Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_svensson59

Oak floor lovers - your best eng. oak floor?

Jennifer Svensson
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Ok, I feel like I’ve looked at a millions floor samples and none are quite right! Ugh..

What are your favorite engineered oak floors?

our impossible (?) wishlist;

-wide plank (>7”)

-long(ish) planks

-matte surface /light wirebrushed

-no knots or heavy color variation

-medium/dark soft blond/beige/gray tones without going yellowish

Comments (49)

• armchairshopper
    5 years ago

The phrase “best engineered oak floors” is an oxymoron. However since you want 7” planks, which is something that would be hard to accomplish with a natural oak floor, you have no choice other than an “engineered floor“ (euphemism for plywood).

• Jennifer Svensson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Wow.. I’m not sure what you want to accomplish with that comment but ok.. I imagine you’d preferred if I went with cobblestone or paved stone or something else from the Middle Ages..

• annied75
    5 years ago
    You'll want to look at the European oak engineered wood, which is a nice look. You will have some difficulty finding oak flooring without any knots though.
    Jennifer Svensson thanked annied75
  • Jennifer Svensson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I had no idea.. we’re in Houston. We see a lot of 4-6” widths here. I might want to stay close to 7” then. Thanks for the feedback- appreciate it.

Annied75: my thoughts exactly. I’m ok with some knots etc, that gives some character.. but prefer a select grade, just not looking for a rustic look for this house. :) thank you for the feedback!

• porttownsend
    5 years ago

Check out lumber liquidators French wire brushed oak by Virginia mills. It's a thin engineered floor, but people seem to like it. We just purchased 2100 s.f., but haven't installed it yet.

• PRO
    Oak & Broad
    5 years ago

Jennifer Svensson, do you have pictures you can share of floors that you like?

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

Owens Plank Flooring. Up to 8" widths but the wider widths are unfinished. Random length up to 90".

Owens has a prefinished line in widths up to 5".

Expensive.

• zthar
    5 years ago

I have 7 inch oak floors that I love.:

They are matte finish.

Info Here

Jennifer Svensson thanked zthar
  • PRO
    Uptown Floors
    5 years ago

Your saved floor ideas show some character and then what almost looks like clear grade.

A few clear examples.

#1 - 3 1/4" width

#2 - 4 1/4 & 7 1/4" Random width

#3 - Mild Character 7/14"

#4 - Mild Character - 6 1/4"

Jennifer Svensson thanked Uptown Floors
  • PRO
    Unique Wood Floors
    5 years ago

@ Jennifer Svensson

Check this out. DuChateau is the only wide plank floor that carries a select-grade collection. Hope this will help. :)

THE VERNAL COLLECTION

Jennifer Svensson thanked Unique Wood Floors
  • Scott T
    5 years ago

@zthar, Is that picture of the floor in your house? How long have you had them?

• zthar
    5 years ago

@Scott T

I have had them for 3 years now, and yes that is a picture of my house right after they were installed. Everyone who comes to my house comments on how nice they are. I did a whole house installation except for laundry, bathrooms and garage entry.

My first pick was Mirage but that was ~ twice what these ended up being. And they were very similar in style and color.

• Scott T
    5 years ago

Thanks zthar. I don’t want to hijack the thread, but could you share a whole room type picture? We are looking at this particular floor as well.

• Kesha
    5 years ago

Hi Jennifer, you and I are in the same boat. I'm having a hard time narrowing down flooring within my wants and budget. I considered LVP for a while, but I'm back around to my original desire of engineered hardwood (we are on a slab), european oak/white oak, around 7" planks, not too yellow/orange, no reds, not too dark becuase what we have now my husband hates all the dust and dry grass and dog hair that's so noticeable after just sweeping. I originally thought I wanted light, but now I'm leaning more towards a light/medium, or a good medium tone true brown - not too gray. I've had a hard time finding what I'm envisioning in my head. I want my floors to speak to the style of my house as well.

Currently, my list right now is down to:

-Hallmark, alta vista line is my fave (although I'm somewhat hesitant after reading some bad reviews)

-Palmetto Road - Chalmers line, or Charleston line (but I'm waiting on my installer to receive sample boards, so I haven't seen this in person)

-Teka floors

-Mirage - although I haven't seen this in person

-Some samples from Hardwood Bargains - Jason C has been great to work with!

Jennifer Svensson thanked Kesha
  • PRO
    Oak & Broad
    5 years ago

keshacagle , can you show us some colors you like? What kind of wear layer do these floors have?

• charpell
    5 years ago
    Have you looked at Vintage Hardwood? We went with Hickory, but they have a number of Oak choices that would meet your criteria. The quality is very high - it is a popular option in high end homes in my area.

https://www.vintageflooring.com/ENG/
  • zthar
    5 years ago

@Scott T

Here you go, they were very dusty here as they had just been installed but I hope I gave you enough to get a good idea of them. Also, not sure where you live but message me and I can tell you where I got them. They did a really nice job with installation and as I had been looking for floors for several years, I know their price was really good.

• Jennifer Svensson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@zthar they look great in your space! Good choice!

• nelsmama
    5 years ago

Viking big sky

• Scott T
    5 years ago

@zthar, I can’t seem to message you, but thanks for your help. Just want to confirm your floors are the Medieval Oak?

• Chessie
    5 years ago

"The phrase “best engineered oak floors” is an oxymoron. However since you want 7” planks, which is something that would be hard to accomplish with a natural oak floor, you have no choice other than an “engineered floor“ (euphemism for plywood). "

Stated by a person that clearly has no knowledge of engineered flooring.

Jennifer Svensson thanked Chessie
  • zthar
    5 years ago

@Scott T

Sent you a message. Yes they are medieval.

