lawn last year, and does not seem to have helped in another section. I don't like it as a long term solution.

    I've considered nuking the lawn and trying something new but I'm hesitant to put something in that ends up having the same problem. My sod was laid about 5 years ago so I have to think it is a more modern variety or blend. I do not know exactly what it is and I'm pretty sure the guys who laid it down don't, either.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Maybe I've been lucky. The worst damage to date for me has been grubs. Thankfully I recognized it in time and didn't have much damage.

    If it were me struggling with fungal issues year after year, i might try transitional zone practices such as no fertilizer from may until fall arrives. ive also had great success in the garden with Serenade. Anyone ever try that prophylactically through summer?

    As for sod, most sod I have seen is nothing special. Just like seeds sold at the big box stores, sod is grown and sold for the price, not quality. There are exceptions of course, but you have to really look to find good sod. A good sod grower will list their grass types and cultivars used.

  • 8 years ago

    Jeez....this is like the rich complaining about being poor.....



  • 8 years ago

    @mishmosh, good points. I made one organic fert app in May and nothing else because of the fungus issue. Interesting point about the sod. I'm not sure whether to think it's a low priced slab of grass, or to give the growers more credit for making a good blend. I did a little research into different KBG's and their properties and when I was done I was basically confused. It was hard to differentiate one from the next in terms of disease resistance and good color, for example.

    I haven't tried serenade but I did use corn meal for awhile. Didn't seem to help any that I could tell.

    @joe, I feel lucky that my lawn looks as good right now has it has all year, even with just the one Oceangro app in May. However, the fungal problems are real. I can tell you I don't want to be buying more sod and patching dead areas again this year! That's what drove me to the anti fungal products.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I am getting good results by topdressing those brown fungal circles with finished compost from my earth machine compost bin.That seems to be fixing them.I need some more time to know for sure.

    I have also been putting this compost in weak/thin areas I have.Only thing that sucks is if I get a heavy rain it washes away from the spot I top dressed .Thats the downside from a living on a hill :(

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Just to touch upon Serenade again. I just noticed that Bayer bought out the maker of Serenade. Interesting to see a Giant buy in to what was a little known secret of home gardeners.

    https://cropscience.bayer.us/products/fungicides/serenade-aso

    https://reuters.com/article/bayer-agraquest-idUSL6E8I40NN20120704