Software
Houzz Logo Print
becky22546

Walk-in pantry design guidelines?

8 years ago

Does anyone know where I can find some design standards/guidelines for a walk-in pantry? I read through the "new to kitchens forum" posts and didn't see anything about walk-in pantries. I have a 12'x9' room that I'm trying to divide into a pantry and office. (I'm not sure if the spaces will be divided with a wall, or just visually divided with furniture.) The office will be used for bill paying & meal planning, so it doesn't need to be huge. A desk and a couple of file cabinets will suffice. I've never had a walk-in pantry so I'm not sure how much space I'll need. I know I want room for freezer, wine fridge & lots of shelves...maybe a couple of cabinets w/ counter space. I just don't know how deep the shelves should be, nor how big the pantry should be. Are there standard sizes for walk-in pantries?

Comments (13)

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    If the exterior wall is 9' wide and the depth of the room is 12', accessible from a hallway or other room through another 9' wide wall, then you could make your office 9'x9' by the window in the room and make the other (first) 3' as you enter the room your "pantry" by making 3' wide floor to ceiling built to the wall cabinets on each side of the 9' width -- about 2 1/2' deep. You'd be walking into and through a 3' "hallway" that doubles as a pantry to get to your study. With doors to hide the content, such cabients could be storage for any items, including not just kitchen but also office stuff.



    If the exterior wall is 12' and the room is only 9' deep, that's a different issue and what rooms are around it from which you might gain access to either the study or pantry matter. Alternately, you might just be better served adding storage cabinets to the "study" and use them for whatever you choose without actually dividing the room.

    Becky thanked suezbell
  • 8 years ago

    <<<Following >>>

  • 8 years ago

    There aren't any standards for walk-in pantries. Are there any windows in this space?

    Becky thanked shirlpp
  • 8 years ago

    Floor plan showing door opening/swing and window(s) would be helpful. Otherwise you'll just get a lot of info you might not can use.

    Becky thanked Allison0704
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I agree we need a floor plan and also how the space is connected to the surrounding space. I for one don’t like WIP I think they are a waste of space, rarely as functional as you think I.love a wall of pullout pantries 100% better. If you have an island you can use your laptop for paying bills and meal planning . I have a TV in my kitchen where I am hooked to the internet and can look up recipes on a nice big screen

    Becky thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I appreciate all the comments. Attached is a floor plan showing how the pantry/office works with the rooms around it. Currently I only have 1 door into the space, but I've been told there is room to add a 2nd door under the stairs. (We are still framing the house, so I can still make some changes.) Of course if I add a door under the stairs, I'll need find another spot for the mudroom "drop zone".

    Alternately, you might just be better served adding storage cabinets to the "study" and use them for whatever you choose without actually dividing the room.

    I've considered this and like the idea that it is flexible and can change cabinets uses as our needs change. One hesitation is that my husband will mix & match office/pantry supplies and it will drive me crazy! I'd also like to have an "open door" policy on my pantry for family/friends and don't want to worry about someone seeing financial documents on the desk if they go in the pantry for crackers.

    I for one don’t like WIP I think they are a waste of space, rarely as functional as you think I.love a wall of pullout pantries 100% better. If you have an island you can use your laptop for paying bills and meal planning . I have a TV in my kitchen where I am hooked to the internet and can look up recipes on a nice big screen

    Interesting. I still need the WIP for the full size freezer and under counter wine fridge & bulk storage. (A lot of our pantry space will be for storing things we buy in bulk...water, paper towels, etc.) Would it make sense to just put a pullout pantry for the non-bulk food in the WIP? That would probably cost more since it is cabinets vs shelving, but I'm willing to spend more if it helps with organization. Using the island for laptop/bill paying will not work in my house. It would end up living there. Love your idea of the TV for recipes!

    I'd recommend focusing on what you want/need to store in the area, and then you can design the storage to accommodate that.

    Thanks for the tips. I'll also note, that we are going to wait to put shelving/cabinets in the pantry until after we move into the house. This will allow us to put extra $ on the kitchen cabinets now and try to get a better "feel" for how we will actually use the pantry space before we invest in cabinets/shelves. I do however want to get a good plan together in case we need to add a wall or door to separate the spaces.