• Kesha
    5 years ago
    Oakandbroad, here are some pics of flooring I'm considering. I don't have any pics of Palmetto Road as the new color product line came out and my local stores do not have sample boards yet.
    Otherwise, here are pics of Hallmark, TEKA, and a couple brands from the store hardwood bargains.
  • Kesha
    5 years ago
    Some repeats in different light. The TEKA pics are from hardwood bargains. Jason C has been phenomenal to work with.
  • Chessie
    5 years ago

That Hallmark Cambria sample looks horrible. It looks very splintery?

I have never heard of TEKA flooring, but I checked the website and they have some really nice selections. Did you find them locally?? I don't think they are available where I am.

• Kesha
    5 years ago
    Chess yeah, I am slightly concerned about the cambria Hallmark alta vista but I also do appreciate the texture. I can't tell if it will Splinter or not. So I need to do some tests. however, the Cambria is the color and the flooring that is in the top running. My best friend, who also loves home decor has been helping me in my decision. I'm trying to find a floor that matches the Hue that I'm looking for a floor with at least 4-5mm0top wear layer and that is Madewell, by a company that stands behind its product.

the Teka brand, I found by one of the flooring professionals on house replying to one of my threads. but I also found it on hardwood bargains.

the flooring samples I have from Teka are very nice. And have a 5.4 mm where layer I believe. but the two color samples that I have from Teka are not what I'm looking for.

I'm having a hard time picking a flooring. This week I've swayed back to LVP maybe. I can't wait to make a decision.
  • Kesha
    5 years ago
    Teka brand, is sourced from German wood, supposedly.
  • Chessie
    5 years ago

http://www.tekaparquet.com/

Located in Java, Indonesia. Probably not German wood.

• Jennifer Svensson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So, I never did find my dream floor. :( Looks like we’re going with Kentwood brushed oak Saluki which is a grayish medium brown.

• Kesha
    5 years ago
    Chess-yeah, the company is located there. They say the product line I'm looking at is German sourced white oak.

http://www.tekahardwoodflooring.com
  • Kesha
    5 years ago
    Jennifer, that looks nice. Does a local flooring company sell it?
  • Jennifer Svensson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yeah, I found them via a local floor company, but they didn’t have a lot of samples so I called the Kentwood HQ and they kindly gave me their outside sales rep’s phone number so I chatted with him and he sent me a bunch of samples to my home- the Saluki was one of them. I would never have considered or ordered it had he not sent me a sample so good for him! And me. :) we were going for Glace Bay, but it was significantly more expensive than Saluki.(thicker veneer and special treatment to create a certain pearly sheen).

• Chessie
    5 years ago

I really like the Antique Sea Fog, but it is a UV Oil finish and there is no way I am getting oiled floors.

• Jennifer Svensson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I found a Norwegian company with a nice selection of floors, Boen, but I had a difficult time finding reps in the US. Boen.com. Kährs is a swedish flooring company and more easily sourced in the US but the ones I liked from them were oiled and I know too little about that finish to want to go with it. My local floor rep says oil is great but ugh, I don’t know..

• Chessie
    5 years ago

Jennifer Svensson, oiled is a LOT of work. Every year. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Jennifer Svensson thanked Chessie
  • strategery
    5 years ago

Never heard of Hallmark or TEKA.

• Jennifer Svensson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

There are sooo many companies once you start looking. And a lot of more companies if you add those that do custom made etc, (I loved Carlisle, but sheesh I don’t make enough money to pay $15+/sqft (floor only).. )

• nelsmama
    5 years ago
    These were the Viking big sky collection
  • PRO
    Oak & Broad
    5 years ago

We have some pretty nice options under $10 per SQ FT and its made in America. Here are just a few :-)

Low Gloss Custom Finishes · More Info

• Kesha
    5 years ago
    Nelsmama, those floors are gorgeous.

Oak and Broad, the floors you offer are stunning!
  • Kesha
    5 years ago

nelsmama, do you mind me asking how much the Viking floors were approx per sq foot?

• nelsmama
    5 years ago

Checking, I will get back to you, Whatever flooring you get it may be worthwhile to purchase a box to lay it out and see the color little bit more difficult with a small samples I originally had a different color pIcked and when it delivered they stated that the colors have been darker so they brought a few boxes in and we declined chose another color that we had Purchased a box and when came they were quite a bit more red tone then got these and love love love them These are also a pretty thick engineered floor which would enable you to have more refinishing if you needed

• C Thoman
    4 years ago

nelsmama... I'm looking at the Viking Big Sky Alberta (color). Are you happy with your floors now that you've had them for awhile? Is the finish holding up well? Love the look!

• User
    4 years ago

Same here. Looking at viking big sky greycliffs. Can you share your experience one year out?

• Christine Kaufman
    last year

@User and @C Thoman did you end up going with Viking?

• C Thoman
    last year

Christine Kaufman- Yes, we went with the Viking Big Sky and I believe the color was Reyes. We've lived in the house for 1.5 years now and I am obsessed with the floors. They are absolutely gorgeous and durable. I couldn't be happier and they are truely one of my favorite features in the house.

• Christine Kaufman
    last year
    last modified: last year

@C Thoman Thank you! Any chance you can post a couple pics of the floor -- so hard to judge from the samples. We looked at Snow Lake but its hickory and looks very white in all the pics. Thanks again for the perspective!

• C Thoman
    last year

This is a pretty good representation of the color...perhaps just a touch darker than in real life. I will say that because these floors are fumed wood (not stained) the color from sample to sample in various flooring stores varied alot. We ordered a box in to confirm and approve the color and then secured everything from that lot early on so we could count on the color we approved. Hope that makes sense. They really are gorgeous and very easy to work around with all decor colors.