    (BTW, there will be a prep sink in the island that is not shown. Any cabinets shown were drawn by the drafter and are not our final cabinet design.)

  • 8 years ago

    I've never had a walk-in pantry so I'm not sure how much space I'll need.

    The best thing you can do is to make an inventory list of everything you think you would store in the pantry, and the quantities of each. There aren't any standards because each homeowner's needs are unique. That said, this page might be helpful,

    http://starcraftcustombuilders.com/kitchen.pantry.htm

    I have a walk-in pantry in our new house and I love it. I cook all of our meals, plus we farm and have our own beef, chickens, turkeys, eggs, and also freeze a lot of fruit and vegetables from the garden, and make things like jams, jellies, and sauerkraut in a big crock.

    On one side of the pantry we have upper and lower cabinets with several outlets. On the other side, one all-freezer and our old fridge (which will be replaced by an all-fridge), and the rest of the wall has tall steel shelving.

    Becky thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Seriously consider investing in a lockable cabinet for private documents. You can even get cabinets that are wardrobe sized (about 6') with locks ... or just add your own lock.


    FYI: You could use upscale wood two drawer filing cabinets as bedside tables or as end/side tables in any room ... and many of them come with locks.

    Becky thanked suezbell
  • 8 years ago

    Seeing the floor plan of your "pantry", consider moving the windows over closer to the garage.


    You might want to not add the door where shown; instead, after adding your pantry cabinets on both sides of the room within the first 3' or so, then put the door to the study beyond the pantry cabinets, including cabinets/storage beneath the stairs for both the pantry space and the study space.



    You could use a pocket door -- or a pair of narrow pocket doors that slide together -- to close off the study




    You could use a pair of saloon doors that swing to close off the study that wouldn't require as much clearance as they open in either direction


    https://www.mrn-china.org/bar-room-swinging-doors.html;





    if you need the door to the study to lock for privacy, then, with the door (between the study and the pantry space) opening outward, you could add a dead bolt lock that requires a key from both/either side to lock/unlock it. Then use an attractive door handle without a lock (rather than a standard door knob) for the handle to the door -- think front entry door hardware.


    https://homeguides.sfgate.com/put-curtains-front-door-drilling-54714.html


    Becky thanked suezbell
  • 8 years ago

    I think the space will be much more enjoyable to use if you don’t divide it up. If you’re worried about people seeing private documents, perhaps consider an old fashioned roll top desk (you could even get one that locks). That would allow you to easily close it up when not in use.

    Becky thanked Kristin S
  • 8 years ago

    Consider using the Fridge side and the windows as your desk space. You can create an L shaped desk and put lockable cabinets underneath. The rest of the space is for your freezer, wine storage and shelves.

    Becky thanked shirlpp
  • 8 years ago

    I've had a lot going on with the house, so I'm late responding, but thank you all for the great advice!! You've given me lots of ideas. I'm curious, has anyone successfully used book shelves as room dividers? I'm nervous about building walls for a tiny room when I'm not completely sold on the layout. If we hate it and decide to rip it down, we will need to patch the floors. If we use book shelves, we can just rearrange them. My husband thinks it will look tacky.

    @beckysharp, that link has exactly what I need in it! Thank you!!!! Your pantry sounds lovely!

    @suezbell, I hadn't considered saloon doors. If we do split it into the 2 rooms, those might be the perfect door! I don't think I need to lock everything, as this is more an effort to "keep the honest, honest". KWIM? I don't invite many folks to my home that would go into a room if they weren't invited, but if a desk is in the room they might look at the documents laying on it. (I wish it weren't the case, but we suck at filing papers.)

    @KristinS, a roll top desk is a good idea. Even if we leave it up most of the time, that is a quick thing to close when someone drops by the house unexpectedly.

    @shirlpp, if we build a wall (of fake bookshelf wall) we will likely do as you're suggesting. Thanks for the idea.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH